2020/21 Carlo Ancelotti

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not having that ben Godfrey, coming straight out of a relegated Norwich, in his breakthrough season...was suddenly handed a contract worth more than england international Michael keane
And Niels on 55k? Behave haha

Yeah, there's no record of our wages in the public record.

There's some reliable reports of who are our top earners, but we don't know for sure.

Ancelotti needs to bring a captain in. Coleman is good for soundbites in the press as was Jagielka but he isn't going to put a rocket under anyone. We need someone that can drag players along not just say things aren't good enough.

I also think he needs to find a default system. It doesn't mean play this way every game but most games. You always need the element of surprise but every game players were changing what was expected of them and I think it lead to some confusion.

With another summer of recruitment hopefully we will get closer to an Ancelotti style of team but next season we need to be more consistent not constantly starting games giving the opponents a goal and allowing them to sit back and just stop us scoring.
its been apparent this season with no crowds in how few "Voices" we have on the pitch, no one berating a bad pass or a mistake, we need that badly!

Spotrac. I'm guessing DCL is going to get a raise.

View attachment 128223

I'm sorry but there is no way that Nkounkou earns 2 and a half times more than Dom.

Cant say i ever felt that about schneidelin. He falls into the iwobi catergory of why did we ever buy him. Biggest crab ever.
The opening day at spurs allan and doucoure were excellent. Not even so much the quality. It was the attitude. They fought for everything.
No neither did I, but people definitely did. He was hailed as being everything we'd been lacking for his first half season, even at the end people used to talk about him falling off a cliff after the first 6 months.

It's not about saying they weren't excellent in individual games, it's about being really quick to decide that they have a different attitude or better quality based on an extremely small sample size. Allan was brilliant against West Ham about 2 weeks ago too, but all season he's been a bit up and down, and some flaws (lack of pace, tendency to be caught the wrong side of the ball, lack of positional awareness) were definitely there earlier in the season, but people didn't care because we were winning.

Last edited:

No neither did I, but people definitely did. He was hailed as being everything we'd been lacking for his half season, even at the end people used to talk about him falling off a cliff after the first 6 months.

It's not about saying they weren't excellent in individual games, it's about being really quick to decide that they have a different attitude or better quality based on an extremely small sample size. Allan was brilliant against West Ham about 2 weeks ago too, but all season he's been a bit up and down, and some flaws (lack of pace, tendency to be caught the wrong side of the ball, lack of positional awareness) were definitely there earlier in the season, but people didn't care because we were winning.

And it's another example of CA sticking with him in a certain role whereas not really playing others around him that might - I stress might - help hide those flaws and at the same time bring his strengths to the fore.

What annoys me is we saw the Davies-Allan-Doucoure thing yesterday for the first time, but in a mad diamond, with Doucoure out wide, Davies playing left... and Allan still in a holding role which just doesn't suit him.

I think we have a few better individual players, but this squad hasn't had a team in it for years. You could probably take 1 or 2 of our players and improve a number of sides in the league. But together as is, it's just not up to standard. Even the teams whose squads you think ours is favourable too, the majority have a core who have been assembled with a purpose. Ours has been assembled by a succession of failed managers whose starting tactic was to undo everything the previous manager did and do the exact opposite. Ancelotti is the 1st manager since Martinez (and maybe Allardyce if we are being fair) to come in and try and work with what he had and adapt our playing style to fit accordingly.

The answer is not to start again with another new manager and start the whole thing over again. The answer is to have patience and belief in the plan.

Honestly, people keep saying Ancelotti should have another window and see how we're doing by Christmas. This is insane. For me, while he keeps us safe in the league, he should have 2 years minimum to do what needs to be done and we should be supportive and patient in doing so.

We are not going to fix anything long term by continuing to make the same mistakes over and over again and just hoping we get lucky. More than any other team who ever existed, Everton should not be pinning their hopes on a roll of the dice.
I agree with your conclusion but I think the bit about other teams is just the sort of thing fans of all clubs say to explain away stuff that doesn't seem logical to them. Managers having squads made up of players signed by other people is just par for the course, and part of the point of having a DoF is to stop that being an issue. If we've not done that then it's a failing of the club, it's not just bad luck. Managers have to get the best out of what's available to them, including finding systems that suit players, fostering team spirit, instilling the right work ethic, and recruiting the right personalities to add to the mix. I'm not sure we've managed to do that.

