New Everton Manager

Next ex-Everton manager

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

….it might be a little different for folks living in the City. Benitez has already disrespected Everton & if his tenure goes wrong, they’d call him their agent and give him even greater hero status.

I rate him as a manager but I think the club would take a major risk if his appointment failed. in this case, I’d put our self-respect ahead of him being a decent Everton manager. He might be a decent choice but he burnt his boat as far as I’m concerned.
I think you are probably right about the "locals" and non locals thing. I am not from Liverpool - Irish living in Germany - and from my perspective I couldn't care less about the Liverpool "rivalry" stuff, which I think seriously impedes us as a club when making decisions because it is based on pure emotion. But then it's easy for me to say that. I don't have to run the gauntlet every day.

That said, whether they would call him their "agent" or not is irrelevant in the great scheme of things. The Everton board need to decide if Benitez could be successful for Everton - and indeed what the probability of that is. To some extent, Brands et al need to prove their clairvoyant capabilities with any appointment. If they get it right, then the "agent" stuff can't come into play.

Regarding our "self-respect", honestly, that stuff went out the door when the likes of Stubbs were openly selling Rooney, Kenwright was moving us to a suburban shopping centre, and David Moyes was allowed to string us along without signing a new contract only to leave us for United and use the managerial office as a tapping up shop on the premises. So, that stuff cuts no ice with me.

The only question for me is: is Benitez the best manager we can get? Personally, my view is that he is unquestionably a very good manager - however, there is a serious possibility that he is now yesterday's man. If the choice is between him and, say, Nuno, then Benitez is without question the better manager with the credentials and CV to prove it. The emotional stuff is just playground baggage. That said, I am not convinced he is their man. I think there is a twist in this tale yet.

This matter it's not about being a bitter Evertonian, it's about being a proud Evertonian imo. As you said he disrepected us once, and I won't forget about that.
If he can be a better coach than Nuno I won't care. Rooney kissed the united crest celebrated like he won the lottery when he would score against us and squared up to a fan in the stands once. We all sang his name when he scored on his second debut.

Ignoring any Kopite connections, the man has done nothing for the last decade. King reporting he’s our back up to Nuno is painful to read really. Talk about a rock and a hard place.
It's all very uninspiring but I reckon the media know nothing. At least I am telling myself that until I know for certain.

If u prefer Santo over Rafael u need your head looked at. Take your blue tinted glasses off and think about
Rafael will have the Ex Red tag hanging over him the moment we lose a couple. That is THE reason we should not appoint him. The discussion should be on players performances, tactics and substitutions. But with Rafael you know GOT here will turn on him the moment we put in a few spinless performances.

If you are not from Merseyside, it is difficult to explain to you how unacceptable the appointment of Benitez would be.

If you are from Merseyside, it should not be necessary to explain it.

As for the people who stated that it would wind up the kopites, it would not, they would think it hilarious that we had given him the job and would use it as a stick to beat us with.

Status
Not open for further replies.