New Everton Manager

Next ex-Everton manager

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the small club thing is being made into a bigger issue than it is to be honest. Certainly my main issues with him are that I think he'd be a generally uninspiring appointment anyway, that I think he plays the exact opposite of the football I want to see, and that I think he's just a truly awful fit for where we are as a club. The Liverpool connection and small club comments are just what pushes him from the 'I really don't want him' bracket into the 'Absolutely not' bracket.

People are different, I don't think you're wrong for saying you can forgive and forget but I also fully understand why others see it differently. It's a little bit like a partner cheating I suppose, some people will take them back and others will literally never speak another word to them, it's just the way it is.

I'd say the cheating spouse one if actually a pretty good analogy here. The relationship is never quite the same. It's not to say you can't have a happy relationship afterwards and live happily etc, but it's never quite the same. I'm not sure if you ever really trust the person again. It does feel a bit this way with Benitez.
To continue on that analogy though, in those situations whenever there is any disagreement, it will always be referred back to. A bit like the small team/club thing. It's always going to be referred back to.

A couple of other points I'd add, is the media can have a field day with it. Any time Everton set up defensively away from home, that is going to be the question from the media isn't it- "did you set up to play as a small club today Rafael"? That was always the stupidity of his statement- that clubs with lesser resources have to be pragmatic, and this fella is about as pragmatic and defensive as you can get, even when managing a side with loads of resources. It might not eve be Everton fan's who cause an issue, but it is a big rod for his own back now.

The other point, is he normally gets away with his divisiveness because he can claim to get fans on board. I don't think he is going to be in that situation here at all. So some of his tricks he tries to defect attention just aren't going to work.

A bit like Allardyce, I really wouldn't be surprised if things go quite sour quite quickly, and not because of his LFC connections per se, but because of the mans character and his inability to manipulate things to suit his own ends. He is quite a dislikeable, two faced and manipulative person (a bit like Allardyce) and I think that will shine through quite quickly.

Maybe just maybe these highly successful businessmen conducting the 4/5 interviews with each candidate have listened to each of their plans for the team based on their analysis and think that Rafael has a better evaluation and plan going forward?

they may have spoken to nuno, galtier and the Swiss bloke who’s won nothing and decided they don’t have a clear plan to address weaknesses?

There probably is something in that.

They may have concluded it just wasn't worth it. The "selling" club holds all of the aces and we would have been on dangerous ground making an indirect / illegal approach, after recent history.

Even if you get your man, it takes weeks in time spent + compensation. Not that compensation would have been a big issue for Potter, but Brighton or any other club for example, aren't ever going to hand over their manager without a fight, and who would blame them.

It doesn't appear to be as big an issue in Europe, but culturally as much as anything else, it's just frowned upon here. It's also a factor that other PL clubs don't seem to have as high an opinion of our status as we do. It isn't like Madrid approaching Ancelotti, they had all that sewn up before Everton would have been told.

I'd say the Silva/Koeman experience has probably taught them that we are not the draw they like to think we are, and we can get into serious hot water.

We don't need a manager for this, we have a DoF who "should" be doing this....

Regardless of a manager being here or not, Brands should be doing this - I think we all know they will have a clean slate under a new manager though.
Judging by the recruitment process it feels like brands is a DoF in name only or at least in the context of the first team

Maybe just maybe these highly successful businessmen conducting the 4/5 interviews with each candidate have listened to each of their plans for the team based on their analysis and think that Rafael has a better evaluation and plan going forward?

they may have spoken to nuno, galtier and the Swiss bloke who’s won nothing and decided they don’t have a clear plan to address weaknesses?
They've got it bang on up to now, no missteps. Just look back at all those trophies and top 4 finishes, wait, what?

I think the small club thing is being made into a bigger issue than it is to be honest. Certainly my main issues with him are that I think he'd be a generally uninspiring appointment anyway, that I think he plays the exact opposite of the football I want to see, and that I think he's just a truly awful fit for where we are as a club. The Liverpool connection and small club comments are just what pushes him from the 'I really don't want him' bracket into the 'Absolutely not' bracket.

People are different, I don't think you're wrong for saying you can forgive and forget but I also fully understand why others see it differently. It's a little bit like a partner cheating I suppose, some people will take them back and others will literally never speak another word to them, it's just the way it is.
This is very true.

"It's great to be back in Liverpool..."

Fv1v9eK.gif

Interesting quotes on Favre from Dortmund players (from a Palace article on the Athletic):

“Unfortunately, we only take risks in spaces where the gain is fairly small but defensive consequences can be huge,” said Dortmund’s Germany centre-back Mats Hummels at the time.

“We are not a team that can defend particularly well,” was Reus’s take on the situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.