2020/21 Ben Godfrey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Err.. why is everyone selling him already?

Okay, he could have got a bit tighter in hindsight. In that moment the striker had no run on the ball, was miles out, there was a player unmarked to the left of Godfrey and he wasn't that far from the striker anyway. If he rushed closer he could have given away a foul or else left the other player completely unmarked. I don't think it was a bad piece of defending.

Keep in mind he did clear a ball off line earlier in the game. Also got in position to clear another off the line if it had of went on target.

Generally he was decent. Kept his position well and covered with pace when needed. Performed a lot better than Holgate did, who was all over the place in the first half.

Godfrey will be alright.

....I like him too. I think he could be our best defender and that includes Holgate (who I’m not totally convinced with).

He does a lot right, but he plays a bit like a midfielder for me. He doesn't commit as much to tackles and blocks and just stands off, as he did for the goal today. He will need to learn to be a bit more aggressive. Not massively so, but he needs to get a foot closer to prevent that goal. He's 22 though, and did lots of things right today. He seems quite calm and very quick, but at this level you get puished brutally for mistakes.

Me personally, I'd happily continue with the 3 today as a back 3 for a few games to come.We have to have some serious thoughts though about who plays where in a wide position.

Lads come into a defence that is all over the place, leaking goals, has a GK behind him with ADHD and the attention span of a 2 year old yet is apparently crap and a waste of money.

Not his fault he was thrown in at the deep end and out of position the first few games. He needs to play regularly with Holgate and form a partnership and hopefully next season infront of a proper keeper.

He does a lot right, but he plays a bit like a midfielder for me. He doesn't commit as much to tackles and blocks and just stands off, as he did for the goal today. He will need to learn to be a bit more aggressive. Not massively so, but he needs to get a foot closer to prevent that goal. He's 22 though, and did lots of things right today. He seems quite calm and very quick, but at this level you get puished brutally for mistakes.

Me personally, I'd happily continue with the 3 today as a back 3 for a few games to come.We have to have some serious thoughts though about who plays where in a wide position.
Dont think we see the best of him yet.
Play a straight back 4 , with the full backs injured play Holgate RB & Nkouku LB.
Play Godrey as an orthodox Centre back like Jags was with Lescott & Distin , then we'll see the best of him.

Lads come into a defence that is all over the place, leaking goals, has a GK behind him with ADHD and the attention span of a 2 year old yet is apparently crap and a waste of money.

Not his fault he was thrown in at the deep end and out of position the first few games. He needs to play regularly with Holgate and form a partnership and hopefully next season infront of a proper keeper.

Madness people giving him [Poor language removed] i don't think he expected that shot to go in ... it was tame and not even bottom corner

Godfrey is a CDM always has been for me.

Carlo needs to stop fannying around and stick with a formation - 433.

Allan, Doucoure & Delph and if Delph gets injured swap him for Godfrey or Gbamin once he is fit- dont change the formation just because of injuries or playing Gomes out wide its just mental his management at the moment.

The sort of stuff you would expect from a novice like Silva not an experienced manager.

Status
Not open for further replies.