New Everton Stadium Discussion

I think I will only ever call it Bramley Moore.
Like Newcastle for me still play at St James, company names from sponsors dont count.
There is a stadium in Melbourne, originally called Docklands. Due to sponsors changing it has been called Colonial stadium, Telstra dome and is currently called Marvel stadium. Yes - Marvel stadium, after the kids movies.

I still call it docklands

Like Newcastle for me still play at St James, company names from sponsors dont count.
It is what the fans call it. No sponsor can change that. At least that's how it should be, sadly too many humans are easily led.

I will only call it a sponsor's name if the sponsors agree remuneration with me personally to advertise for them.

Newcastle’s ground is officially called St James Park. It was only called the Sports Direct Arena for a year or so - during which time nobody used that name.

The whole thing is a bit weird.

It was called the Sports Direct Arena ostensibly as a way to advertise the naming rights to a company willing to pay for them. Of course, Mike Ashley won’t turn down a bit of free temporary publicity for his brand, either.

The fans hated it (obviously), but when Wonga became shirt sponsors, they also received the stadium naming rights as part of the package.

Wonga were the ones who decided to forgo this and revert the stadium name back to St James Park - and it’s been that way ever since.

Renaming old grounds is a bad idea. I think you can only get away with it properly when you’re moving to a new ground.

What do you call Arsenals ground ?
I think now, personally, Arsenal's ground will always be called 'The Emirates' because it took the name prior to opening, so it's became the norm for the public.

There'll be a few who call it Ashburton Grove but not many; in fact, I bet most non-Arsenal fans have no idea of it's original, non-sponsored name.

I remember Kenwright saying he wanted to call Kings Dock “Goodison on the water,” at the time - but even he recognised there’d have to be a sponsorship name.
We can all wish that the stadium does not received a sponsored moniker, but in reality we all also understand that the funding of this stadium means its unlikely.

Unofficially, we might (probably will) still call it Bramley Moore yet there'll likely be an official name. A good compromise would be 'The USM Bramley Moore'.

USM could quite easily be slipped away over time.