Match Thread Newcastle United v Everton - Preview, Match Report and MotM Poll

Everton Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
And our sole goal in the offseason was to dramatically improve our midfield. Bit worrying. Really hoping to see a big response. Theres no fans in the stands, the whole "it's the pressure of the supporters" goes out the window.

This is it. We look a lot better on paper, but they're hardly bossing games even in the games we've won. I'd expect to start seeing improvement from them rather than regression, lets hope we turn up today.

This is it. We look a lot better on paper, but they're hardly bossing games even in the games we've won. I'd expect to start seeing improvement from them rather than regression, lets hope we turn up today.

I'll keep saying it but with James in the team you need the whole midfield 3 to be able to defend/get about the pitch and tackle and sadly only two of them do - Gomes/Siggurdsson are passengers and dont do enough offensively to justify them getting into the team.

Add no Richarlison and we have no support to the defence and full backs.

For me Gomes has to be upgraded on just as much as Pickford.

Considering we just had the best window in the club’s history history, we’re still at least 5 players short of being a genuine contender for a top 4 slot.

The likes of Sigurdsson & Iwobi are just not good enough.
I desperately want Mina to be the colossus we thought we’d signed. He doesn’t seem to have any focus.
Keane is massively improved. Still needs to up his agression.
If only Gomes could be the player we’ve seen in glimpses...

Just hope Ancelotti can get a tune out of them today & get the points. If we can stay in touch with the top 4 to the Jan Window, hopefully we can bring a couple in.

Reckon it should be 5 - 3 - 1-1 today . Pickford / Nkoukou / Keane / Mina / Godfrey / Kenny / Allan / Doucoure / Gomes / Bernard / DCL

Not expecting much today with the players unavailable to us. It feels a bit like the end of last season where we went into games anticipating a miserable performance and hoping, rather than expecting, for some kind of result. I just struggle to see where we can generate chances today. Dom was fed scraps last week and, with even more absentees, this is only going to be worse. Set-pieces are probably our best route to a goal, I feel.

Defensively things have to improve. If we’re constantly presenting chances to a very limited Newcastle team today, prospects of a result are slim as going forward we don’t look like carrying a threat.

When Gomes makes a mistake maybe something bad happens, but when Pickford does they score. An inconsistent GK is far worse than an inconsistent midfielder.

Not when you have James who doesn't track back.

You look at how poor Liverpool look at the back once Henderson is out the midfield and you'll appreciate why having a sloth in Gomes who cant tackle leaves us exposed in midfield when Doucoure is constantly having to cover James out wide leaving just Allan in the middle.

Status
Not open for further replies.