2020/21 Dominic Calvert-Lewin

Status
Not open for further replies.
My take on it is that it's the tactics. He's working on getting the Inzaghi thing into his game and hence won't be doing the Harry Kane thing and dropping deep to retrieve and engage in play. Looking at how we were unable to find him with balls on the ground through the centre yesterday, I'd say we would have been better off if we actually set up for it so that he did so.

Carlo should've given up on getting crosses in for this game, he knew well in advance that that's what they would be setting up to do.

My take on it is that it's the tactics. He's working on getting the Inzaghi thing into his game and hence won't be doing the Harry Kane thing and dropping deep to retrieve and engage in play. Looking at how we were unable to find him with balls on the ground through the centre yesterday, I'd say we would have been better off if we actually set up for it so that he did so.

Carlo should've given up on getting crosses in for this game, he knew well in advance that that's what they would be setting up to do.
Think you’re spot on there. We got no service to him, team were all over the place, created nothing and consequently he was anonymous in the role he’s now playing.

Yep. There is always that danger. As its been highlighted so much that its all about getting crosses into him. Every single show wether it be motd sky bt sport has gone on about Evertons threat. Be foolish to think other teams wont pick up on that.
Which brings me back to why iwobi. As his contribution to supplying crosses is not only non existent he takes away dignes threat aswell as he breaks down momentum in the attacks.
But its a great point. We're going to need to look at varying our game up when opposition managers clearly know our main threat and concentrate on snuffing that out.

But Calvert-Lewin is in no way good enough with his passing to do what Kane does.

That's not a slight. Kane has transformed himself into a proper old-fashioned number 10. He's as much a creator as a striker. He's simply a world class player.

Agree though, our tactics yesterday were poor. I'm sure Carlo didn't set out to do that, but the players just didn't play well and resorted to last season's default, which is probably a consequence of having too many of our back-up players in there at one time.

It was a strange decision to take Doucoure off, tbh. He wasn't great but was giving us a runner from deep. After he went off, we didn't have anyone doing that.

This is the DCL thread... for discussing DCL's performance.
On subject it's about DCL getting no service from the recast of the team does he go back on the wing to cross the ball to himself?
Your a right one for going askew of staying on subject pot calling the kettle black springs to mind :D

On subject it's about DCL getting no service from the recast of the team does he go back on the wing to cross the ball to himself?
Your a right one for going askew of staying on subject pot calling the kettle black springs to mind :D

No, but he could make some intelligent runs or at least make it difficult for their defence.

It was a poor (even very poor) performance yesterday from DCL. We shouldn't make too many excuses for him, he has credit in the bank from his recent patch of form.

No, but he could make some intelligent runs or at least make it difficult for their defence.

It was a poor (even very poor) performance yesterday from DCL. We shouldn't make too many excuses for him, he has credit in the bank from his recent patch of form.

Bit harsh that like, if you've told your striker to stay in and around the box, so that we've got someone to hit, and then you never pass to him. You could count on one finger the amount of times we put a decent ball in yesterday. Actually you couldn't cos we never did. Everton's issue is that we have no one who runs with the ball or runs from deep when Richarlison doesn't play. So the striker is completely isolated. James is never doing it, so I'm not sure what Iwobi's role was meant to be or why Bernard got the nod first, cos neither are capable of doing that. We were crying out for Barkley type to replace Sig.

But Calvert-Lewin is in no way good enough with his passing to do what Kane does.

That's not a slight. Kane has transformed himself into a proper old-fashioned number 10. He's as much a creator as a striker. He's simply a world class player.

Agree though, our tactics yesterday were poor. I'm sure Carlo didn't set out to do that, but the players just didn't play well and resorted to last season's default, which is probably a consequence of having too many of our back-up players in there at one time.

It was a strange decision to take Doucoure off, tbh. He wasn't great but was giving us a runner from deep. After he went off, we didn't have anyone doing that.
Kane at his age was never doing that - Kane is now a complete player who drifts out of his no9 role ... I agree with all that..... but he is in a better team squad than the 11 we had playing like that yesterday, but hopefully Carlo will send out a better 11 next week formation wise - as no one particularly did well....... some were atrocious..... Bernard Laughing e.g.....

All of that is spot on! Doucoure bursting forward is at the very least another body for the opposition to worry about. Delph and Allan aren’t those kind of players and even sigurdsson, whilst more attacking, doesn’t make runs or burst into the box,so was surprised by that sub.

I’m not sure I agree with the narrative that our only attacking plan this season has been to cross the ball to the head of Dom. I mean, we’d be fools not to swing crosses into the box for his coupon but we’ve been doing a lot more than that, just none of it came together yesterday so we resort to tossing the ball in the box the odd occasion we had the ball in their attacking third, particularly 2nd half when we were a ragged bunch.

I think if he sorts this part of his game - the 'Inzaghi thing' as you're saying - later he can learn to be better going wide and deeper. this is almost like year 1 of his development, another year with Carlo and the much better players around him and he'll be even better, and only 25/26

Status
Not open for further replies.