2020/21 James Rodriguez

Status
Not open for further replies.
Imagine him with other actual footy players who can pass and run. Hopefully next season
Imagine him playing against a team who wear big soft sponges instead of boots, he'd probably/possibly (maybe not) get through an entire match without his eyes leaking

You can twist it the way you want it but it was James' decicion to leave. It doens't matter what Hoeness had previously said. If James wanted to stay Bayern would have bought him.
We do not know, but the reports from BM do not indicate that they would activate it. On the contrary. Everything points to the opposite. Limited playing time, in quarrel with coach and sports director, and known BM profiles who were very critical of him. Lottar Mathaus said the following about him:

Bayern have too many players only interested in themselves. [James] is one of the players who place their individual importance above the club, then they complain when they are not playing enough.

Some disciplinary problems were reported, including the fact that he arrived late for training, did not train well enough, and was all too often slightly injured.

Everton aren't Bayern Munich. We have the players we have because the top clubs don't want them. That is not an argument for why he isn't a good footballer.

The bonus for all clubs is there's more players than there are clubs, so every now and then we get a great player.
I never said he is not a good player, on the contrary. What is interesting, if we want to compete with the top clubs, is what demands they make on their players. What is interesting is to see what one has to do to be among the best. I have previously argued that I think a strategy of bringing in players like JR and Allan is unwise, and the fact that they have only played half of the total playing time this season just supports that this is a big risk.

We do not know, but the reports from BM do not indicate that they would activate it. On the contrary. Everything points to the opposite. Limited playing time, in quarrel with coach and sports director, and known BM profiles who were very critical of him. Lottar Mathaus said the following about him:

Bayern have too many players only interested in themselves. [James] is one of the players who place their individual importance above the club, then they complain when they are not playing enough.

Some disciplinary problems were reported, including the fact that he arrived late for training, did not train well enough, and was all too often slightly injured.
That is just the official report. There were news, rumors and in interviews before anything official that made it clear James wanted to return to Madrid.

I get the feeling some people don't like James for personal reasons. The criticism doesn't make any sense. Everton is not a big team that can just pick top players they want. James is injury prone and not getting younger but you need experience too in a team. And imagine how much young players can learn from James. Inspiring young players that are starting their careers is priceless.

I never said he is not a good player, on the contrary. What is interesting, if we want to compete with the top clubs, is what demands they make on their players. What is interesting is to see what one has to do to be among the best. I have previously argued that I think a strategy of bringing in players like JR and Allan is unwise, and the fact that they have only played half of the total playing time this season just supports that this is a big risk.
It's only a risk when you haven't got the squad to back it up. That isn't ancelottis fault. We are still reeling from Martinez and Koeman signings. Rodriguez and Allan have been our best players by miles when they have played. I'd rather have them playing for us than sign dependable, average players.

It's only a risk when you haven't got the squad to back it up. That isn't ancelottis fault. We are still reeling from Martinez and Koeman signings. Rodriguez and Allan have been our best players by miles when they have played. I'd rather have them playing for us than sign dependable, average players.

Ok, you say it's just a risk when we do not have a squad to back it up, at the same time you say we do not have a squad to back it up with. Then it is a risk. Or?

Ok, you say it's just a risk when we do not have a squad to back it up, at the same time you say we do not have a squad to back it up with. Then it is a risk. Or?
It is a risk, but one worth taking. They have given us more than we have lost. Our squad will improve. This isn't FIFA. You build a team over a few years.

James didn't even look 70% fit yesterday and he was still out best player in possession by a mile.

We need to improve the quality around him, and he will flourish.
I agree. JR has some qualities that no one else in Everton has. But you yourself mention the big problem. He plays too little, and there is nothing to indicate that he will start playing more games. His injury history tells the most, and it does not go in the right direction. PL is the most intensive league in the world, so how do you manage to turn this around?

I agree. JR has some qualities that no one else in Everton has. But you yourself mention the big problem. He plays too little, and there is nothing to indicate that he will start playing more games. His injury history tells the most, and it does not go in the right direction. PL is the most intensive league in the world, so how do you manage to turn this around?
So, would you rather we just didn't have him at Everton?

The key is, if we have better players around him, his impact makes that much more difference.

I think of games he has played that we have squandered, Leeds, Leicester and yesterday's game alone, 3 winnable home games where he was particularly influential, that would see us 7 points better off and 1 point from 3rd. And that's 3 games he actually played in, all of which while not even 100% fit.

That is the kind of difference he can and does make, and with better players around him, that becomes only more noticeable.

It should be further noted that without him in those games, we'd actually be 2 points worse off as he scored both of our goals in those games, as well as having 1 disallowed against Leeds.

He is so important. If you don't see it, you are choosing not to.

Status
Not open for further replies.