Everton Summer transfers 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
So sick to death of people banging on about the away record. There were no home fans in the ground! Is this really difficult to understand? The moment that changes these spineless jellyfish will be back to their usual losses.
I mentioned it, I didn't bang on like it absolves the results at home, was just adding balance to the idea this season has been totally awful. And yes it was a big factor, but does it work the other way if we have fans back will we win more home games?(almost certainly yes)... You can't say the away wins meant nothing and the results matter in the same breath can you? Agree on the spinelessness of our players though, one of our biggest issues is mentality you can see it in how we fold whenever we have a chance to kick on or the pressure is on or that we hardly ever come back from behind.

Last edited:
Ancelotti is contracted for 5 years and has expressed a hope that he will be retained beyond that point. He is clearly here for the long haul.
I think it helps if we accept that meaningful success will not be instant but will take multiple seasons of squad development to achieve.
As frustrating as it is as supporters we definitely need to try and be somewhat more patient and realistic with our expectations.
Agree very much so we need stability and patience to rebuild the squad... But I think it's more a hope Carlo will be here five years than an expectation for me...

I think we are a hard sell to quality players. It's another reason, but not the main one in my opinion that we need to hedge our bets far more on signing potential and players under the age of 24.

I don't think Ancelotti is a sell to those players, they are concerned about the here and now and Ancelotti must be yesterdays man to most of them. I can see therefore how last summers policy came about, but still its one that needs to change. Allan for example, he hasn't been a "bad" signing, but he commands a fair wedge in wages I'll bet to entice him here, is 30 now, injury-prone, and has little resale value on top of quite a decent outlay by us. We simply will not build a squad using that as a template. Nor does Ancelotti have much if any aura left at all, we finished 10th last year and thats what players will see first.

I'd be concerned that a player who is serious about progression would look at our recent history and think they should run a mile. We seem to be all hot air and no delivery. We might turn that on its head by saying there is a starting place for you here, we pay well, and have a new stadium in the offing, come and help us develop and be part of it. That's the sell, though its difficult. You can't have this discussion without mentioning Brands though, and he is where my main concerns lie. I just don't think he gets it here.

An important factor might be to reassure some players that we wouldn't stand in their way if 2-3 years in an offer to move to a bigger club came up. We all like to think that shouldn't hppen, but players are not fans like us. Its off-putting to a professional with big ambition for themselves personally if they think they will be trapped by an unrealistic transfer fee and clauses, and we might need to offer flexible contract terms and re-assurances on that.

We'd all like to keep star players for as long as possible, but realistically I'd prefer to bring players in who are hungry for their own careers first and firstmost, as that will translate on to the pitch. To me, having a reliable and effective signing that delivers consistently for a few seasons is better than not having them at all. There is always the possible flipside that we might progress to such a degree that they are happy to stay. Thats a much better scenario than another Iwobi who must think its Christmas every day.
If you're right about player recruitment then Carlo isn't the right manager.

We signed Allan last summer
He isn't dreck also we were linked with him for eighteen months it had substance. Italian transfers in the summer usually work this way all the agents get in a hotel and transfer players they mostly throw English names in to ramp up interest in their clients.

Status
Not open for further replies.