2020/21 Carlo Ancelotti

Status
Not open for further replies.
The reality is, in a game where we are outmatched, we probably need to be a bit more pragmatic. It’s no surprise that we have struggled against two pressing sides and we have looked disorganized in every regard in the past two games.

Carlo was probably trying to see how long we could ride the momentum and he got his answer. We just need to come up with a different game plan next time. It happens.
In terms of ability, we are not outmatched by Southampton’s players. They had more energy, and a better game plan which they executed well. We also just flat out didn’t turn up. I expect a reaction against Newcastle and then another real test against United. How we come through the next 2 games will say a lot.

In terms of ability, we are not outmatched by Southampton’s players. They had more energy, and a better game plan which they executed well. We also just flat out didn’t turn up. I expect a reaction against Newcastle and then another real test against United. How we come through the next 2 games will say a lot.
We were completely outmatched without Richarlison away from home and we were outmatched last week against a side that plays a similar style. That isn’t a coincidence. It wasn’t just about us not turning up. Carlo will make the necessary changes because that is what he is paid the big bucks for.

We were completely outmatched without Richarlison away from home and we were outmatched last week against a side that plays a similar style. That isn’t a coincidence. It wasn’t just about us not turning up. Carlo will make the necessary changes because that is what he is paid the big bucks for.
There’s a difference in being outmatched vs outplayed. We were handily outplayed by Southampton but you’re not going to convince me that they have more quality in their squad. Poor day at the office.

There was going to be a defeat at some point. We knew that the squad depth is pretty poor, and that result has confirmed that. The encouraging thing is that when everyone is available, we have a very strong team. I expect us to finish around 6th or 7th, but anything beyond that will depend on the breaks going our way, with regards to injuries and suspensions. For some reason im starting to develop a real disliking to Southampton. I can't quite put my finger on it, but i don't like them. Oh well we better dust ourselves down from this, and smash cabbage head Bruce and the geordies the next day.

Shouldn’t have taken Gomes out. Why do you change a winning team. Why do you ever play Sigurdsson.

mate both our flanks has to be changed through injury and suspension. Godfrey didn’t support James or overlap him once in the entire game. We really missed Coleman bombing forward and taking a man off James ... we also missed richy and again digne didn’t get ahead of iwobi ... well I mean he did .. just iwobi is so crap that he either lost it, gave it away, held it to long , couldn’t control it of just passed it back to the cb . So no space for James and no overlapping fullbacks also means dom has no touches in their box ...

‘nightmare’ in a derby game we drew 2-2 against a far better team than Southampton is put into context against the bumming we just got there. All that game showed is that people don’t appreciate what Gomes has been doing until Sigurdsson came in and the whole midfield fell apart.

mad me filmed before there were 3 changes to that side .. our defence, midfield and attack all changed and also across the pitch width ways .. our right , left and center were all changed . We had no left hand side as iwobi is probably the worst player in the squad , Godfrey didn’t once overlap James or occupy their lb to free James up ... gomes was iwobi levels of bad in the derby , he hasn’t been protecting the back 4 well either as we are shipping goals like nobody business and he has scored and assisted a total of zero goals

I'm not even sure it was that bad a a loss. I looked at Xg and they had around 0.6 and we had around 0.4. It was a dull game that you'd have said they shaded. A good finish and a deflected goal cost us.

Southampton are a good team too. The front 2 will cause teams problems. We were not at our best and missing some key players and ultimately we asre not good enough to churn results out when that happens.

We remain in a strong position, but we have to keep eeking points out where possible.
Sort of anecdotal and 1 swallow doesn't make a summer etc.
But the rs brother in law usually txts me 3 or 4 times a week on various topics...50% footy related mostly.
I've had all the usually 'funny' youtube clips and such - but not one peep about the footy.
Even though he is one of the better old school rs, if he's not making hay while the sunshines on 1 loss, well for now there's not much to see.

We play a system where, as we've found out, Richarlson is a key part, we've no overlapping fullbacks, and 2 of our new midfielders have knocks.
Why try - like Sunday, to play the same system?
In fact, go full KITAP1 at newcastle with 2 hibbert style fullbacks who mostly don't go more thsn 2 thirds of the way up the pitch. Young fast legs infront of them who can get up and down infront of them all day.
Then review who's fit after that game and select bodies and formation to suit.

‘nightmare’ in a derby game we drew 2-2 against a far better team than Southampton is put into context against the bumming we just got there. All that game showed is that people don’t appreciate what Gomes has been doing until Sigurdsson came in and the whole midfield fell apart.
Nothing at all to do with Richarlson being absent, James and Allen being unfit and not being able to carry him then?

mate both our flanks has to be changed through injury and suspension. Godfrey didn’t support James or overlap him once in the entire game. We really missed Coleman bombing forward and taking a man off James ... we also missed richy and again digne didn’t get ahead of iwobi ... well I mean he did .. just iwobi is so crap that he either lost it, gave it away, held it to long , couldn’t control it of just passed it back to the cb . So no space for James and no overlapping fullbacks also means dom has no touches in their box ...
I think that the Gomes / Sigurdsson decision seems worse because the team was already stretched by injuries and suspension.

For whatever reason, though, Ancelotti seems to think quite highly of Sigurdsson.

He must be fuming that he has done wonders in joust one transfer window. Has us unbeaten all season and then the two ghosts from crapmess past destroy our great start.

Really sorry about us Carlo.

Nothing at all to do with Richarlson being absent, James and Allen being unfit and not being able to carry him then?

There was loads of reasons for the loss. I’m not sure why Allan is unfit though. He was injured against West Ham which was weeks ago and has had two games since then, why is he apparently unfit? Same with James. Surely we are not playing unfit players?

I think that the Gomes / Sigurdsson decision seems worse because the team was already stretched by injuries and suspension.

For whatever reason, though, Ancelotti seems to think quite highly of Sigurdsson.

Because he can do things like hit the bar from 30 yards. Ancelotti will have wanted more goal threat and he very nearly got the desired result.

Status
Not open for further replies.