Top 4 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some of our fans actually think we will beat City because they have nothing to play for . The worst possible thing for us is they will want to put a show on for their returning fans for the first time this season, especially with the title being presented.They could send out their ladies team and still do us.

Will that be our lowest position all season?
It's a shame.

I don't take this season very seriously really. Fans in for some games. The rules changing all the time. It's all been pretty silly.
It's passed the time but hopefully next year we'll get back to the footie.

Yes it's pretty obvious with fans our record at Goodison would have been better, if next season we can keep up a large percentage of the away form we will do alright. It's going to be a disappointing end but hopefully that kicks starts some quality recruitment. In a way some good can come out of this as if we had beaten Newcastle, Fulham, Sheffield and Burnley at home and points wise everyone would have thought that was pretty good and maybe we would be talking about 1 or 2 players coming in. That would have just been masking the issues though.

Regardless of where we finish, for me the real issue is the football EFC has played has been turgid at best, which is really disappointing. I spoke to my son about it, he reckoned I'm probably exercising some sort of bias, relating to picking faults in the thing you are emotionally invested in, which is affecting my objectivity. I just think we played crap all season with the exception of Liverpool away and Tottenham in the cup.

Regardless of where we finish, for me the real issue is the football EFC has played has been turgid at best, which is really disappointing. I spoke to my son about it, he reckoned I'm probably exercising some sort of bias, relating to picking faults in the thing you are emotionally invested in, which is affecting my objectivity. I just think we played crap all season with the exception of Liverpool away and Tottenham in the cup.
I doubt many will argue that the football hasnt been dire all season.

But honestly, I dont watch Everton for entertainment, I watch films, TV shows, City for that.

A large portion of our fanbase only care about pretty football, for me its results, results, results, pretty football.

Of course the results, at home, have also been very, very bad.

Cheers Mikelsgoat,

I'm not obsessed with pretty football, I just despair at some of the decisions our players make on the pitch and the lack of imagination in our play.

I think it should also be said that 'pretty' football can be very helpful in winning games.

For example I don't know if you saw Brighton 2-0 Tottenham this season? They tore them apart with bold, adventurous passing and movement and won the game.

Cheers Mikelsgoat,

I'm not obsessed with pretty football, I just despair at some of the decisions our players make on the pitch and the lack of imagination in our play.

I think it should also be said that 'pretty' football can be very helpful in winning games.

For example I don't know if you saw Brighton 2-0 Tottenham this season? They tore them apart with bold, adventurous passing and movement and won the game.
The last time Brighton beat Spurs 2-0 was in 1908.

So no, I missed that 1.

Does anyone know watt happens if Chelsea finish 5th but win the champions league. I e heard 5 teams will go in the champions league. But do 2 still go into the europa?

so it will go down to 8th?

Does anyone know watt happens if Chelsea finish 5th but win the champions league. I e heard 5 teams will go in the champions league. But do 2 still go into the europa?

so it will go down to 8th?
Good question and I cant find the answer.

Only this :

How many English teams qualify for Europe?​

Seven Premier League teams qualify for Europe - but it could be eight if Chelsea win the Champions League without qualifying for Europe through domestic football (which seems unlikely to happen).

If an English team win a European tournament - and qualify for one through domestic football - it does not free up a European space for another English team.

It could also mean instead of four Champions League teams, two in the Europa League and one in the Europa Conference League, the number of teams in each of those tournaments could change.

So its possible we "lose" a Europa spot?

The last time Brighton beat Spurs 2-0 was in 1908.

So no, I missed that 1.
Humble apologies, it was Brighton 1-0 Tottenham. Connolly came on and had a great chance to make it 2-0 late on...caused confusion in my simple mind.

Anyway a sterling example of being deliberately obtuse - well done!

Humble apologies, it was Brighton 1-0 Tottenham. Connolly came on and had a great chance to make it 2-0 late on...caused confusion in my simple mind.

Anyway a sterling example of being deliberately obtuse - well done!
Not obtuse, we beat Spurs 1-0, so why should I be impressed?

Not obtuse, we beat Spurs 1-0, so why should I be impressed?
My point is this: I feel there is a school of thought which believes that playing, for want of a better word, 'pretty' football somehow jeopardises the chances of winning games, I don't think that's necessarily the case. Although there will always be examples to support both sides of the argument.

Regarding you being impressed, we can agree to disagree. I just remember watching that game and thinking Brighton played really well and it would be great to witness Everton giving a similar performance.

I should add that, in my opinion, DCL's header against Spurs was a thing of beauty also.

Status
Not open for further replies.