New Everton Manager

Next ex-Everton manager

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
All this talk of a new manager is at least somewhat exciting. A new start. Who will it be. Will it be someone who likes good attacking football. And then....
I remember what a bunch of average often gutless squad we have and its straight back down to earth with a bump.
Optimism to bipolar in the space of a few seconds.

there seems to be a lot of potter interest, understandably so if youre an XG advocate.

but the thing is potter has undershot his XG in his last 3 seasons now, so its pretty safe to say that the XG models miss something in his system:

20/21 understat xpos 5th, actual pos 16th, 20 points short of xpts
19/20 understat xpos 13th, actual pos 15th, 7 points short of xpts
18/19 infogol xpos 5th, actual pos 10th

and he isnt a one off example. it obviously misses something in simeones system too:

athleti last 5 seasons off understat:

xpos 5 actual pos 1 ( 20 pts over xpts )
xpos 3 actual pos 3
xpos 5 actual pos 2 ( 16 pts over xpts )
xpos 3 actual pos 2 ( 17pts over xpts )
xpos 3 actual pos 3 ( 9 pts over xpts )

and theres others too, dyche is another example

so would you say XG models, which are still relatively new, still have some flaws and dont catch everything quite right? or do you believe that some managers are just always lucky, and some are always unlucky?

as ( generally ) a sane. logical person, i find it really difficult to believe the latter.

and if XG didnt exist, would anyone be saying potter?
Is there an actual explanation in his management for strikers not scoring goals though? Like if he manages us do we expect that DCL will go from average finisher to Danny Welbeck because of something he's doing? That's the thing about xG and Potter that I think you've got to figure out.

Who do you want mate Moist?

Ive honestly no idea at this point mate. I wanted a manager who would be fully engaged with the project and we could build moving forward with. I thought Carlo was that person but look how quickly his commitment went when tested. I’d love to say Sarri or Conte, both opposite ends of the spectrum style wise but how confident would I be that they wouldn’t do either a Carlo or a Koeman and jump ship at the first sign of a vacancy at a CL club? Not very.

I think Potter would be very interesting if he had another season under his belt at Brighton and showed he could buy int he transfer window and also move them up to mid table. It’s a huge risk at the moment taking a manager who will have shown no loyalty to Brighton, or that he can buy decent players, or get year on year improvement. It effectively could be Marco Silva all over again.

Which leaves this middle layer of Santo, Moyes, Benitez. All tried and trusted in the PL, none particularly that inspiring. Would I take a season or two of them sweeping the decks and getting us back into Europe? At this point probably because we’ve been a basket case for years. We’d then be infinitely more attractive to a world class manager who doesn’t have to build from a bottom half team. Would I enjoy any of their football that much? Apart from some games at home under Moyes probably not. Benitez might be a threat in the cups I suppose.

If I was Brands or Moshiri I’d love us to show the ambition we did when we took Koeman from Southampton. If Bielsa was their number one target for example then give him the 11 million we gave Ancelotti and see if it tests his resolve, likewise Emery, likewise Enrique etc. Rather than just scouring who is available it would be good to see us identify who our actual top target is and just pay what it takes to get them in.

A wildcard name, and probably massively unpopular would be Wenger. It’s not as though Moshiri and Usmanov don’t have his phone number. He’s proven class (regardless of what moronic Arsenal fans say), good in cups and consistent in the league. If nothing else he’d set a baseline for us of passing football throughout the club and might professionalise some aspects of the squad. Would he be fully behind Everton, maybe not, but I think he’s itching to get back in the game, he’d want to work with Moshiri and Usmanov again, he’s got far more pride than Koeman Silva or Ancelotti had in producing good football for us. He’d perhaps also be immune to the lure of top clubs presumably having turned down most of them at one point or another since leaving Arsenal. Do I think it would happen? No. Is he miles better than the majority of the candidates we’re looking at. Yes.

there seems to be a lot of potter interest, understandably so if youre an XG advocate.

but the thing is potter has undershot his XG in his last 3 seasons now, so its pretty safe to say that the XG models miss something in his system:

20/21 understat xpos 5th, actual pos 16th, 20 points short of xpts
19/20 understat xpos 13th, actual pos 15th, 7 points short of xpts
18/19 infogol xpos 5th, actual pos 10th

and he isnt a one off example. it obviously misses something in simeones system too:

athleti last 5 seasons off understat:

xpos 5 actual pos 1 ( 20 pts over xpts )
xpos 3 actual pos 3
xpos 5 actual pos 2 ( 16 pts over xpts )
xpos 3 actual pos 2 ( 17pts over xpts )
xpos 3 actual pos 3 ( 9 pts over xpts )

and theres others too, dyche is another example

so would you say XG models, which are still relatively new, still have some flaws and dont catch everything quite right? or do you believe that some managers are just always lucky, and some are always unlucky?

as ( generally ) a sane. logical person, i find it really difficult to believe the latter.

and if XG didnt exist, would anyone be saying potter?
You know that some people actually watch football too?

Potter's team plays good football and creates a lot of good chances that his team misses. You don't need to know about xg to see that. Just having a half competent Welbeck in the team had them winning more games because all their other players are so turd.

