Match Thread Everton v Man.United Carabao Cup - Preview, Match Report & MotM Poll

Everton Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Everton is in a good run of form but not many here give us much chance of winning this match. Why are pundits constantly claiming that OGS is on the
verge of getting sacked? It's because Man Utd are rarely convincing even when they win and usually look poor when they don't. That 1-3 loss came
during a poor run of results and we're in better shape now.
To be honest a few even said at the weekend it was a chance for Arteta to turn it around.
No one rates us, but until we start to win actual trophies we wont be taken seriously.

SOME OF THE ANCELOTTI PRE MATCH MAN UTD P/C

Digne contract​

We are pleased to try and renew the contract of Digne, he is an important player for us for now, for the future.
It will not be a problem to renew his contract. He is happy with us and we are happy with him.

Gbamin update​

“The truth is Gbamin is back. We want to do a proper entry for him in the squad because he had a lot of injuries so we have to take care of him
We're taking our time with Gbamin. No injury setback

James latest​

James Rodriguez not available for tomorrow

Trophy or top four finish​

I don't know what is best (top 4 or a trophy). Tomorrow is an important game, it is the QF of a competition that Everton have never won against a very tough opponent. It is a great opportunity.

Fernandes and Manchester United threat​

I learned that if you leave space to Bruno Fernandes then you are dead - he is a fantastic player and the key point to Utd and we need to take care of this.

Fan influence​

“I think the fact we play at Goodison can be an advantage. The last games with 2,000 fans was really good I think also for this reason,
because we had support

Covid protocols​

“I think the protocol that the PL & Govt put in place to restart the season was really good. If they decide to be tested two times a week,
we have to do without any problem or doubt. The protocol is working because were able to play games

Cup importance​

We give a lot of importance to this competition. Everton never won it. We are two games from the final so it would be fantastic to play a final if possible. We are going to put out our strongest team

Busy festive period​

It's difficult but we have to adapt. For all the teams it's difficult. It's a busy period.
I think we have a squad to manage this. For all the teams it's the same

More on Manchester United​

It's a team that in general did really well. Going out of the Champions League maybe affected their supporters but United are a fantastic team & won a lot of games away. Sometimes you are not able to keep the top level all the time

More on James injury​

We are not concerned. We are sad because James is an important player for us but if he’s not able to play, not ready,
we cannot push him to come back. We have to wait.

James is working individually​

James is working individually but has to work with the team before he can return.

Carlo said he will play his best side tomorrow, so I am expecting no changes until Sheff United game.

I have a feeling Coleman plays and Keane may be rested with Holgate moving inside. Keane has played every game so far, and I don't think anyone else has.

Not expecting many changes though after the news about James.

That team would be totally overwhelmed in midfield.
What midfield, that Carlo would actually start, doesn't have a chance of getting overrun without Allan in the lineup? Don't tell me he will likely start Holgate or Godfrey in midfield. I'd love to see it as much as the next guy, but it's not gonna happen anytime soon.

The only question re James is if he's fit. Personally he and most of our squad) should be rested v City. That is the game we should sacrifice to cover the bases. No point jeapardising winnable games for one that is a lot less winnable.

But a win (Other people have won against City) or a confidence boosting performance / draw - counts for a lot, no? And we keep City away from us in the table. I never understood how players can plan to sacrifice, play within themselves or compromise effort on certain games. It leads to Schnederlin-esque behaviour

If you were to sacrifice it would be sheff Utd. Theyre the best chance of winning with a depleated squad on paper, plus we’re likely to Everton it anyway.

so in my mind it’s a free hit game.

Have to say its doubtful as they look completely adrift, but Arsenal City today could be a huge game for Arteta to reset the ship against a possibly weaker City side. If that happens assuming we get through United tomorrow, we have I would say more than a fair chance. Of course I expect Tottenham to commit resources possibly more than us considering their silverware drought. But you could be entering semi rounds and final without arguably the 4 best teams in the country.

Having Sheffield on the weekend is also a huge bonus in justifying playing our best for at least most of the match. Of course we likely will have to go through one more top team at least if we advance but generally in the EFL table and schedule overlap, its a pretty doable opportunity. Hoping for the best.

Reckon Keane will play every minute of this season unless he's injured - bar maybe that Rotherham match. He's Carlo's first-choice CB.
This. I'm no expert on reading CB's, but he hasn't looked completely gassed at all this season. He's honestly one of few that seem to consistently finish matches strongly and he doesn't seem injury prone. Would love to see his run as first-choice continue for a very long time.

Just read that Ole said he is looking to rotate the squad, unlikely Fernandes starts, suggested that Lingard, Greenwood and Cavani could all figure.

Don't have the Champions League to play for and he is arrogantly going to rotate because this 'cup' doesn't mean much to them.

I hope we batter them now.

Status
Not open for further replies.