New Everton Stadium Discussion

Spot on fella. I don't know where this nonsense about the Commonwealth Games comes from. At the point when BMD was first mentioned the city which eventually threw their hand in (was it Durban?) was still on course to host the games. When they said they couldn't afford them was when the games were mentioned within the context of BMD.

Liverpool were going to bid for the CWG, just not that particular one. They were thinking about 2030+. What happened was, Durban got into trouble and it was pulled off them. Liverpool threw their hat in the ring, as did Birmingham. Had it been awarded to either it wouldn't be awarded to a UK City again for quite some time, so LCC had to offer something that other UK cities couldn't, and that was a games surrounding the Docks. Of course, Everton building there offered a great opportunity to sell further on it. There had been talk of them building a floating athletics track on Nelson next door. This led to some mistaking that for Everton extending onto Nelson docks also. BMD would have been the centrepiece for opening and closing, but couldn't have hosted the track and field events.

Liverpool were going to bid for the CWG, just not that particular one. They were thinking about 2030+. What happened was, Durban got into trouble and it was pulled off them. Liverpool threw their hat in the ring, as did Birmingham. Had it been awarded to either it wouldn't be awarded to a UK City again for quite some time, so LCC had to offer something that other UK cities couldn't, and that was a games surrounding the Docks. Of course, Everton building there offered a great opportunity to sell further on it. There had been talk of them building a floating athletics track on Nelson next door. This led to some mistaking that for Everton extending onto Nelson docks also. BMD would have been the centrepiece for opening and closing, but couldn't have hosted the track and field events.

I think we might of hosted the fencing

East to west frees up more space on the site, sun trajectory is less of an issue these days with hybrid pitches, artificial lighting and multiple kick-off times. Plus in anycase many large notable stadia are E-W, with little to no real detrimental effects.

The initial idea for a move to BMD was very much tied in with a CWG bid. This would've freed up a significant funding opportunity and enlarged stadium format to accommodate it. As soon as the bid was lost all went quite for quite a long period. After that the larger format was relegated.

I personally don't think you're right. The whole reason Meis opted for North South over East West was effectively due to the sun. To accommodate better tv viewing. Also, importantly, the north south option means the dock walls are kept in place better. The pitch fits exactly in to this.

The CWG may have been a red herring, the initial plans for BMD were for 60,000 fans it's the club that has come down on the capacity.

Don’t think it was personal to him. Laing wanted their own architect overseeing the project during construction if I remember correctly.

Exactly that. The People who started the Architecture firm they hired, worked with LoR as the architects on City's ground, during both stages.

Its just a process within construction. Sometimes you get notated, sometimes not. LoR have effectively become the client now, not Everton. The site belongs to LoR, meaning they call the shots. Everton will then hire a consultant to ensure that LoR stick to the brief and deliver a solution that is befitting the design and expectation. That's know as the TA role. Meis bid for both, but never got either.

I'm just saying, it'll be fans paying it off and that it's not free.

I'm delighted we have it, but that doesn't mean it's secured...or that the club once it is built are in a good place to use all the revenue from it.

if it means I’m not sitting behind a post or at the back in the upper bullens and not whacking my head on the roof when we score I’m fine with it Dave.

But I reckon ticket prices won’t be going up too much but overseas TV revenue will so I guess it’s those pesky foreigners will be and not so much me.