2020/21 Tom Davies

Status
Not open for further replies.
?

But lets not piss the bed.

He is a useful squad player. As yesterday's bench demonstrated, you need a squad.
He is only 22.
He is exposed in a midfield without someone like Doucoure or Allan. He did well at Anfield alongside Doucoure/Gomes.

I think his better Everton performances come in a team that has some balance.

We need better, but he's a useful squad player.

Sometimes, just sometimes someone isn't world class or the absolute worst. There's a middle ground. Average still exists.
I’m just sick of hearing he’s only 22 he’s only 22. He’s been around the first team for 5 yrs and played, must be close to 150 games.

He’s a useful squad if we don’t get injuries abs he spends the whole season on the bench, he’s not if we get injuries and he has to play 30 games. The lads awful. Square on when receives a pass. He either turns into trouble, miss controls it or ends up on his backside. He’s slower than me and I’m 50. Contributes nothing the other way.

His career going forward , is basically him playing as a defensive midfielder. You see how Dom has been in the gym to build himself up, it’s all about marginal gains, as they say. So why isn’t Tom doing that? Get fitter so he can run all day, stronger so he doesn’t lose every 50/50. Maybe he’s happy to be a squad player at is home town club and stroll around town. Maybe he’s just not ambitious.

Same excuses with Gomes. Still getting over his injury. Is my 2nd favourite. After he’d be great alongside runners. IE Keane & Vieira

I’m frustrated by his inability to offer even a minimal goalscoring threat when in good positions. Two opportunities last night were wasted, a weak header yards wide and what should have been a powerful shot troubling their GK went way over the bar. I’m not expecting him to head like DCL or shoot like James , but this was basic stuff, no real pressure on him and he should have been working the GK on at least one of them.

I like him in the 6.
Wasn't so good yesterday but 'out of position'. You could see how much better he is in that position than Mason, knows where to be as an option on the ball for his centre halves and wing backs.

Think he's a good squad player in the 6 me. Don't get the vitriol and hysteria on here about him tbf. Better option than what we have in most of the reserve positions

Squad player maybe.. but not in a squad with 5 midfield crocks.
Still falls over under the slightest pressure.

Useful squad player, still only 22.

He's exposed in a midfield with no balance with every player seemingly told to play their own game - with Rodriguez/Sigurdsson

Right, he's value for wages and the kind of guy that champions have in the side. He doesn't have the players surrounding him that champion sides have.

He's never a guy that you want playing in a crucial match - look at how Fernandes crossed him up in that switch off with Digne to create the space for the goal from outside the box. He's not going to shut down elite attackers.

What he can do is soak minutes as a rotation player. Put him in there with a pair of solid midfielders and he's fine for 90 against most opponents; you bring him on for 30 minutes in a won game because he's not going to gift goals to the opposition, or at the end of a match hopelessly lost beyond recovery. He's a team player and a hard worker. You never feel like he's not giving his all.

Champion sides have guys like that. You do not want 23 Galacticos in the dressing room. It explodes from the force of clashing egos.

You also don't win anything with ten injured Galacticos and 13 squad players. The squad players are forced to perform roles they can't handle, and you fail to win with sides fully capable of winning.

I like him, but he's a joke at this level. I don't even want him on the bench next season. Holgate too, he's nothing but a scrapper, might do ok for a team fighting relegation.

Right, he's value for wages and the kind of guy that champions have in the side. He doesn't have the players surrounding him that champion sides have.

He's never a guy that you want playing in a crucial match - look at how Fernandes crossed him up in that switch off with Digne to create the space for the goal from outside the box. He's not going to shut down elite attackers.

What he can do is soak minutes as a rotation player. Put him in there with a pair of solid midfielders and he's fine for 90 against most opponents; you bring him on for 30 minutes in a won game because he's not going to gift goals to the opposition, or at the end of a match hopelessly lost beyond recovery. He's a team player and a hard worker. You never feel like he's not giving his all.

Champion sides have guys like that. You do not want 23 Galacticos in the dressing room. It explodes from the force of clashing egos.

You also don't win anything with ten injured Galacticos and 13 squad players. The squad players are forced to perform roles they can't handle, and you fail to win with sides fully capable of winning.
Champion sides have players like Tom Davies? I’ve literally heard it all now.

Still needs a haircut and a shave
I would give him a transfer if he asked but we do need a squad
If we are playing 4-4-2 then we need 6CM
Allan -Gbamin -Doucoure - Davies plus 2 starting midfielders
However even as a squad member he will need to be replaced eventually

Holgate surprised me with the accuracy of some his long passes yesterday
Collectors pieces, Holgate is a mostly putrid passer of the ball, even short easy ones. His positional sense it terrible, seems more concerned with looking cool. I don't think he has the brain for good football. Like I say, I do think he could do a job for some real strugglers, Watford, Sunderland types.

Status
Not open for further replies.