Top 4 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Been absolutely mental. We’d get played off the park by Fulham and people were coming on here talking up our top 4 chances the next day.
There was a period of time before xmas I thought we had a chance but wasnt fooled by our 3 point wins. It was very rare I was impressed and to be honest very very disappointed with Carlos tactics v mid and lower table teams. It was for me a case other teams with real good players, off form. I knew that and knew they would come back. I also knew if we kept playing with the same lack of intensity they would pass us and so they did so I was guessing prob 9th/10th place and was wondering what mad men kept thinking top 4.

We could quite easily finish outside top 10 with Leeds and villa passing us. I wonder to myself is it me being negative or just a realist in thinking we are a bang average mid table team capable of getting the odd good result.

What tells me I am correct is not only what I see but the the vast vast majority of supporters from outside out club think the exact same. To them we are no better than the likes of villa.mid table meh ( on a positive note the season is nearly over and an essential transfer window is open)

The results pattern of the season has a significant psychological effect on how the season is viewed. The relatively strong period of results earlier on created some momentum and a sense of something better to come. Expectations then came up against a brick wall as results began to slide and now it’s a sense that the season is a damp squib.

Flip some results around, finish the season with a bit of a surge and you go into the summer on a bit of a high.

There was a period of time before xmas I thought we had a chance but wasnt fooled by our 3 point wins. It was very rare I was impressed and to be honest very very disappointed with Carlos tactics v mid and lower table teams. It was for me a case other teams with real good players, off form. I knew that and knew they would come back. I also knew if we kept playing with the same lack of intensity they would pass us and so they did so I was guessing prob 9th/10th place and was wondering what mad men kept thinking top 4.

We could quite easily finish outside top 10 with Leeds and villa passing us. I wonder to myself is it me being negative or just a realist in thinking we are a bang average mid table team capable of getting the odd good result.

What tells me I am correct is not only what I see but the the vast vast majority of supporters from outside out club think the exact same. To them we are no better than the likes of villa.mid table meh ( on a positive note the season is nearly over and an essential transfer window is open)
Villa with 2 wins finish on 55pts. We have 56pts.

Ultimately we failed to get top 4 but the fact this was a discussion that was open until the last week of the season shows we have improved. Next season will be open again with the Euros tiring players and the upheaval to accommodate a World Cup. If we can do some sensible business in the summer we will be amongst it again.

We will finish 10th now,even if we win tonight.Leeds,who were 5 points behind us 2 weeks ago having played two games more, will probably best finish above us,they are
at home to west brom and have a better goal difference,so we will need something at City.Our poor goal difference could cost us a few million in prize money.

I think we are finishing 10th, even if we beat Wolves, guaranteed we aren`t getting anything against City, of course there will always be hope and that is exactly what kills you as an Evertonian. Here is the reason why I say that.

6th Tottenham 59pts +22GD, Villa (h) & Leicester (a)
7th West Ham 59pts +10GD, West Brom (a) & Southampton (h)
8th Leeds Utd 56pts +6GD, West Brom (h)
9th Everton 56pts +3GD, W v Wolves & L v City = 59pts maximum IMO
10th Arsenal 55pts +12GD, Palace (a) & Brighton (h)

I think we will get 59pts maximum IF we beat Wolves, that means Spurs and West Ham are already out of our reach due to GD. Leeds will beat West Brom and finish with 59 with better GD and Arsenal only need a win and a draw v Palace and Brighton to finish above us which I think they will do easily.

We have regressed since last season, we have become a defensive (Park the bus) team ala Dyche, Allardyce & Mourinho. This may well be down to the players but the manager has to take a lot of responsiblilty for that. A manager that that has never finished outside the top 6 in any league, comes to Everton and is faced with the real possibility he is going to finish 10th. How Everton is that!

Wouldnt shock me to see us finishing 7th and in the conference league.
Feel the same. Wouldn't be surprised to see 4-6 points in the last 2 games and that be enough for 7th. Spurs have 2 hard fixtures and a fair bit of controversy around them currently.

Sheff United defeat was damaging though. 3 points there and probably 3 points from last 2 games gets 6th or 7th.

Feel the same. Wouldn't be surprised to see 4-6 points in the last 2 games and that be enough for 7th. Spurs have 2 hard fixtures and a fair bit of controversy around them currently.

Sheff United defeat was damaging though. 3 points there and probably 3 points from last 2 games gets 6th or 7th.

Isnt that the club as it has always been. Nearly there, but not quite and falling just short more consistently than performances.

Isnt that the club as it has always been. Nearly there, but not quite and falling just short more consistently than performances.
Maybe. And maybe this another similar cycle, with different players under a different head coach. Maybe it isn't though. Maybe it's slow progression and building a platform for future seasons. Progress will never happen in a linear trajectory. There's always going to be dips.

I personally just don't see the value in carrying the failure of other managers and players and projecting them onto the current squad. It doesn't help and it starts to become a self fulfilling prophecy once you hit a dip.

With the fanbase I do think we need to let go of past failures. Also part of the fanbase needs to let go with their obsession of other teams and how their 'success' then reflects back on this team. It would be a much healthier environment for potential success rather than the frustrated, angst ridden malaise that currently grips the fanbase for 99% of the time.

People will read the above and think I'm glossing over the weaknesses or trying to deflect blame. I'm not. It's equally correct to say that the team needs significant improvement but also has a decent platform to build and push for Top 6 over the next season or 2. It's also not mutually exclusive to say the fans can be a huge asset for Everton players and managers but at the same time they can easily drag a team down when maybe it's not warranted.

So we will finish 10th probably.
The squad is so poor and has been poorly ‘directed/managed’ for the last few years.
It was obvious we needed different striking options and an attacking midfielder in the summer and more so in January.
Thankfully never had to pay to sit and watch it live. Thanks Covid.

Status
Not open for further replies.