Match Thread Brighton HA v Everton - Preview, Match Report and MotM Poll.

Everton Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Need to put in to perspective, we dont like talking about it and making excuses but the injutoes have hampered our season. Winning at Anfield I thought the real push was gonna happen getting Allan back and then Doucoure got injured one of our most influencial players this season. I trust Carlio, he knows what is as his disposal he's worked around top players his whole career, he's knows the score. It's a WIP and lets not forget the ground is pivotal to Everton becoming a force in the game. I honestly believe it.

Well we've got a full team of injuries, had to field 6 defenders, and to be frank we were pretty rubbish, but at least were not losing. Oh and we've missed Doucoure massively

The season is all but done in my opinion. I don’t think the players have given up on Europe but we’ve run out of legs and the truth is we simply aren’t good enough – especially with so many first team players out injured. We don’t have a squad, we don’t have options! The players we have left, James and Godfrey aside are all the same players that have failed the last 2-3 managers so it’s no surprise they’re struggling again. I said last night and I’ll stand by it, I’m not sure where our next win is coming from and I wouldn’t be surprised if we didn’t pick up another win this season and yes that’s dramatic and things change quickly but I struggle to find a team in the league that puts in less effort than us. Brighton ran rings around us last night. Palace strolled through our midfield like it wasn’t there last week. Baring the first 5 games of the season I can’t think of a game we dominated? I do think bad luck plays its part… Carlo brought in an entire new midfield for the season and they’ve not played together since the first derby in October.. again, you're then stuck relying on the same players that have let down previous managers countless times but still. Adam Lallana is 32 and he was sprinting past our midfield last night like a sprightly teenager.

This summer is massive now. I don’t see the point in bringing in a manager of Carlo’s calibre to not give him the players he needs to get results. If the plan is you need to work with these same players that have flopped and failed year after year and drag something out of them then we may as well have brought Moyes back. That’s what he’s a master at and that’s what he’s doing at West Ham right now. Carlo is obviously the great manager, one of the best in the world but to get your monies worth you need to give him the tools to do the job to the best of his ability and players like Michael Keane, Alex Iwobi, Mo Besic (yep, a Martinez signing is still on the books), Gylfi – who’s legs went the same season we signed him, DELPH!!!!…. These players can’t give any more to the cause because they don’t have the mentality or ability too.

That’s not to say Carlo hasn’t improved the players. When they’ve stuck to his game plan they’ve got result they’d never have gotten under previous managers and you look at Dom, Richie and even Davies to a degree and you can see if a player is willing to listen and learn he can improve them but the majority of our squad accept mediocracy and that mindset won’t change until we have better quality and more winners.

DCL, Richie, James, Allan, Doucoure, Godfrey and Digne are safe in my opinion. Maybe throw Coleman in there too as captain but he shouldn’t be anywhere near our starting line up next year.

Anyone else in the squad could be sold tomorrow and I honestly don’t think it’s a big loss.

Anyway, that’s my incoherent Tuesday morning rant. 4 days now to see how many more injuries can be picked up at UFC Finch Farm before we send out the under 18’s to face Spurs.

Not the best but we all live to see another day.

Still on the optimistic side that once we get this strange season out of the way, get a few bodies in we will be OK.

Massively missed Calvert-Lewin holding the ball up, would have been able to get James in the game more.

There was enough fight there but they seem down at the moment and lacking that bit of confidence on the ball.

Drawing away at Brighton is not the issue, it is the missed opportunities at home, if we had just won a couple of the games we should be winning that would be seen as a good battling draw. However, we didn't so it is seen as a poor draw and another missed opportunity.

In other words, not too bothered about drawing away from home to a team looking to fight their way to a calm safe place in the table with a few games to go, especially with the personnel missing.

Probably the most turgid performance of the season. Set up not to lose and didn't, but probably deserved to.

But Jebus Christinho that was a bad watch.

