Match Thread Everton v Leicester City - Preview, Match Report and MotM Poll

Everton Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Some very angry ott blues on social media platforms. We dont have the divine right to win every game...other teams have good players too, and they can and are allowed to play well.
Spot on mate. Although social media straight after a match is never going to be the place for cool heads!

If we were offered to be where we are now at the beginning of the season, think the vast majority of us would have taken it.

Knowing we have our first choice midfield to return soon should give us a boost too.

I thought it was an extremely poor performance in the second half and we should have lost. First half was pretty even with a bit of class being the difference.

2nd half we did not get out of the blocks, the amount of space they were given to thread balls down the inside channels time and time again was scandalous. The only positive was that we got a bit lucky and stayed in the game and could have easily won it at the end with 3 great chances.

Doucoure back next game which should help and I would maybe drop Richarlison, he looks massively off it.

Also, Davies had a very good first half, like the rest of the team dropped off massively in the 2nd but a few times was there in good defensive positions.

I would say currently we should finish at worst 11th which would be an improvement over last season. European qualification would be a good achievement with this squad.

It wasn't the result that bothered me. Taking 4 points in the league off this Leicester side is okay.

It was the nature of the performance. Apart from a few moments we were backs to the wall and holding on for almost the whole game.

Yeah we had two centre mids out, but change something, change the system, the mentality or something.

Apologies, was just so frustrating to watch because I feel even with what we had available we could have put in a better effort.

On reflection we were fairly fortunate to get a point. We weren’t in the game at all after half time until they equalised, which was weird because we carried threat as soon as we tried to. Think Carlo set us up too negatively and took too long to make any changes too.

I’ll be very disappointed if we set up with the 4 centre backs against Newcastle. It’s very much appropriate in difficult games like last night but I want to see Coleman and Digne back at full back with a far more positive approach overall.

I still think we dont believe in ourselves enough. Last night was another massive chance to make a statement, we've had a few of them this year and fell short each time.
Looking at the players available last night, the only place on the pitch they are stronger than us is their GK and two CMs - ndidi and tielemans.. in front of that they played a 3 of Barnes, Maddison and Albrighton, i wouldnt swap that for Richy, James and Iwobi.. likewise up top id have Dom over Perez everyday. Back 4 again id take ours (playing Digne at LB mind).
But we dont believe enough to let our team attack and get our attacking players in a high enough position to influence games.
This year there are too many teams in an around our level going for europe and I feel the pragmatic approach will fall short, and its doing our best players a disservice, especially Richy.

I still think we dont believe in ourselves enough. Last night was another massive chance to make a statement, we've had a few of them this year and fell short each time.
Looking at the players available last night, the only place on the pitch they are stronger than us is their GK and two CMs - ndidi and tielemans.. in front of that they played a 3 of Barnes, Maddison and Albrighton, i wouldnt swap that for Richy, James and Iwobi.. likewise up top id have Dom over Perez everyday. Back 4 again id take ours (playing Digne at LB mind).
But we dont believe enough to let our team attack and get our attacking players in a high enough position to influence games.
This year there are too many teams in an around our level going for europe and I feel the pragmatic approach will fall short, and its doing our best players a disservice, especially Richy.
With Davies and Gomes in central midfield if we'd gone toe to toe with them last night we would have lost by 2 or 3 at least.

It wasn't the result that bothered me. Taking 4 points in the league off this Leicester side is okay.

It was the nature of the performance. Apart from a few moments we were backs to the wall and holding on for almost the whole game.

Yeah we had two centre mids out, but change something, change the system, the mentality or something.

Apologies, was just so frustrating to watch because I feel even with what we had available we could have put in a better effort.
This, bring Iwobi on at 60 mins not 80, is the very least we could have done.

With Davies and Gomes in central midfield if we'd gone toe to toe with them last night we would have lost by 2 or 3 at least.
I get the pessimism cos we've seen it before with the limited options of CM pairing.. but we should always go Digne at LB behind Richy when both are fit as thats worked consistently for us, wobes into the right gets us up the pitch and it means we have shape going forward even if playing a counter attacking system.
Sometimes we need to defend from the front rather than allowing teams to camp in our half.

The thing that bothers me the most is Richy he's been rubbish for quite a while now.

Tactically we played a sensible game last night. Why on earth would we play an open game without our best two players in midfield?

We denied them clear chances and that's how you win football matches. Unfortunately the goalkeeper cost us but I felt we were in control for long periods against a decent side. They will be top 6 this season and we have the chance to do the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.