New Everton Manager

Next ex-Everton manager

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree mate. What's the point of having a manager whose sole reason for coming is to pick up his salary.
I agree. Our set up doesn’t match the international elite. Once you have worked at the top it is step down. It’s easy to lured back to the elite clubs. We would just be a holding position for conte until a bigger club came up

Bit chicken and egg really, you can't get a champ league manager until you are in the champ league - by then you already have one.

Solskjaer just did it for United - which shows it is probably as much about the club setup and players available.

Rodgers, Arteta, Moyes, Mourinho (sort of) - just missed out.

Potter's teams look better organised and more balanced to me. Howe always looked a little kamikaze and his teams were prone to getting totally thrashed when things went bad. Potter seems to have a fairly decent balance between attack and defence from what I've seen.

Am I allowed to use xG in the answer?

If yes, there's an enormous difference

Incredibly underwhelming...

But like i said in an earlier post, if Potter had DCL, Richarlison and James in the Brighton squad OR we had Lamptey, White and Bissouma in ours...

They make the world of difference to both teams.

I've persuaded myself it is either an up and coming PL manager that wants more resources (Potter, Nuno) or a manager in a foreign league who wants a stab at the PL (er...).

Whats the difference between Potter and Howe -- apart from the poor signings Howe made ?

If Brands made the signings and Howe / Potter were the 'Head Coach' and had to use what they were given...

...whats the difference?

Howe...

I wouldn't knock anything he did in terms of getting Bournemouth to the PL and I also wouldn't overlook that it was probably an achievement to keep them there for five year, however, when you look at the numbers the actual improvement he made in the 5 years they were in the PL was negligible. Defensively in particular there was just no progression:

Untitled.jpg

Potter...

In the two seasons before Potter took over, Brighton performed more or less in line with their xG (in fact in their first season up they would have finished 18th with a par xG score). In the two seasons since Potter took over, the underlying stats have risen dramatically. Last season, even a par xG score would have had them in 5th place in the league. They underperformed by an incredible amount vs their xG. The chances of them doing this are less than 0.1%, that's how unlikely it was. So you either say they were incredibly unlucky or you say their forwards couldn't finish a bag of Quavers, or (most likely) the truth lies somewhere in the middle - he improved dramatically on his first season in the underlying metrics and that in turn was an improvement on the numbers under Hughton. His football is easy on the eye, but it's the numbers which make you stop and pay more attention.

Untitled3.jpg

Now, I get that data isn't everyone's bag on here and that's fine and xG itself is more rudimentary than some of the stuff being used today by the likes of Liverpool, Brentford, Leipzig etc but I'd venture that even if you use it as a vague reference point, it still sticks out that there's something about Potter worth looking twice at.

I’ve thought about it and I’d take a punt on Graham Potter. He’s got an identifiable style of play, something we’ve lacked for years, his teams work bloody hard, again something we rarely do, and the xG was through the roof. If his name was Giuseppe Potterino the football hipsters would be all over him.
Instead of Potter , why not Jose Bordelas or Leonardo Semplici ?

Never heard of them ? Nah nor had I but they were in charge of Getafe and Cagliari respectively last season who each came 16th in La Liga and Serie A .....same as Potter did with Brighton in the Prem.

Mind you when you factor in xG they are so much better.

Howe...

I wouldn't knock anything he did in terms of getting Bournemouth to the PL and I also wouldn't overlook that it was probably an achievement to keep them there for five year, however, when you look at the numbers the actual improvement he made in the 5 years they were in the PL was negligible. Defensively in particular there was just no progression:

View attachment 129776

Potter...

In the two seasons before Potter took over, Brighton performed more or less in line with their xG (in fact in their first season up they would have finished 18th with a par xG score). In the two seasons since Potter took over, the underlying stats have risen dramatically. Last season, even a par xG score would have had them in 5th place in the league. They underperformed by an incredible amount vs their xG. The chances of them doing this are less than 0.1%, that's how unlikely it was. So you either say they were incredibly unlucky or you say their forwards couldn't finish a bag of Quavers, or (most likely) the truth lies somewhere in the middle - he improved dramatically on his first season in the underlying metrics and that in turn was an improvement on the numbers under Hughton. His football is easy on the eye, but it's the numbers which make you stop and pay more attention.

View attachment 129778

Now, I get that data isn't everyone's bag on here and that's fine and xG itself is more rudimentary than some of the stuff being used today by the likes of Liverpool, Brentford, Leipzig etc but I'd venture that even if you use it as a vague reference point, it still sticks out that there's something about Potter worth looking twice at.

I like your spin, but you can spin it another way. In his 1st 3 seasons in the PL he did improve defending and the middle 3 seasons under Howe although they conceded more still finished higher in the table than Potter ever has. Howe also got more points in every season bar the one they went down wrongly.

You mean the Pickford shocker one? I'm pretty sure he did recover from that and had a strong finish to the season.
Yeah it’s the game we should have won, 2 goal line saves and then the sucker punch, from that moment he seemed to lose any luck he had and next 2 where draws and we never recovered, they kicked on an almost won the league

Instead of Potter , why not Jose Bordelas or Leonardo Semplici ?

Never heard of them ? Nah nor had I but they were in charge of Getafe and Cagliari respectively last season who each came 16th in La Liga and Serie A .....same as Potter did with Brighton in the Prem.

Mind you when you factor in xG they are so much better.
Bordelas has prior to this year had Getafe punching well above their weight. So I know you meant this joking but he's kind of an interesting manager. The football is pretty unwatchable though.

I like your spin, but you can spin it another way. In his 1st 3 seasons in the PL he did improve defending and the middle 3 seasons under Howe although they conceded more still finished higher in the table than Potter ever has. Howe also got more points in every season bar the one they went down wrongly.

Not really spin mate, just my interpretation of the numbers. No issue if someone looks at them and comes to a different conclusion

Yeah it’s the game we should have won, 2 goal line saves and then the sucker punch, from that moment he seemed to lose any luck he had and next 2 where draws and we never recovered, they kicked on an almost won the league
Mate we finished that season in great form. I'm not sure you're remembering this right.

Status
Not open for further replies.