Match Thread Newcastle United v Everton - Preview, Match Report and MotM Poll

Everton Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a game crying out for us to be solid, first and foremost. Yes, we are weakened, but a really good side will grind out a result by being solid. If we can be hard to break down, we might even nick one at the other end ourselves, but the aim should be to ensure we are solid.

It's all very well having an attacking threat and outscoring teams, but there will be plenty of times this season where we won't be able to do that and we need to show we have something substantial to fall back on: a solid, well-organised, hard-to-beat set up. I think Carlo is the ideal man to develop that...it's the mentality and intelligence of the players I question. We need to start maturing fast. Yerry Mina is a lot of things, but solid isn't really one of them. Ditto Pickford. We've too many players - defenders, even - who are better known for going forward than for their ability to defend. Call it the Leighton Baines sydrome. Digne is a classic case in point. I love a good solid defender, but we don't have too many of those. Maybe Allan can bring some of that to defensive midfield. Speaking of which, it is now time for the Brazilian and Doucoure to step back up again. They've slipped a little in recent weeks. No better time than this weekend to reinforce standards.

Reckon it would be Davies before Delph, but if we go 4 at the back again and Kenny/Coleman remain out, it will most likely remain Godfrey. Poor guy.
Probably neither of them, but Delphi will play RB before Davies. When Coalman picked up the original injury against Brighton, Davies briefly slotted in. But he was quickly moved for Delph to take over.

Probably neither of them, but Delphi will play RB before Davies. When Coalman picked up the original injury against Brighton, Davies briefly slotted in. But he was quickly moved for Delph to take over.
Idk if these are intentional or autocorrect but I enjoy both of their new names.

Agreed, it will probably be neither, but given Davies recently slotted in at right back and is naturally right footed, I figure maybe he’d get the nod.

Idk if these are intentional or autocorrect but I enjoy both of their new names.

Agreed, it will probably be neither, but given Davies recently slotted in at right back and is naturally right footed, I figure maybe he’d get the nod.
Haha. The Oracle told me about Delphi. The other one will be an international autocorrect. Think we’ve got enough problems without Davies at RB adding to them.

Had a bad game against Southampton but a good game against Mane for Liverpool.

Wouldn't be so quick to write a player off off the back of one bad game in a position.
I agree with what you say there, but my reason for not having Godfrey as my first choice makeshift right back (if there's such a thing) is I think in a game where we'll likely have more of the ball and we'll look to bring more players forward into the attack, Godfrey is more likely to be caught out of position because there'll be more parts of the pitch where he will need to be in and for me, that's where he struggled against Southampton. You look at the Liverpool game and I also thought he had a good game, considering he was up against Mane and Robertson also going up in support as well, but I think if he's playing at right back, he's better suited there in a game where he would have to generally stay back and there's less chance of him getting caught of position.

I'm not going to write him off, more so after a game where he's played out of position, but as I've said before, I probably wouldn't play him at right back if Kenny isn't fit.

Newcastle v Everton

Referee: Stuart Attwell.
Assistants: Constantine Hatzidakis, Marc Perry.
Fourth official: Martin Atkinson.
VAR: Craig Pawson. Assistant VAR: Darren Cann.

Were Others Are

Wolves v Palace Friday
Referee: Martin Atkinson. Assistants: Lee Betts, James Mainwaring. Fourth official: John Brooks. VAR: Paul Tierney. Assistant VAR: Andy Halliday.

Sheff utd v Man City saturday
Referee: Michael Oliver. Assistants: Stuart Burt, Simon Bennett. Fourth official: Peter Bankes. VAR: Paul Tierney. Assistant VAR: Andy Halliday.

Burnley v Chelsea Saturday
Referee: David Coote. Assistants: Gary Beswick, Nick Hopton. Fourth official: Jonathan Moss. VAR: Anthony Taylor. Assistant VAR: Andy Halliday.

Liverpool v West Ham saturday
Referee: Kevin Friend. Assistants: Simon Beck, Eddie Smart. Fourth official: Craig Pawson. VAR: Chris Kavanagh. Assistant VAR: Sian Massey-Ellis.

Villa v southampton sunday
Referee: Darren England. Assistants: Adam Nunn, Dan Cook. Fourth official: Michael Oliver. VAR: Chris Kavanagh. Assistant VAR: Mark Scholes.

Man utd v Arsenal sunday
Referee: Mike Dean. Assistants: Ian Hussin, Dan Robathan. Fourth official: Anthony Taylor. VAR: Peter Bankes. Assistant VAR: Neil Davies.

Spurs v Brighton sunday
Referee: Graham Scott. Assistants: Simon Long, Tim Wood. Fourth official: Simon Hooper. VAR: Jonathan Moss. Assistant VAR: Nick Hopton.

Fulham v West Brom monday
Referee: Simon Hooper. Assistants: Derek Eaton, Neil Davies. Fourth official: Andy Madley. VAR: Kevin Friend. Assistant VAR: Simon Beck.

Leeds v Leicester monday
Referee: Andre Marriner. Assistants: Scott Ledger, Richard West. Fourth official: Robert Jones. VAR: Lee Mason. Assistant VAR: Simon Bennett.

What a catalogue of abject mediocrity.

Pickford
JJK-------Mina-----Keane-------NkNk
Allan
Doucoure----Gomes
James----------------------------------Gordon
DCL
Praying Kenny is fit
I hope he's not been rushed back in too early...and that goes for James and Allen too.
Just this once, play fit men out of position rather than go for broke with players not 100%...and potentially do them even more damage.
Yes I know the Finch Farm physios and Ancelotti see them every day etc.
But over the years its happened all too often (not just our club, they all seem to do it) and sometimes its the players fault...yeah boss, I'm sound, good to go, put me in etc

One team I always want to beat after them clowns across the park.

HHhhhhmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmMmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Status
Not open for further replies.