New Everton Stadium Discussion

Time to get celtic and rangers in. Last year we picked up 130 million for finishing 10th. Celtic 4 million for winning the league. Wouldn't take them long to be a force

The solution to 6 clubs bailing is not to get others to bail on their own leagues as a replacement, as attractive as that souunds

I’m not sure what they’ve proposed is really what they want, but their target is some sort of middle ground where those 12 clubs are always guaranteed CL qualifying and promise to stay inside the current system if they do.
Personally I hope that these up start clubs do leave and we can get rid of the media associated with it.
I just hope the German and French clubs stand firm.

The more I think about it the more I think the situation is a win win for USM.

If the Top 6 leave and the PL becomes strong again over time with Everton as one of the front runners - USM own one of the biggest clubs in the leagie.

Or if the league flat lines and this mythical Super League expands over time then Everton would be invited at some stage certainly if they had some 52k world class stadium and the fanbase size etc.

For me I cant see this not going ahead as scheduled regardless of what happens. Usmanov is a VERY wealthy man and whatever is needed to be paid towards the £500 million stadium isnt massive money for a bloke worth over £12+ billion if the banks start getting funny over what they are willing to lend etc.

The more I think about it the more I think the situation is a win win for USM.

If the Top 6 leave and the PL becomes strong again over time with Everton as one of the front runners - USM own one of the biggest clubs in the leagie.

Or if the league flat lines and this mythical Super League expands over time then Everton would be invited at some stage certainly if they had some 52k world class stadium and the fanbase size etc.

For me I cant see this not going ahead as scheduled regardless of what happens. Usmanov is a VERY wealthy man and whatever is needed to be paid towards the £500 million stadium isnt massive money for a bloke worth over £12+ billion if the banks start getting funny over what they are willing to lend etc.

£17+ Billions

None of this is really new. These clubs have been trying for years to solidify their position as the biggest earner in football
Basically they don't want any more upstarts like Man City coming in and upsetting the gravy train.

The European league would be the icing on the cake but domestic football is the cake.
Everton owners will have been aware of all that is going on as indeed has all the other clubs.

There is no way this is a surprise to anyone.

As pointed out by someone else earlier this is really a negotiation tactic.

The question is does the game need these clubs more than the clubs need the domestic game .

Even if Everton were involved I don't think the idea of being in a league with another fourteen clubs with no relegation or promotion involved and playing clubs all over Europe but not so much at home would hold any interest for me.

Just a few random thoughts. Yes the amount of money the PL has would be massively reduced but guess what? So would the wages of the players who play in it. The best players would go the the ESL but the best players have gone to the richest clubs for the last 30 years in any case. Rooney anyone?

I'd look like it as a kind of relegation. The PL would be devalued but I'd still like to win it. Are you not going to go to GP/BMD when we are at home to Villa or Leeds just because Man City are playing AC Milan live on telly at the same time? You would have stopped going if we'd have gone down against Wimbledon or Coventry? If it happens it would be a shock to the finances of lots of clubs but most would survive. Football clubs and their fans are a lot more resilient than most people give them credit for.
There's a bit more to it than that though isn't there. If you get relegated you dream of picking yourselves up and getting back up there. In this scenario its a closed shop. It's genuinely game changing, in the literal sense. Playing in a league where every game is effectively a dead rubber because no matter what happens you'll never be able to reach the top level is a huge shift, and will undoubtedly affect how fans see games.

If they get kicked out of their domestic league then the whole concept falls apart. No one will be interested in a closed shop league of exhibition games, with a single winner and 11 (or 19 if they find their extra teams) who get nothing with no prospect of qualifying for anything else.