Homepage Article Behind Enemy Lines: Sheffield Wednesday (H)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Given some of the outfits which have been in the Prem in recent times it's ludicrous a club the size of Sheffield Wednesday haven't been in the top flight for nearly 21 years.

Sheff Wed was the first away game I went too and no disrespect to the likes of Bournemouth, Fulham etc who've been in the Prem of late but I'd much rather be going to Hillsborough again than to those sorts of clubs.

I remember Wednesday having a really good side in the early 90s under Big Ron and then Trevor Francis but it all fell apart for whatever reason. It might be a long time before they're coming to Goodison as Premier League club again.

Given some of the outfits which have been in the Prem in recent times it's ludicrous a club the size of Sheffield Wednesday haven't been in the top flight for nearly 21 years.

Sheff Wed was the first away game I went too and no disrespect to the likes of Bournemouth, Fulham etc who've been in the Prem of late but I'd much rather be going to Hillsborough again than to those sorts of clubs.

I remember Wednesday having a really good side in the early 90s under Big Ron and then Trevor Francis but it all fell apart for whatever reason. It might be a long time before they're coming to Goodison as Premier League club again.
I think I can honestly say Wednesday will never ever play a first team game in Goodison Park again

Sad state of affairs when Barry Bannan is your best player... was absolutely average in his short stint in the Premier League with Aston Villa (which i've just googled and was 5 years!).

I'm shocked they haven't came under more pressure for their very dodgy Kit Manufacturing/Sponsor deal. Sponsored by Chansiri, who hasn't owned a business for 4-5 years, it's like Moshiri selling his business and sponsoring us. Manufactured by Elev8, who if you gooogle, have no record of sport manufacturing, and were created by... Chansiri. They're about to bring out a sports kit, but you don't really see Lucozade making Brighton kits, do you?
The owner is a clown. All the money he has spent, for what quite possibly could be another stint in league one. Criticism of Chansiri is immediately shouted down, on the fan sites and Facebook etc, by his lapdog cheerleaders. Leeds were a basket case as well, but then they got a new owner, hired Bielsa and the rest was history. Chansiri of course owns Hillsborough now. So that could complicate things further down the line, with regards to selling the club.

The owner is a clown. All the money he has spent, for what quite possibly could be another stint in league one. Criticism of Chansiri is immediately shouted down, on the fan sites and Facebook etc, by his lapdog cheerleaders. Leeds were a basket case as well, but then they got a new owner, hired Bielsa and the rest was history. Chansiri of course owns Hillsborough now, so that could complicate things further down the line, with regards to selling the club.

My missus' family are Wednesday fans and they loved him initally, he backed them, and they were making playoffs. They all despise him now.

But he's just too erratic, the Pulis thing for example. He came in and asked for a budget to build up the team, which Chansiri agreed, then immediately backed out of, so he resigned.

The buying of Hillsborough was a disaster and the other shady business is just a mess. Am i not right in thinking he rents it back to Wednesday on a stupidly long lease, for absolutely nothing?

My missus' family are Wednesday fans and they loved him initally, he backed them, and they were making playoffs. They all despise him now.

But he's just too erratic, the Pulis thing for example. He came in and asked for a budget to build up the team, which Chansiri agreed, then immediately backed out of, so he resigned.

The buying of Hillsborough was a disaster and the other shady business is just a mess. Am i not right in thinking he rents it back to Wednesday on a stupidly long lease, for absolutely nothing?
Yes there is a lease arrangement on the ground. To be fair to Chansiri he seems to be a nice guy, but he is very naive with regards to running a football club. He has these advisors, that give him really poor advice, and he still keeps them in a job.

They have no CEO, the managers he hired, have had no say in the transfer policy. So you have an idiot of an owner, who likes to be in control of everything. A disastrous combination! Wednesday have had a rough time of it, over the past 21 years. It could get a lot rougher though, by the time this Chansiri clown is through with them.

Yes there is a lease arrangement on the ground. To be fair to Chansiri he seems to be a nice guy, but he is very naive with regards to running a football club. He has these advisors, that give him really poor advice, and he still keeps them in a job.

They have no CEO, the managers he hired, have had no say in the transfer policy. So you have an idiot of an owner, who likes to be in control of everything. A disastrous combination! Wednesday have had a rough time of it, over the past 21 years. It could get a lot rougher though, by the time this Chansiri clown is through with them.

Historically they're a massive club, and based on that alone, probably constitutes them as a top tier side. Big fan base etc..

But the ground makes Goodison look like a palace, the team needs a complete overhaul, and Chansiri won't be selling for cheap, so i guess they're stuck.

Seems a decent bloke, sees us winning Vs Wednesday and finishing 6th...which may not be too far off the mark.

I have a feeling in me water that if we do a cup run and finish 6th...hands up who would've taken it at the start of the season? Me for 1.
We'll see it...and not for any reasons of false expectation...as a disappointment on where we could've been...all a bit Bullseye, here's what you could've won -ish
Just on the wrong side of fine margins, twas ever thus.

Considering we finished 12th last season, our lowest in 16 years, finishing 6th and with a good cup run would undoubtedly be a good season.

My preferred steel city club.
Not just the blue and white stripes, Mick Lyons.
And what a stadium.
Never been, myself.
Excellent team early 90s.
1 Goodison
2 Hillsborough
3 Highbury
4 Villa Park
5 Old Trafford

Those 5 to me in that order, are the most iconic English football grounds. Wednesday were like a dumping ground, for former Everton players in the 80's. You had Mick Lyons Martin Hodge and Imre Varadi. Alan Harper spent a season there in the late 80's, and of course Colin Harvey finished his playing career at Wednesday.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.