Match Thread Everton v Manchester United - Preview, Match Report and MotM Poll

Everton Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
We've conceded something like eleven goals in our seven league games; I believe that any team we play will feel they have a great chance of scoring against us. I just hope we've seen the end of the 'sit and wait to see what the opposition will do' (or whatever the hell we were doing against Newcastle) tactics.

Personally, I don't think that Harry Maguire is that good and feel if we can move the ball forward quickly to Dominic Calvert-Lewin we can cause Maguire, and Utd, some problems. If we sit in the midfield pointlessly passing the ball about again, then Utd will go right through us.

I got that wrong and to be fair to Harry Maguire, he had a decent solid game against us today. Still feel we needed to be more direct and move the ball forward far quicker and more decisively than we did. Personally, I feel that James could have done with missing the game as I don't believe he is fully over his 'knock' yet.

Although he looked lightweight and got knocked off the ball a couple of times, I going with Bernard for my MotM due to the energy he brought, the goal, and his linkup play with Digné.

Why do we continually play our games from the back and build up so slowly, giving the opponents all the time in the world to get back and cover. If this is down to playing to orders then I suggest you have got it very wrong Mr Ancelotti
Exactly. There have been a few posts about Evertons lack of pace in midfield but I'm not sure this is the case. When we are in full flow and one / two touch passing we look an infinitely more dangerous and quicker team. For some inexplicable reason this only tends to happen when we chase the game. Everton in 2nd gear have no right to compete with better teams or command the patience of our continuous support.

Why do we continually play our games from the back and build up so slowly, giving the opponents all the time in the world to get back and cover. If this is down to playing to orders then I suggest you have got it very wrong Mr Ancelotti

It can be an effective tactic, try to get the opposition to commit forward then utilise the space created.
You do have to work hard as a group to do both well though.

I am still in full sulk and fume mode and too frustrated to consider a MoM. We were rubbish from the moment they equalised. A bit of fitful effort from time to time but mainly playing the whole game too deep and too slow. You would think we were 4-0 up seeing out time rather than “chasing” a deficit at home to a vulnerable opponent who we have done well against in some recent games and who gave us a goal lead. And a win to go back top of course.
Rubbish lads, on and off the pitch.

Southampton play how I think an Everton team should. Full commitment, lots of energy and running, with good set plays and counter attacks.

Its depressing seeing us stroll around so lethargic. These players don't understand what is expected.

Kopites realised you only need 4-5 players who give you an 8+ / 10 every game and the rest being committed steady eddie players giving you consistent 6-7/10.

We have 3-4 who give you 8/10 like Richy, James, Digne, DCL but the problem is we have a good 3-4 who give you 3-4/10 and they are dragging us down.

Sigurdsson
Pickford
Iwobi
Tosun
Bernard
Gomes
Delph
Mina
Kenny

The list of utter tosh is endless

Reading in the Sulky thread about the terrible homesickness that is plaguing the team. I am no stranger to the insidiously pernicious impact of the ailment; some of you might have heard my tale from many years ago going on a camping trip down in Ngruawahia, a small hamlet a couple of hours south of Auckland....well it was back then...the roads are a LOT better now so it’s only about 50 mins away. Anyway, I went on camp with my schoolmate Ross Pottinger...we both boarded the bus VERY excited (although the way Potty clung onto his mum at the depot caused me a little concern...”big girl’s blouse” I thought to myself. But man, did I ever underestimate how much of a sissy Potty was!...he blubbered with homesickness the whole week! So much so that after 2 days , I asked to be moved into a different cabin that had a bit less girlie stuff happening. Suffice to say, I enjoyed my last 5 days at camp. I never really talked to Potty again...too much damage to our friendship had been done by his girlie behaviour. C’est la vie I guess.
I still want Everton to do well, but like Ross Pottinger, there is no testosterone in the team...I never watch them. I have seen firsthand the damage wrought of homesickness. Everton remains something of a basket case until we can somehow deal with homesickness issue. Personally,I feel all soy products should be banned from FF, and testosterone boosters like horny goat weed should be compulsory supplementation. We need to deal with this issue NOW; it has been swept under the carpet for too long in this PC environment which celebrates men blubbering over the slightest hardship. I would like to hear more ‘horny goat weed!!” chants outside Finch Farm and suggest we buy all the sooks that early Cure album ‘Boys don’t Cry’... so who’s with me?

...lads?

...lads?????

I love how our attacking intent was so bad that Calvert-Lewin once even won a header and got the second ball as well because nobody else was within about 30 yards of him to support.

Status
Not open for further replies.