2020/21 Jordan Pickford

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lots of fans have been more than a bit harsh with the last minute howler shouts.
Don’t get me wrong what he did with VVD was wreckless and could have cost us dear.
However, Henderson hit a well struck shot with lots of spin on it, which took a slight bobble a few feet before reaching Pickford and ended up hitting the thumb part of his left hand spinning into the top of the net, without the bobble he makes the save.
He has been in poor form, but had a good game yesterday bar the head stagger with VVD, I think he’s gonna be our number one for the rest of this season and we shouldn’t lump unjust criticism on him.
I don’t think he’d be criticised for the Henderson ‘goal’ if people weren’t as predisposed to pile on him as they are.

Luckiest man around! Been bailed out by our boss attack all season and then yesterday by some insane officiating.
He’s technically cost us 0 points this season even though he’s made a hatful of errors.
He should’ve been sent off when we were a goal down with less than ten minutes played and we’d have likely been hammered because of his rashness. Then he conceded in the last minute and should’ve lost us the game but again we were hilariously bailed out.

Lots of fans have been more than a bit harsh with the last minute howler shouts.
Don’t get me wrong what he did with VVD was wreckless and could have cost us dear.
However, Henderson hit a well struck shot with lots of spin on it, which took a slight bobble a few feet before reaching Pickford and ended up hitting the thumb part of his left hand spinning into the top of the net, without the bobble he makes the save.
He has been in poor form, but had a good game yesterday bar the head stagger with VVD, I think he’s gonna be our number one for the rest of this season and we shouldn’t lump unjust criticism on him.
Is it a howler? Perhaps not, but it still wasn’t good enough. It’s not a question of can Pickford be a middle of the road keeper in most of our games. It’s a question of how often can Pickford win us points and limit the errors that put games in the balance. He is nowhere near world class or decent class for that matter since the infamous Silva derby. For that reason:

Obviously we disagree on Henderson’s shot and whether it should have been an easy save, either way Pickford played well yesterday and was also lucky (once for me, twice for you), but I will take lucky because for years we have been anything but, also as I just hope he can use yesterday as a chance to revert back to the keeper he showed signs of when he first came and not the one who emerged after his ‘exchanges’ with Newcastle fans.
Totally agree. I'd like nothing more than a competent keeper who just does his job without any fuss. And if Pickford becomes that keeper great

Totally agree. I'd like nothing more than a competent keeper who just does his job without any fuss. And if Pickford becomes that keeper great
I thought he made at least three saves that kept us in the game, and his distribution seems back to normal - accurate deliveries deep into the opposition half. I do not see that the collision with VD was all his fault. He was not going for the player, and he put his balls on the line.

Even last season, comparing the number of saves with the mistakes (behind a leaky defence) he earned his keep. I don't like to blame Coleman, but there was nothing Pickford could do about the first goal yesterday. And Salah's goal was not stoppable. Pickford cut his teeth with Sunderland facing more shots than anyone. He needs to keep building on his confidence now. He cannot be taller, and his arms cant grow longer, but his judgement for reading the game and his enthusiasm are what can make him a much more than averagely effective blocker. Long may his mojo continue to rise. We don't have anyone better on the books.

I grew up with Gordon West in goal - he gave everything for the team. Even the mighty Southall needed time to settle. Give Pickford time. Trust in Carlo.

;)

It was a reckless, terrible attempt to get the ball. I wonder if it was the years of abuse off the RS that made him go in that little bit too hard? Ultimately, it’s probably their own fault.

Never seen the media and pundits so up in arms over a challenge. Just seen a 5Live radio call in with Chris Sutton nearly crying over Pickford not being sent off. Full of proper red side snides the media, literally riddled with them.

I think I like him more now because of all this. He’s forgiven for his mistakes.

Status
Not open for further replies.