2020/21 Carlo Ancelotti

Status
Not open for further replies.
No they arent.

Stats are ok, but in isolation they are useless.

Everton are a perfect point in case, if you looked at the stats of most of our games, they would paint a picture of a side that hasn't won many games, yet in the real world, we have won vastly more than we lost.
It can also be turned upside down: Because football is a complex sport with many simultaneous variables, it is easy for different types of biases to make you see what you want / expect to see.

All statistics can be misused, just as all research in general can be misused - the solution is to be able to recognize good method use and common pitfalls. This requires that more people learn to use statistics, not that we give up and rest on qualitative thinking - we have Roy Keane, Gary Neville and Jamie Carragher for that.

It can also be turned upside down: Because football is a complex sport with many simultaneous variables, it is easy for different types of biases to make you see what you want / expect to see.

All statistics can be misused, just as all research in general can be misused - the solution is to be able to recognize good method use and common pitfalls. This requires that more people learn to use statistics, not that we give up and rest on qualitative thinking - we have Roy Keane, Gary Neville and Jamie Carragher for that.
Noted Grounded theorists and ethnographic experts.

You sound like a man who knows his linear regression from his power calculation.

Noted Grounded theorists and ethnographic experts.

You sound like a man who knows his linear regression from his power calculation.
Ah, linear regression - them wuz the days of my youth. Didn't have the slightest idea about it, even back then, when I was being taught it. Wouldn't so much as recognise linear regression now, even if it walked up and smacked me in the mouth.

Ah, linear regression - them wuz the days of my youth. Didn't have the slightest idea about it, even back then, when I was being taught it. Wouldn't so much as recognise linear regression now, even if it walked up and smacked me in the mouth.
Take it easy, it's just about outdated. It is taught in universities just as one teaches Socrates, Plato, etc.

You can't get through many good universities without courses on things like philosophy and religion. You can get through almost all of them without touching statistics, much less the most basic applications such as linear regression.

And then people wonder why science isn't respected, or why bad science is commonly accepted. If you don't give people the tools to discriminate good information from bad, they'll tend to believe whatever they're predisposed to believe.

Because James does things like pass the ball forward and has an impact from open play. Gylfi may be available every week but he's rarely impactful and even less impactful when you look at open play.
Penalty and against Chelsea - 1 -0

Assist for Minas winner against Arsenal 2-1

Penalty and winner against Sheffield United 1-0

FA Cup Game against Spurs 1 Goal 3 Assists 5-4

Pen at the Pit

Assist for the winner against Southampton to Richy 1-0

Assist for the winner against West Brom to Richy 1-0

Brace against Tottenham to win us a vital point.

So this season Siggy has won us 16 points this season. Europe doesnt happen without him in the team.

Penalty and against Chelsea - 1 -0

Assist for Minas winner against Arsenal 2-1

Penalty and winner against Sheffield United 1-0

FA Cup Game against Spurs 1 Goal 3 Assists 5-4

Pen at the Pit

Assist for the winner against Southampton to Richy 1-0

Assist for the winner against West Brom to Richy 1-0

Brace against Tottenham to win us a vital point.

So this season Siggy has won us 16 points this season. Europe doesnt happen without him in the team.
Penalty

Corner

Sheffield United wasn't a pen

FA Cup game is literally an outlier in his entire Everton career

Penalty

Open play, we'll come back to that.

Corner.

One pen, one open play.

What I see is a player who makes an impact on penalties and set plays and more or less does little else. Yeah the he's popped up here and there, but 2000 league minutes for 3 goals and 1 assist outside of set plays isn't very good. And we've got other guys in the team who can take pens and corners. It isn't a scarce commodity for us.

The longer we convince ourselves we need to play Gylfi the longer we keep a lid on how good the team can be.

Penalty

Corner

Sheffield United wasn't a pen

FA Cup game is literally an outlier in his entire Everton career

Penalty

Open play, we'll come back to that.

Corner.

One pen, one open play.

What I see is a player who makes an impact on penalties and set plays and more or less does little else. Yeah the he's popped up here and there, but 2000 league minutes for 3 goals and 1 assist outside of set plays isn't very good. And we've got other guys in the team who can take pens and corners. It isn't a scarce commodity for us.

The longer we convince ourselves we need to play Gylfi the longer we keep a lid on how good the team can be.
My argument isnt to convince ourselves that we need Gylfi but its unfair the treatment he gets by our fans. Hes done a lot more than the rest but there's plenty who get a free pass. Carlo likes Siggy hes been captain loads of times, i woudnt be surprised if he stays.

Status
Not open for further replies.