2020/21 Alex Iwobi

Status
Not open for further replies.
I understand why he started, as he’d been one of the main guys coming on in games.

But you’ve got to think tactically, he was always going to effect us negatively when Southampton play a high line with slow defenders.

I love Carlo but I dont think he's as tactically flexible as I thought he would be.

We stuck with Siggurdsson in midfield last season for months when he was stinking the place out week in week out.

And as you say today Gordon made the most sense tactically speaking yet he set up to be playing possession football against a team renowned for a high press which we struggled with last week.

Bonkers for me seeing both Iwobi & Gylfi start the game. Gordon & Delph should have been the ones to start.

I love Carlo but I dont think he's as tactically flexible as I thought he would be.

We stuck with Siggurdsson in midfield last season for months when he was stinking the place out week in week out.

And as you say today Gordon made the most sense tactically speaking yet he set up to be playing possession football against a team renowned for a high press which we struggled with last week.

Bonkers for me seeing both Iwobi & Gylfi start the game. Gordon & Delph should have been the ones to start.

I didn’t mind the Gylfi decision as I felt Gomes needed the rest, and he at the very least offers potential attacking returns (see that cross bar shot from nothing)

I also didn’t HATE that I think Carlo kind of asked them to switch positions at times to try and catch KWP out which I think created that chance.

But yeah, too similar and really gave us no pace behind the line.

If he went with Delph though he could have asked Doucouré to play a touch more fwd like he has done for Watford at times just to give us some ball progression that we lost with no Richy.

But yeah, Gordon and potentially even Nkounkou as his 60min replacement makes more sense tactically even if they’re not quite as good.

I remember once somebody said one of our players was a "waste of sperm". While I wouldn't go that far with Iwobi, I do think he's a waste of a shirt number and shouldn't even represent us again. Stinks the place out every time he's on the field. Horrible player.

Arsenal fans were doing back flips when they heard we had stumped up £28 million for him.

No pace
Unfit
Little goal threat
Barely any assists
Backs out of 50/50's
No link up play
No fight
Doesn't track back

He's the worst signing since Niasse by far for me as he'll offer us nothing and we'll get no money for him.

In his pre match interview Carlo was explaining the decision to drop Gomes and said something along the lines of Southampton are a dynamic team so I went for a change... I was thinking, right they’re a dynamic team so you’ve dropped Gomes and replaced him with Siggi? Many reasons to drop Gomes and give Siggi a shot but to add or combat dynamism isn’t one of them.

I knew he would come On and lose the ball often. I was hoping dig would do better but just the same. You have two players losing the ball in the midfield and being craps you don’t stand a chance.

He can't even run properly. He hasn't got the physicality to be a top player. Dreadful signing. And those who didn't want Zaha because he doesn't get in the starting eleven hopefully now realise it's a squad game

100% how fantastic would it be to have Zaha for that game with the players out.

Arsenal fans were doing back flips when they heard we had stumped up £28 million for him.

No pace
Unfit
Little goal threat
Barely any assists
Backs out of 50/50's
No link up play
No fight
Doesn't track back

He's the worst signing since Niasse by far for me as he'll offer us nothing and we'll get no money for him.
You stated this crap about DCL why do you pick on one player when the manager plus team play pants?

You stated this crap about DCL why do you pick on one player when the manager plus team play pants?

Problem is when your key players are missing you need the players coming in to replace them to all put in a shift - when you're carrying the likes of Iwobi & Siggurdsson it has a negative effect on the whole team.

We saw in the Spurs game what having players putting in tackles did for the whole mentality of the team - you see Iwobi strolling around, Glyfi running through treacle and Godfrey getting hammered the whole team goes to pot.

Only Godfrey had an excuse today but Iwobi for me set the tone - got into some decent positions at the start and instead of driving at the Saints full back / whipping balls in and having them on the back foot he's taking 50 touches and passing back to the midfield inviting pressure onto us.

Get rid in January.

I just can't figure out why he doesn't leave the touchline for extended periods. It bothers me because he can be okay in central areas.

He was in that spot where James loves to swing it from right to left. James sent a few of those his way, but Iwobi just kept them and got trapped on the touchline. Always tried to do too much instead of just whatever the next most basic attacking move was.

James might as well have kicked the ball into the tunnel, same result.

Status
Not open for further replies.