New Everton Manager

Next ex-Everton manager

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think what you describe in the style of play mate is akin to counter attacking football, that was often the vogue in Serie A in the 90s. I thought Carlo was a good manager who understood the game, he could get results based on tactics often defensive systems. Was he building something here, im not convinced he was really. He made "experienced signings" for the short term and sent high energy young players out on loan. I think he saw us as a cash cow, a rung on the lader to maintain profile and tried to get results to maintain his profile, it worked and he was always a risk to be poached, he was prgmatic coach and ultimtley man. I font think he looked to the long term., i dont think he intended to be here for the long term. I actually find it a bit amusing that people are calling Nunos attacking game boring considering some of the pragmatic stuff we saw last season, id accept it was often required but a lot of it was dire. Did Calro get Everton? not so sure he did, ther eis no way we shoudl be playing out from the back and we will never win games playing possession base football, where we are in what could be loosely described as a "developmental cycle" - though i have my doubts a plan is in place.

Even before Nuno this week ive been reflecting on what i do with Everton and if im honest, i never beveled in what Carlo was trying to do in terms of philosophy or style of play, i think it was limited and we lacked a clear identity. To be honest if it was me, i would do exaclty what i think Nuno would do, with a bit of recruitment and what we have. I think counter is the way and threat down the flanks from wing back up, based on what we have and what we need to recruit, its bascially what :Leeds, Villa, WHU and Mordor do, it offers gret balance. We need more balance and an identity. Ill look at Carlo time here as a bit of an uninspiring stop gap to be honest, im not sure there was the clear direction you see - i actually see very little future proofing in what he tried to do and his style was a poor fit for the club and we lacked an identity. All opinionsmind, so all good.

But like i say if Dyce or Allardyce, did what Carlo did last season we wouldnt be as forgiving the "Carlo" label triggered a very forgiving attitude in us toward him. Some of it was awful and frankly insane, especially the playing out from the centre halfs, dint suit us at all.

Saying that Serie A is all counter attacking is like saying La Liga is all Tiki Taka and England is all pressing.

It isnt...there are multiple strategies...

Nuno is like Pep in a way or Martinez. He sticks to the same football style...the difference being he needs the opponent to make more mistakes than his team and hes ultra negative.

Ancelotti played three distinct styles last season...at the start and then changed it to ultra defensive when digne was out amongst others..and then tried a mix which didnt work.

Now with a summer and a promise of more attacking excitement Ancelotti could aim for the first style again.

In 4 years Nuno has not changed.

Theres your key differentiator.

I agree we won’t be able to clear out everyone in one go but let’s say four slugs out and five or six pacey players in and my point is we could play a different way next season
Getting shut of four will be some result, bringing in five or six with fair play rules,a miracle.

Our fan base is barely patient for Carlo Ancelotti let’s be honest, a risky choice from the unknown wouldn’t have stood a chance. That’s the biggest issue with this whole situation

Why not run a poll?

Im confident Galtier would have FAR more backing than Nuno.

Losing his two best strikers in Jimenez and Jota must have had some bearing on his change of tactics

What change of tactics?

Was about to post the same as @Tubey

We went with the high profile manager in CA and last season was on a par with some of the absolute crap Alladyce, Koeman and Silva dished up. Ancelotti was never going to build for the future, now if the board have said to Nuno this is our remit (ie younger players, building for the future) and he has agreed that as a way to go and feels he can put in place the foundations to build from going forward, I'd rather that than the absolute horror performances from last year.

It maybe a slow process but if Nuno can make inroads into the playing staff and culture then all good. I'm prepared to give time to anyone that comes into the club to see what they can do/offer.

At the end of the day, nothing can be as bad as Sheff Utd, Fulham, Newcastle, Burnley etc at home last year.

Let's wait and see what happens, sometimes managers and clubs just fit, let's pray this is one of those situations
Pretty much this
It's a wait and see through various stages job
1st Stage; the Close Season Training and this next window.
2nd Stage; 10 games in, basically when the clocks go back / bommy night - this is where many seem to hit the wall.
How are we doing results wise, football quality wise?
3rd Stage; The mad December / Christmas games rush.
4th Stage; The Jan window (swerve if at all possible) The FA Cup...stay in if at all possible.

If we all haven't drunk the Bleach by then
5th Stage; The Run In.
As always with Le Ev - more questions than answers

I think he'll get eaten alive here. Would have been much better suited to Palace where he could build his own team with little pressure on. There's a big difference between a team who are happy to stay up and us who want to finish in the top six.

So atm it looks like Nuno will be the one, I’m not happy nor disappointed he is probably the best fit from who i available, he made some good signings for wolves and he did well with them. Id have liked Dunc to be given ago but maybe it is to early, but I want our manager situation sorted so if Nuno does get it then at least we have a man in place and we can move forward with signings etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.