Not having that ben Godfrey, coming straight out of a relegated Norwich, in his breakthrough season...was suddenly handed a contract worth more than england international Michael keane
And Niels on 55k? Behave haha

I would be shocked if Nkounkou was on a tenth of that.

I agree with your conclusion but I think the bit about other teams is just the sort of thing fans of all clubs say to explain away stuff that doesn't seem logical to them. Managers having squads made up of players signed by other people is just par for the course, and part of the point of having a DoF is to stop that being an issue. If we've not done that then it's a failing of the club, it's not just bad luck. Managers have to get the best out of what's available to them, including finding systems that suit players, fostering team spirit, instilling the right work ethic, and recruiting the right personalities to add to the mix. I'm not sure we've managed to do that.

All this is true. People seem to genuinely think a manager’s job is to just pick a match day squad on a weekend.

On Boxing Day we were 2nd with 29 points from the first 15 games so just under 2 points per game. Over the last 23 games we have only amassed 30 points with a goal difference of -8.

That simply isn't good enough, if we continue that form next season then we will be looking at a bottom half finish with less than 50 points.

I agree, but the problem within that is we went from Moyes to Martinez with no directors in place. Then we got a new owner and appointed our 1st DOF and a new manager who made it very clear that the previous manager was totally wrong about everything and went out of his way to do everything the opposite way to prove it. This meant alienating and replacing almost half of an entire squad in 2 years, and it failed spectacularly and expensively. So we appointed a 2nd manager to try and fix his mess, and let's be fair to Allardyce, we all knew it was a temporary, damage limitation tactic. Allardyce said what we all knew, the squad was a mess, but he wasnt well liked, so everyone dismissed it.

So we go and get a new Director of football and a new manager, both of whom felt that the previous approach was wrong. This negates the consistency of the DOF approach, as it was a complete reset. The new manager had similar ideas/ideals to Martinez, and was once again, a complete 180 from the previous approach. Unfortunately, like Martinez and Koeman before him, he was so stubborn and inflexible, that he refused to alter his approach for anyone, and if plan A didn't work, plan B was trying plan A again. On top of this, he was about as charismatic a leader as Gary Megson, and he had neither the tactical nous nor the gravitas or pull to alter things in a different way. At least Koeman was a name, even if he was an arrogant bully who didn't care. But safe to say, it didn't work. Again.

Then, the stars aligned, and we had the opportunity to sign Ancelotti, 1 of the best most revered coaches in the world. On top of being available, he brings experience, exposure, calmness, connections, and a track record of winning. He is also a student of the game, trained under Arrigo Sacchi and is tactically astute as well as pragmatic, something we have been calling out for for years.

But the problem with appointing someone of his calibre, is people expect miracles.

The squad was patchy when Martinez failed to get players to believe in his methods.

Koeman made a bad squad worse by selling 3 of the best young stars in the squad and wasting hundreds of millions on overly expensive, older, bang average journeyman players in hopes of a quick fix to make us the best of the rest.

Allardyce took over his mess and realised there were no goals in the team, so spent another small fortune on 2 more quick fix short term signings.

Silva went the other way and spent even more money on expensive cast offs (and Richarlison) from other teams.

Ancelotti is 1 COVID interrupted year in to trying to fix 7 years of topsy turvy mis management and is left with the onerous task of the squad rebuild Moyes left us with in 2013, but hamstrung by the expensive flops that prevent any meaningful movement 1 way or the other.

He needs 2 years minimum from now, and if that means 2 years of treading water until we are in a position to challenge again, then so be it. Sometimes you need to take a step back to take 2 steps forward, and this seems like 1 of those occasions. We need a bit of patience.

Football is never ending. Not getting Europe in year 1 is not a big deal in the grand scheme of things.

Ancelotti needs to bring a captain in. Coleman is good for soundbites in the press as was Jagielka but he isn't going to put a rocket under anyone. We need someone that can drag players along not just say things aren't good enough.

I also think he needs to find a default system. It doesn't mean play this way every game but most games. You always need the element of surprise but every game players were changing what was expected of them and I think it lead to some confusion.

With another summer of recruitment hopefully we will get closer to an Ancelotti style of team but next season we need to be more consistent not constantly starting games giving the opponents a goal and allowing them to sit back and just stop us scoring.
You can’t blame Coleman for this.
I agree that ancelotti need another season but I think the football has been terrible and results overall inexcusable

Status
Not open for further replies.