Match Thread LFC 0-2 Everton 20 Feb 21 - Preview, Match Report and MotM Poll

Everton Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I think I can put down some coherent thoughts about the game tonight...I think!

I was having kittens during the game, but more down to how we've done in the past, compared to how we actually did tonight. Thought Davies was our best midfielder in the game, always made himself available to receive the ball from the centre backs or the other midfielders and got stuck in when he needed to tackle, doing both of them very well.

Keane and Holgate, I thought were magnificent as a centre back pairing tonight, Keane the better of the two, but by joy, the pair of them didn't let anything through them at all, won everything that came towards them; and while I thought Keane was a leader in defence, Holgate dealt with Mane superbly anytime Mane picked up the ball and seemed to be on his case when he needed to and didn't give him any opportunity to either con the ref (he did try but to no avail), or turn him and get in and get the shot on goal in. Godfrey in defence was as good as the pair of them also and I will never, ever, ever, tire of seeing that sliding tackle that sent the ball back into their own half, never.

Pickford, fair play to him. I'm by no means his biggest fan and have had plenty of arguments about him with friends and family, but this was him at his best. No brainfarts, commanded his area and, most crucially, made saves at important times, which in fairness to him, he has done in the past.

James, well, his quality shows even in games where he only provides it in doses and I think tonight was one of those games, but my god what a joy he is when he provides those moments of quality and like I mentioned with Pickford before, he showed that at a key moment in the game. For a relative spring chicken like me, I hope I get to enjoy someone of his quality in the flesh at Goodison sooner rather than later and I don't think I'm the only one in that camp.

On a side note, I've generally spent the whole evening/night reading through the posts on this thread and a shoutout to @Ring master and @Wat Tyler in particular for some of the twitter stuff that has encapsulated the mood and humour of Evertonians tonight. I must've liked and laughed at god knows how many posts tonight, but you two guys were repeat offenders at making me wet myself with laughter!

A different side note, @Bluerover and @thirdmantackle, I hope you two guys especially enjoyed that victory given what you've had to endure the last week or two. My condolences and best wishes go out to you guys and indeed any other blue going through tough times for whatever reason at this moment in time. Hopefully this victory has brought some comfort, however big or small, to you guys. Enjoy it while you can :)

I was there in 99. I was there in 95. Of course I’m disappointed to have missed tonight, but with fans in the ground it may have been different outcome anyway.
You’ve made me proud. I’m not a youngster anymore but I managed to share the win with my EFC family at home and despite my age I was emotional and tearful at full time.
I don’t think you’ll ever read this but if any of you do, I genuinely love each and every one of you players
Good night

Always was. Used to be more of a scorer before injuries caught up with his legs, too.

Robbed of the Golden Ball in 2014, and it was obvious from Messi's reaction to winning the award that even he knew it. His facial expression was so eloquent, and it wasn't just disappointment at losing. It was, "Are you mad? Did you watch the games? I was so not the best player. You are only giving me this because of my last name, and I am ashamed that I cannot refuse this and must accept it publicly."
I agree, he used to have more confidence scoring from outside the box but injuries and sitting too long on the bench under Zidane has had an effect on those shots but he still has a lot to give and hopefully the Blues can benefit from it.

James was totally robbed of the Golden Ball in 2014 and Messi totally knew it.

Status
Not open for further replies.