Proposed changes to the Premier league

Status
Not open for further replies.
With American owners increasingly showing their hand, is a 'global' champions league part of their strategy here? Given the travel requirements, it would need a reduced domestic football calendar. Am looking at a combination of the top ten (ish) European clubs, several current MLS clubs and a token one or two from South America and perhaps China. As the US grows ever more multi-cultural, footie is overtaking their historic sports in many cities.

I had been wondering why Beckham found it so easy to get backers for a new Inter Miami outfit in a city that has precisely zero football pedigree. Think there could be a global long-term money ball game at play here.
Miami is probably the only American city that has actual football fans, due to the big Latino contingent.

Off topic, but Texas is one of the strangest places on earth. I doubt the Mexicans would be allowed to openly support football teams there.
Visited Austin a couple of times
Truly a strange place
From cowboys going into diners and putting their guns behind the counter to a lad going into a dancehall with a bag with 4/5 spare polo shirts and 2 towels

The big six are already being broken up by competitive teams. Leicester, wolves and Everton are getting close. Spurs did it already. Villa and Leeds will improve over time.

That's why they suddenly want to change things.

Agreed, but I think there is a difference between the top six and the big six. The "big six" have become a definable group, if one of them finished outside the top six in a given year it wouldn't change peoples perceptions.

It's a given that there are "top" clubs and that bigger clubs will look to form alliances with each other to protect their interests and limit competition. My bone though is the criteria for inclusion. Spurs were included long before they reached the UCL final, is that based solely on commercial factors? Were they invited to join the big six or did they lobby for inclusion? Utd, Liverpool, etc must have given the green light. If they finished outside the top six for two seasons running, what happens then? Do they or any other club leave the group? Clearly not, for the most obvious reason that that scenario isn't likely to happen anyway, or if it is, as you suggest, they look to close off competition further.

There is no law against forming alliances and groups, but it takes a different turn when the 14 other clubs are asked to leave the room at a point in Premier League meetings.

You can argue we have been limited commercially by our dreadful on-pitch results and performances spanning into a 2nd generation but these proposals just represent a takeover of the league by that group. It's critical for us to be at the top table on and off the field or we will be confined to also-ran status for perpetuity.

Agreed, but I think there is a difference between the top six and the big six. The "big six" have become a definable group, if one of them finished outside the top six in a given year it wouldn't change peoples perceptions.

It's a given that there are "top" clubs and that bigger clubs will look to form alliances with each other to protect their interests and limit competition. My bone though is the criteria for inclusion. Spurs were included long before they reached the UCL final, is that based solely on commercial factors? Were they invited to join the big six or did they lobby for inclusion? Utd, Liverpool, etc must have given the green light. If they finished outside the top six for two seasons running, what happens then? Do they or any other club leave the group? Clearly not, for the most obvious reason that that scenario isn't likely to happen anyway, or if it is, as you suggest, they look to close off competition further.

There is no law against forming alliances and groups, but it takes a different turn when the 14 other clubs are asked to leave the room at a point in Premier League meetings.

You can argue we have been limited commercially by our dreadful on-pitch results and performances spanning into a 2nd generation but these proposals just represent a takeover of the league by that group. It's critical for us to be at the top table on and off the field or we will be confined to also-ran status for perpetuity.
It's only a few years ago that it was the big 4. The media are driving it but don't really care. If someone bigger and better comes along, they'll make it the big 7. They just want the circus of it to sell more.

How are you going to reduce the games by 5? You going to just play one team away and not at home ? Also this winter break is a crap idea ... I love the football over Xmas two weeks off and get to watch heaps of games. Be boring as if everyone is stuck in doors with no shops open waiting two weeks to go back to work. The Xmas period is hard on all teams equally and therefore is fair to everyone

5 games would be the ideal number to remove. Maybe one extra round of the FA Cup or something. I also love football over Christmas, but the amount of injuries is insane & it is not fair for everyone, it's an injury lottery & is often killing teams seasons. I would expect a winter break half way through Jan - Feb & agree it would be awful to lose Xmas football, but I dont think that is being discussed

Well I've explained to you that they dont.

In any medium term analysis, new teams just emerge and attract new fan viewers with the fickle market of international fans.

All evidence shows they tune in to watch the league, particularly those teams at the top. The league drives the revenue.

If they were the revenue drivers, why dont they just take Parrys advice, join the EFL, and then international viewers would all just watch the EFL? We know they wont, as we know its rubbish.

What evidence, I can find nothing to support your arguement?

If the Prem can afford to give more to the lower levels then I'm fine with that. I don't get that the price to pay is that 11 teams get shafted & have no say in it.
After a day of thinking about it my crude idea is this...
As before, give the lower tiers more money from the Prem pot, Any team playing European footy is out of the League cup, Keep 20 teams as it's lost revenue for those outside of European places, Give all Prem teams 2 votes instead of 1 but limit newly promoted teams to 1 vote, When they stay up they are rewarded with fully equal status with 2 votes to stop yo-yo clubs from major influence until they can prove they are a fully fledged Premier team. It's a slight power grab but equal across all surviving teams & not just the so called big six. Keep parachute payments but scale them back over time to stop the yo-yo clubs from leaning on it so much as the extra new funding pot will help balance the books.
It's not perfect, there are flaws but it should keep the pyramid in tact, settle lower league finances & give mainstay Premier League teams slightly more of a say albeit a tiny increase.

EFL was already getting a bail out from Premier league (admittedly it's taking some time) , it's hilarious that Parry is dressing this up as Liverpool and United saving the Pyramid and English football in general.

Man City and Chelsea aside, this will get voted against. It disgusts me every time I read this thread because of the greed and snide involved in attempting to power grab while clubs are on their knees, as if they care about anything but themselves.

Change needs to happen, I completely agree with that.

In a world where you have to expect the unexpected, I still can’t get my head around the fact that Rick Parry is still being painted in a shining light.

How do you save clubs? Better structuring. Checking finances, ensuring clubs aren’t spending above their means, and if so, managing preventative measures to stop them going under.

How are so many Championship sides allowed a wages to turnover ratio above 100%, they’re instantly going to fail, and crumble.

Set up a measure where all football league clubs have to be given a limit of 70-75% of turnover on wages. So that, they can’t sling themselves and have to rely on bailouts.

I know there’s the magic of the FA cup for smaller sides, but you’re telling me sides like Burton, Morecambe and Leyton Orient wouldn’t absolutely love a midweek trip to Old Trafford in front of 70,000 and the money which goes with it?

Bizarre, they wouldn’t see that. I know it’s a rare anomaly, but Bradford making the final for example? Yeah All so they can accommodate an expanded CL. No one cares about fixture congestion.

Reading from the journo who broke the story, Sam Wallace, that ahead of the shareholders vote of premier league clubs on Wednesday at least 13 are against it, each of the 20 clubs holding one share each and at least 14 needed to pass it.

All 72 EFL clubs unsurprisingly support it but with Liverpool and Man United apparently unwilling to walk away from the premier league it looks finished.

Of the seven clubs who aren't (as yet) thought to be opposed, 'the big six' and ourselves.

.... a quote from the article says

'(what) is not yet clear is how prepared the other four members of the so-called big six - Chelsea, Arsenal, Tottenham Hotspur and Manchester City - would be to back the plan. There are also questions over Everton’s intentions - the club has ambitions of reaching the Champions League and would qualify for “special voting rights” under PBP owing to its longevity in the top flight'

Status
Not open for further replies.