I don't want him but he's a promising coach and would be interesting to see him with better players

You've got to be absolutely reeling at Carlo giving it the old up yours to Everton Football Club

Im disappointed because I want Everton to do well, in comparison to you who is still trying to win a propaganda war over a manager who has now left the club and is pretty much reviled by all. Go back to defending your favourite midfielder Thiago on the thread that attracted you from Rawk in the first place.

Im disappointed because I want Everton to do well, in comparison to you who is still trying to win a propaganda war over a manager who has now left the club and is pretty much reviled by all. Go back to defending your favourite midfielder Thiago on the thread that attracted you from Rawk in the first place.
I've got nothing to say but LOL

I’m surprised by the amount of people who would be happy with Emery. His Europa record is obviously impressive, but my god his Arsenal side were awful...

I watch the majority of Arsenal games as I live in north London and most of my mates are Arsenal unfortunately (they are indeed very stupid) and I can comfortably say that one of the worst performances I’ve ever seen in the PL was Emery’s Arsenal vs Watford at Vicarage Road 2-2.

People will think I’m exaggerating as they didn’t even lose the game, but honestly go and watch it, it’s ‘kin bizarre.

No I get that but Arsenal have been on the slide for a very long time now. He was there, what, a year? That time seems to be the anomaly in his career more than anything.

Ive honestly no idea at this point mate. I wanted a manager who would be fully engaged with the project and we could build moving forward with. I thought Carlo was that person but look how quickly his commitment went when tested. I’d love to say Sarri or Conte, both opposite ends of the spectrum style wise but how confident would I be that they wouldn’t do either a Carlo or a Koeman and jump ship at the first sign of a vacancy at a CL club? Not very.

I think Potter would be very interesting if he had another season under his belt at Brighton and showed he could buy int he transfer window and also move them up to mid table. It’s a huge risk at the moment taking a manager who will have shown no loyalty to Brighton, or that he can buy decent players, or get year on year improvement. It effectively could be Marco Silva all over again.

Which leaves this middle layer of Santo, Moyes, Benitez. All tried and trusted in the PL, none particularly that inspiring. Would I take a season or two of them sweeping the decks and getting us back into Europe? At this point probably because we’ve been a basket case for years. We’d then be infinitely more attractive to a world class manager who doesn’t have to build from a bottom half team. Would I enjoy any of their football that much? Apart from some games at home under Moyes probably not. Benitez might be a threat in the cups I suppose.

If I was Brands or Moshiri I’d love us to show the ambition we did when we took Koeman from Southampton. If Bielsa was their number one target for example then give him the 11 million we gave Ancelotti and see if it tests his resolve, likewise Emery, likewise Enrique etc. Rather than just scouring who is available it would be good to see us identify who our actual top target is and just pay what it takes to get them in.

A wildcard name, and probably massively unpopular would be Wenger. It’s not as though Moshiri and Usmanov don’t have his phone number. He’s proven class (regardless of what moronic Arsenal fans say), good in cups and consistent in the league. If nothing else he’d set a baseline for us of passing football throughout the club and might professionalise some aspects of the squad. Would he be fully behind Everton, maybe not, but I think he’s itching to get back in the game, he’d want to work with Moshiri and Usmanov again, he’s got far more pride than Koeman Silva or Ancelotti had in producing good football for us. He’d perhaps also be immune to the lure of top clubs presumably having turned down most of them at one point or another since leaving Arsenal. Do I think it would happen? No. Is he miles better than the majority of the candidates we’re looking at. Yes.

Thought Wenger retired from managing a team

wasnt looking to pick holes was was just asking out of interest.

you’re probably not a million miles away there.

stones was good for the resale value and DCL will score goals but we’ve come up short quite a few times.
Stones Digne and maybe a few others are candidates but it is a small number. My point was mostly just that looking at a manager and saying he can't sign top players so no isn't what I'd do.

We'll have an indication on Sarri tomorrow. Apparently, that's when his offer from Lazio runs out.

I suspect somebody of that ilk will be our next manager. I don't think Moshiri will wave the white flag and swallow a downgrade after the coup of landing Carlo. He'll want a top rank replacement while accepting that pretty much any replacement will be something of a step back. He's expressed admiration for Simeone in the past, and we know he has interviewed Emery before. Simeone is almost certainly unattainable, but I can't see the Mosh settling for mediocrity. The danger is he goes for an empty name - like he did with Koeman. By this I mean somebody who is high profile, probably due to a stellar playing career, but who has no managerial credentials to justify the job: somebody like Steven Gerrard, Andrea Pirlo, or Big Dunc. I can't see it.

He's had his fingers burned by anointing an up and comer before with Silva. He's more likely to "understand" the hard business antics of Ancelotti and other premium figures and accept the reality that they will always have their options.

A good European Championship for England might put Gareth Southgate into the mix. The longer this all drags on, the more likely it is that somebody managing at the Euros could become an option. Joachim Löw would have enough credibility and glamour to appeal - and he'd probably be willing to come. But he'll need a good showing in July to enter the race.

However, until we know what is happening with Sarri, Emery, and Pochettino, I'm not sure there's much happening. A quick appointment of a Nuno or somebody underwhelming like that will simply show our horizons have receded and Mosh has thrown his hat at it.

Loew's record at club level is poor and hasn't managed at that level for about 20 years. It would be a very risky one.

Status
Not open for further replies.