2020/21 Marcel Brands

Status
Not open for further replies.
No mate, i'm saying if Jose Bloggez then scored 10 goals from midfield he would be hailed as the signing of the century. People might moan on here on the day we signed him, but who really cares about that? If they produced the goods they'd be loved and Brands would get praised to the hilt. Possibly the 2 most universally loved Everton players of my lifetime were signed from Milwall and Sligo Rovers for a combined total of less than £2m, the most derided have pretty much all been 'big' signings who have constantly had the millstone round their neck of a big fee and big expectations, so even when they actually do pretty well it's not seen as good enough. There's absolutely no doubt at all that an unknown player who came here for a modest fee and was successful would be an absolute hero.

But the reaction to when they sign here is exactly what I was talking about originally.

If they cost £2m or £200m and do the business then they'd be lauded a hero but I mean that's just ridiculously obvious.

But the reaction to when they sign here is exactly what I was talking about originally.

If they cost £2m or £200m and do the business then they'd be lauded a hero but I mean that's just ridiculously obvious.
But again, who cares whether fans on a forum are immediately happy when we sign a player? It just seems like such a bizarre thing to even consider that it seemed ridiculous to think that could be what you meant.

But again, who cares whether fans on a forum are immediately happy when we sign a player? It just seems like such a bizarre thing to even consider that it seemed ridiculous to think that could be what you meant.

Where do I suggest the feelings of fans on a forum dictates what the club actually does in the market?

I know when and who it was who signed him, point is, the attitude of the fanbase still hasn't changed despite Gueye being our best player aside from Lukaku over the last few years.

Since Moshiri has been at the Club the fans want nothing but big name signings, throwing the cash about like we have an infinite amount. We need to stop chasing the names and getting ripped off for £20m+ as its clear signing only £20m+ players doesnt always work, our squad is littered with them and we're utter shabite.

Dunno. Don't think there's many that believe we should carry on that way.

Where do I suggest the feelings of fans on a forum dictates what the club actually does in the market?
You didn't? And I didn't suggest you did? I'm just saying the idea that fans won't be happy if we sign players from the championship or the Czech league or whatever is just nonsense. Signings who turn out good will be popular, signings who don't won't. People want us to be successful, and many people will see 'big' signings as the best way to do that. For that reason there might be a lukewarm reaction to signing certain players (although I don't recall Godfrey for example being an unpopular signing) but ultimately every single signing will be judged on their performances.

@MikelsGoat I think he's calling you out mate.

Maybe bookmark your own posts you absolute guttersnipe?

And when you can't vault you cN always screenshot.

Posted on 'Marcel Brands' thread

Screenshot_20210524-113455_Chrome.jpg

In terms of league placement, we've got less competitive since he's become DoF. We've finished 12th and 10th since he was promoted to the board.

I've spent years defending him, encouraging patience - he was very clear he needed time to shift out players to create space to rebuild and he was right - but it's crunch time now.

Would he have got the job in 2018 if he pitched we'd finish 8th, 12th, and 10th? Unlikely.

I also think he's added to the problem of the bad attitude of this team. Stop signing players who signed as a last resort. We mess about with players like Magalhaes forever. Mina (waited and waited until there was no other offer on the table), Kean (since admitted he didn't want to leave Juventus, his team), Iwobi leaving his team in Arsenal to come here to setup his own company and cry about his best position - not to mention Delph, Bernard etc

Feel like a broken record at the end of every season the last few years, but ill say it again cos one year they'll get it right.

Absolutely key summer this year for recruitment... Younger, hungrier, players with pace and power. is it that much to ask for? A right hand side which badly needs 2 players, we went from having a black hole in the centre of the park to a non existent right hand side (even though it wasn't great the year before), and no left winger.

Surely its not just obvious to us what the holes in the squad are.

If Brands is the one pulling the trigger on the signings he has to shoulder the blame for the failures.

Of which there have been many.

I'm sure it's a collaborative effort, but the buck stops with him.

Couple of bright spots, but you need a higher rate of success than he's currently getting.

The biggest issue is the lack of salable assets and the mountain of dead wood clogging up the squad.

In terms of league placement, we've got less competitive since he's become DoF. We've finished 12th and 10th since he was promoted to the board.

I've spent years defending him, encouraging patience - he was very clear he needed time to shift out players to create space to rebuild and he was right - but it's crunch time now.

Would he have got the job in 2018 if he pitched we'd finish 8th, 12th, and 10th? Unlikely.

I also think he's added to the problem of the bad attitude of this team. Stop signing players who signed as a last resort. We mess about with players like Magalhaes forever. Mina (waited and waited until there was no other offer on the table), Kean (since admitted he didn't want to leave Juventus, his team), Iwobi leaving his team in Arsenal to come here to setup his own company and cry about his best position - not to mention Delph, Bernard etc
It does feel like players are signed with little consideration of culture, mentality, and fit. That's chucked down to the manager to handle. Now, there are those who I've seen argue that it is the managers job to do this. To a point, most good strategic managers or directors have a good sense of organisational/team culture and recruit accordingly.

Moyes had a clear idea of what he wanted and those who stepped out of line were soon gone. Many gave him pelters for it "only gets in 'good lads' who'll do what he wants", but its actually quite important. A huge disconnect it seems at the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.