New Everton Manager

Next ex-Everton manager

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m just baffled that for the last few seasons Wolves have always been one of those teams that people have cryarsed about ‘they’re going to overtake us’, ‘why can they play pressing football and we can’t’ ‘ why did we not buy Neves/Neto/Traore/Jimenez/literally anyone who plays for them’

Then when we get their manager it’s ‘he plays the slowest most boring football in the league’

Grow up. Some of you need to take 5 seconds off from hating Everton.

Whoever said that was an idiot and whoever said the next bit was correct.

I’m just baffled that for the last few seasons Wolves have always been one of those teams that people have cryarsed about ‘they’re going to overtake us’, ‘why can they play pressing football and we can’t’ ‘ why did we not buy Neves/Neto/Traore/Jimenez/literally anyone who plays for them’

Then when we get their manager it’s ‘he plays the slowest most boring football in the league’

Grow up. Some of you need to take 5 seconds off from hating Everton.

Wolves don't press.

I just don’t know who people were expecting?

We’ve been burned twice now by ‘Hollywood’ managers who didn’t really want to be here. Surely we’d hope the club would learn its lesson that using money to convince a Conte to manage a team he didn’t really want to would probably not end well.

We are a mid table premier league side with a very average squad. It becomes an extremely poor squad as we have 3 or 4 top players dragging a cast of very poor players into whiny average. When they are injured we are very poor indeed. We also have an FFP problem stopping us from ploughing any meaningful investment into the club. We also have one of the worst injury records in the premier league. The media in this country don’t like us, we are sandwiched between 3 of the biggest richest clubs in Europe, and there’s 7 clubs already miles ahead of us all going for 4 spaces for CL football.

The chances of success are absolutely minimal which is probably one of the reasons Carlo bailed. A lot of managers are used to going to a different league, taking a decent team, spending a bit of money then within a season or two you’re in the CL. It won’t happen in England. They could do a great job and finish 8th twice and have the fans on their back. Why would any manager want it apart from the money or love for the club?
I suppose it boils down to how far you feel this manager can take us with his style of football.
For me I have never enjoyed counter attacking football. I find it too defensive and dreary and largely reliant on occasional moments of excitement.
Although there can be different iterations of the same overall style I believe in today’s environment success is more likely to be achieved by fast attacking football than by the passive variety.
For these reason I regard this appointment negatively and am largely unenthused.
I did not want a big name appointment just one that would play football I enjoy and I subjectively suppose would bring a greater chance of success.

I see things very simply: what's best for Everton FC.

Try it.

Haha okiedokey - problem is your "what's best for Everton FC" would include sticking with Marco Silva to League One because you never change your view on absolutely anything regardless of the evidence.

I mean good on you tbh, it's entertaining, just glad to know what side of the fence you're going to be sticking your flag up on with this one, it'll be a fun ride.

I want to be behind this appointment T, I really do, but it is so cripplingly dull, uninspired and predictable. I don’t think we have a long term plan whatsoever, Moshiri is winging it.
I think whoever was appointed would have had a massive mixture off approval or dissenters.
Have to hope that Brands was behind this appointment or it could cause some more unrest.

He's no less or bigger a risk than any of the other names linked. I dont think there's any point going over the top at the minute because there isn't one realistic manager out there who excites me.

You kinda know what you're getting with Nuno as you've seen it. Most of the others have shades of "Oooh" to add some mystery but would still be fairly unexciting overall

I see that we are in the acceptance phase of mourning "he aint dat bad yano lad think he cud do a job ere yano m8 nSnO"

He's the best of a bang average bunch with little personality and thats it. Could handle a smallish club like Wolves but following in the footsteps of the Italiano tinkerman was always going to be a poisoned chalice for any manager who hasn't won a carrot.

Should have taken a punt on Galtier at least fans would have gotten behind the bloke.

The minimum he could do is sign Traore to make me feel better seeing some raw pace and strength in the side.

Dont know if i agree with that mate and i wouldn't be as pessimistic. No 1. in general and i dont mean you here, people dont understand football. Its not about playing attacking or defensive football, its a game of balance. The best team that attacks and defends wins trophies.

I think people today are to influenced by the media saying such a team play a "lovely style of football" or "play out from the back". Frankly its rubbish and so many clubs and managers just copy each other, there is very little originality. If Pep is in vogue clubs appoint managers like him and the same idea - because that is the way. If Klopp is in vogue then we all need to press. If Conte is vogue we all need to play wing backs. Frankly speaking i thought Carlo made some woeful decisions, trying to play out from the back and play a possession based game at times, it was simply insane and risky.

There are many ways to attack and play attacking football. Nuno has a way, i watched Wolves a fair bit and i really enjoyed watching them, were they a defensive team no way, they took some huge risks. They did it a different way, i suggest in my post transition is more on the flanks, counter and support play - that to me is attacking football, i dont think people genreally understand attacking football nd has just become a tag line. Id liken how Nuno played to Moyes, were arguably two of our most attacking, creative and impactful players were Baines and Pienarr - thats an example of counter attacking football flooding through the flanks thats what Wolves did. Id also argue its what Mordor do to, all their transition comes from the flanks in their full backs and wide players, very rarely do they play out from the back and through their midfield, you couldnt really say they dont play attacking football. Im not sure people know what they mean when they talk about attacking football. The way Nuno plays is as valid in terms of attacking football as anything else. Its about getting balance, the game has always been thus. If Everton play any other way but balanced and managing risk without dropping a billion like City they are getting tonked see Martinez and Silva. We've been that solider.

As for being handed signings i dont know the truth of it really, maybe he was, maybe he wasnt, Mendes is also his empoyee - so its open to speculation. Regardless from what i see Brands and Moshiri are in bed with Jacobson, Raoliola and now Mendes. Options and choices and networks. if we are paying some lad 5 mill a year to recruit then Nuno is the lucky position of someone there who is supposed to hand him players as well.

In these conversations, my example has always been Serie A in the 90s.

Tactical, intelligent football with superb quality in defence and then strategic play to outfox the opponent when on the attack.

Alot of people find that boring. I love it and enjoy seeing top notch defenders just the same as your James Rodriguez'.

I could handle the style last season with the expectation of adding attacking players and a more exciting strategy to outfox opposition teams -- which is what Ancelotti recognised was needed with a higher line.

Instead we look set to appoint a manager who plays the same way as last season with the sole difference being fast attackers...3 at the back evert game...static centre midfield.

Its the hallmark of negativity with no progress.

It signals Moshiri has become risk averse with the stadium in the offing. 7th is the official holy grail.

If NES got us to the stage we are playing at Bramley Moore without a huge wobble then he'll consider it a decent appointment.

This feels like a 2-3 year holding exercise. I honestly hope he fulfills his contract as we can't tolerate another manager for 18 months or less.

Regroup, secure some stability, and then reconsider. That seems to be it.
Would you have said that if we had appointed him as manager after his second consecutive 7th place finish ?

Last year we saw that Wolves club seems to have run out of ambition, but that is not the managers fault.

Last season if we had lost Richarlison, DCL and Digne for just about the entire season we would have been in even deeper trouble than Wolves.

Not my preferred choice but if appointed then he has my full support.

Status
Not open for further replies.