MOM Richy for me, great work rate for the team, link up play 100, fed off scraps, looked dangerous throughout. Otherwise give it Ben God who was solid as usual.

Injuries have been a burden we know, but the big signings of James, Allan, Docoure have not been on the pitch much.

A midfield comprising Davies and Siggy is awful that we know. I will say it again we should be giving the younger players a try instead of these, at least they would have the energy and want to make a go of it. Broadhead at 88 mins is not much.

We "should" be in the fight for top 4 this season..dropping 6 points to newcastle, the late goal against palace, last nights drab performance. 12 points just there we could have easily grabbed. We are out of it now I think but there is undeniable progress this season. Our squad is still desperately thin when you compare it to the likes of Chelsea, RS and Spurs. The recent injuries have undone us, Doucoure is a huge miss for me. If we can add a couple of quality players in the summer we have a good chance for going up another notch next season, problem is this season was a golden opportunity to finish in the top 4. Everyone is so up and down, fans back in stadiums may see things return to "normal".

We've blown almost every chance we've had to make and consolidate a place higher up the ladder, due to all sorts of combinations of errors, both on field and off.
Delph going off after breaking into a trot Vs Burnley allowed Ancelotti to 'luck into' the 4 amigos across the back
Should he have stuck to it and played it as many times as he had 4 of a kind to do it...'probably' gets my vote.
It got us some good results Vs decent...no offence, but better teams than Brighton, Newcastle, Palace.
Would Neo Italianate Moyes-esque KITAP1 have got us more points that we have now...who knows.
With no fans at home to get on the players and the board backs, we may have drawn some those lost home game.
If winning is not an option - who would take a disappointing draw over a disappointing loss - Me for 1
Would it have been any worse to look at...again, probably not, it's always good to see a plan competently executed.

Digne, Allan, Doucoure, Rodriguez, DCL and Richarlson, played 6 times together, scored 17...the statto neglects to say how many we conceded - looking at our GD, quite a few youd think, but points on the board.

What Ho you Stattos! What are the figures for The 4 Amigos?

We "should" be in the fight for top 4 this season..dropping 6 points to newcastle, the late goal against palace, last nights drab performance. 12 points just there we could have easily grabbed. We are out of it now I think but there is undeniable progress this season. Our squad is still desperately thin when you compare it to the likes of Chelsea, RS and Spurs. The recent injuries have undone us, Doucoure is a huge miss for me. If we can add a couple of quality players in the summer we have a good chance for going up another notch next season, problem is this season was a golden opportunity to finish in the top 4. Everyone is so up and down, fans back in stadiums may see things return to "normal".

Even if we just got 2 points from Newcastle, 2 additional from Palace, and a win from either of them in the last week, we would be just 6 points ahead of where we are. In 6th with a game in hand to go to 57 points. This year's 'what if' games have been so so frustrating, because they always coincide with results going in our favour elsewhere. not sure Spurs, Arsenal and Liverpool will be so poor next year s we'll have to be much much better.

Do we know how we got about 4 late injuries between the end of training on Sunday and the start of the game last night?

When there have been question marks about training with Carlo at previous clubs, and you are the number of training ground injuries we have had this season, it starts to look like less of a coincidence and more of a pattern.

He now says Pickford, Allan, Gomes and DCL should be back for Friday, so I take that as none of them will play.

Getting sick of it.

Oh we hate Shankly
And we hate St John
But most of all we hate Big Ron
And we'll hang the Kopites one by one
On the banks of the Royal Blue Mersey

So to hell with Liverpool and Rangers too
We'll throw them all in the Mersey
And we'll fight fight fight
With all our might
For the lads in the Royal Blue Jersey
That brings back memories.

The game started at 5.15am here, and I started watching the recording at about 6.30. I'd had enough after 25 minutes and came here to read the match thread.

I went back later and fast forwarded to the second half and didn't get to the end. I just knew we weren't going to score and we were horrible.

I checked the result at FlashScore later in the day just in case. I'm not enjoying football right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.