New Everton Manager

Next ex-Everton manager

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Carlo is gone. After 18 months, the status is a tenth place, and the worst football since the Walter Smith period. Let it be, move on.
Ad to that what Carlo spent and the squad he had compared to Walter, he was a massive let down for us, and for himself really, a very rare win at Anfield, at a time when everyone was beating them, and a deflected goal to win at Arsenal papered over no cracks

All these people who are going to stop going the game if Rafael gets it. Looking forward to the extra legroom at Goodison!

Personally feel that we just have to get over ourselves - whether it's Rafael or someone else - and be prepared to appoint the best person for the job, even if that means they have ties to Liverpool. I wonder how many people would be bothered if we were appointing Rodgers or Klopp etc? Is it just because Rafael is particularly hated?

In other nations/cities it's quite normal for players/managers to cross the divide. You do what's best for your club to win a trophy. Petty small-mindedness and bitterness can become a barrier to success if you let it.
Think of how many players have played for both Milan clubs (Seedorf, Ronaldo, Pirlo, Zlatan, Davids, Crespo, Vieri). You've got the likes of Figo who crossed from Barca to Real. Tevez from Utd to City.

And there are times it's worked with managers:

Spurs' only trophy since 1991 - George Graham won it.
Benitez won the UEFA Cup with Chelsea despite being hated by their fans.
Mourinho was Barca through and through but ended up managing Real Madrid and winning a cup and a league.
Sven Goran Erikssen managed Roman in the 80s and then had his most successful time as a manager at Lazio.

I'm not saying Rafael is the right man for the job - or that I want him. In fact I'm quite happy with Nuno. But I'm quite struck by the scale of reaction and how many people are basically saying they won't support the club if he's manager. Honestly, just strikes me as small-time and stupid.

And before anyone asks - I'm a scouser and I hate Liverpool.

Disagree completely.

Whilst the performances petered out and were largely meh for a good two thirds of the season that's simply because his hand was forced and his 'senior' players let him down badly, which is well documented to a man. That is despite some actual fantastic performances on the flip side of that coin (first third of the season) and some equally great results including Anfield and the Emirates. We ended the season with a better return overall than the previous two.

There's no way those performances would've carried on into next season, I was confident of that, but now unfortunately we'll never truly know.

My point still stands - he wasn't 'failing' whilst he was here.. he failed because he walked away and that's it.
The performances were the same from the day he started until the last game save for a 5-7 game run. I have no where near the level of confidence that he'd have magically solved it and I don't even really think he cared to.

All these people who are going to stop going the game if Rafael gets it. Looking forward to the extra legroom at Goodison!

Personally feel that we just have to get over ourselves - whether it's Rafael or someone else - and be prepared to appoint the best person for the job, even if that means they have ties to Liverpool. I wonder how many people would be bothered if we were appointing Rodgers or Klopp etc? Is it just because Rafael is particularly hated?

In other nations/cities it's quite normal for players/managers to cross the divide. You do what's best for your club to win a trophy. Petty small-mindedness and bitterness can become a barrier to success if you let it.
Think of how many players have played for both Milan clubs (Seedorf, Ronaldo, Pirlo, Zlatan, Davids, Crespo, Vieri). You've got the likes of Figo who crossed from Barca to Real. Tevez from Utd to City.

And there are times it's worked with managers:

Spurs' only trophy since 1991 - George Graham won it.
Benitez won the UEFA Cup with Chelsea despite being hated by their fans.
Mourinho was Barca through and through but ended up managing Real Madrid and winning a cup and a league.
Sven Goran Erikssen managed Roman in the 80s and then had his most successful time as a manager at Lazio.

I'm not saying Rafael is the right man for the job - or that I want him. In fact I'm quite happy with Nuno. But I'm quite struck by the scale of reaction and how many people are basically saying they won't support the club if he's manager. Honestly, just strikes me as small-time and stupid.

And before anyone asks - I'm a scouser and I hate Liverpool.
More examples: Kevin Sheedy and Johnny Morrissey both played for Liverpool before signing for Everton. They weren’t bad….

My concern about Rafael isn’t about his previous employers. It’s about whether he’s the right manager for us for the next 5 years. And I don’t think he is.

Ad to that what Carlo spent and the squad he had compared to Walter, he was a massive let down for us, and for himself really, a very rare win at Anfield, at a time when everyone was beating them, and a deflected goal to win at Arsenal papered over no cracks

…to be fair, a number of very decent away results & good away form. His problems were at home, not having the personnel or organisation to put teams under sustained pressure at Goodison, we were sitting ducks.

…to be fair, a number of very decent away results & good away form. His problems were at home, not having the personnel or organisation to put teams under sustained pressure at Goodison, we were sitting ducks.
An issue he (and Brands) were clearly aware of and were set to address this summer.

For whatever exact reason, which we may never truly find out, he seemed all too happy to drop us like a lead weight and take up the Real job in the same breath.

For me this is still very much a 'what could've been' narrative, especially when the two frontrunners for his succession appear to be Nuno Espirito f'in Santo and Rafael f'in Benitez....... (n)

More examples: Kevin Sheedy and Johnny Morrissey both played for Liverpool before signing for Everton. They weren’t bad….

My concern about Rafael isn’t about his previous employers. It’s about whether he’s the right manager for us for the next 5 years. And I don’t think he is.
Which is a perfectly rational and acceptable position to hold.

It's the "I'M DONE WITH EVERTON IF Rafael GETS IT" that I find incredible

Somebody can't count. That says 10 games, but then again that wouldn't suit your narrative, his first game in charge I believe came 2 days after his appointment, so barely even met the team. He actually only had 9 games to save them.

He flopped. Allardyce out performed him, he got them relegated with a game to spare. Truth hurt?

Status
Not open for further replies.