Proposed changes to the Premier league

Status
Not open for further replies.
if that would make money, they'd have done it years ago

the challange with that arguement is it would make money & I think its more a question of timing.

With the exception of the PL, the "big clubs" in all other leagues have the TV deals stacked in their favour. Barca & Real have over 50% of the revenue from driving well over 50% of the global viewing, which while on one hand sounds fair enough, it creates an uncompetitive environment, which ultimately is costing them longer term with TV money decreasing and they are suddenly exposed and seeking further revenue. Similar stories in Italy (Juve get almost 20%) & Germany, where the traditional power houses, get what many would argue is their fair share of the pie.

So why now...

No need to be a genius to see how hard Covid has hit across Europe. The threat of a Superleague is probably more live now than ever before & as so, the PL team feel they have the leverage to negotiate hard with the other clubs & the league themselves. For the sake of balanced debate here, I am going to drop both merseyside clubs from the example below.

Man United in 2013 delivered 52% of all viewers in the PL globally, they are still delivering over 25% and yet they recieved just under 7% of the TV revenue last season. Being honest, if I was in there shoes I think I would be asking the same.

What will happen....
there will be more kiting of a European Superleague; followed by PL debate and some of these concessions met and a middle ground around "revenue share" & voting rights, which will increase "big club" revenue making it harder and harder for the likes of a Burnley / Sheff United / Brighton etc. We will probably benefit; but not to the same level as the traditionally top teams

me too, it is just too far away from the old 1st div that I started watching. If there is next to no chance of a different winner, what's the point.

It could mean a bit more cash for the lower leagues as well if large numbers of fans switched their allegiance to them, Marine, Chester etc.

Would feel like cutting your own plums off though, if that day actually arrived.

And you just know those top six, will vote for more money for themselves and the other " big three, Everton, West Ham and Southampton" will have no say in the matter as you know it only needs 6 of the 9 teams to make the decisions that matter. If the other three us and whoever vote for that it will be akin to a Turkey voting for Christmas.
No mate , we are in that top 6.
In fact we are 6th , RS are 4th, Man City 7th.

This is hilariously transparent in its motives. It's barely attempting to hide in plain sight - but it's already taken in poor David Conn.

The "nine" is laughable when only six are needed to do things like dictate that TV rights money should be distributed unequally in favour of Liverpool, United and the like, or that a new billionaire cannot take over, say, Newcastle. I think the Saudis coming close to getting in at St James' Park, Leeds on the up, a few billionaires at Villa, and Usmanov, I mean, Mr. Moshiri at Everton has frightened the horses. With United and Arsenal in particular decline, the time is ripe to pull up the drawbridge permanently. The COVID crisis just accentuates the sense of impotence, making once mighty members of the Sky 6 vulnerable.

That said, I don't think we should be naive. While many of us here probably think Everton should vote against these proposals to avoid being basted in the Christmas oven, we should pause to consider if Usmanov, I mean, Mr. Moshiri sees us as every-bit-the-equal of the Sky 6. After all, with the ownership of a traditional powerhouse secured, a brand new mega stadium in the works to narrow the gap in matchday revenue, and a real chance to make a run at closing the gap on clubs whose incomes were more heavily weighted to now disappeared match-day incomes, I suspect our owners are very comfortable at the top table and have little fear of six outvoting the rest when that six, in their minds, will be seven. Even if Liverpool or United, in particular, are given more TV revenue than us, we'll be getting far more than at least 11 others - with next to no chance of relegation. Our owners' calculation might be that we would have enough to be competitive and the difference maker would not be the financial disparity but the decision-making and strategy (e.g., Ancelotti v. Solskjaer) that they no doubt pride themselves on. It's all a game to these guys...

Their view will be that if we are already up the ladder before it can be retracted, then we have little to fear. In that sense, I would not be surprised if we disappoint a lot of our fans by doing what we did in 1992: leading the breakaway. This time, however, we are almost certainly in a better place to profit from it. That is little consolation, though, if the game is to be taken further away from the vast majority.

Last edited:

Insane.

All for introducing a sustainable financing model for the EFL, after all players needs to be developed and get playing experience. Its in everyones interest to keep it competetive and sustainable.

Hell, even reducing the PL to 18 to reduce nr of games could be ok. But if it is only done to make room for Barry Venistons Shanghai Trophy Cup and the like, just drop it. Rather the european cups are expanded, but then again, when are those games played given the already congested fixture list every foreign manager complains about?

Pity noone is discussing salary caps, or a more heavily profitability/bonus-based salary model if clubs all over the world are struggling financially?

This aint America fella.
Never will be , you just keep up with your World Series that only USA teams compete in. Or try soccer , what next time outs for adverts.... not happening here.
Nah you're right it'll probably happen to all of Europe. They'll still have some type of "qualification" or "upward mobility" built in but it will be utterly meaningless. And they'll tell you that they aren't franchises but they will be.

This is hilariously transparent in its motives. It's barely attempting to hide in plain sight - but it's already taken in poor David Conn.

The "nine" is laughable when only six are needed to do things like dictate that TV rights money should be distributed unequally in favour of Liverpool, United and the like, or that a new billionaire cannot take over, say, Newcastle. I think the Saudis coming close to getting in at St James' Park, Leeds on the up, a few billionaires at Villa, and Usmanov, I mean, Mr. Moshiri at Everton has frightened the horses. With United and Arsenal in particular decline, the time is ripe to pull up the drawbridge permanently. The COVID crisis just accentuates the sense of impotence, making once mighty members of the Sky 6 vulnerable.

That said, I don't think we should be naive. While many of us here probably think Everton should vote against these proposals to avoid being basted in the Christmas oven, we should pause to consider if Usmanov, I mean, Mr. Moshiri sees us as every-bit-the-equal of the Sky 6. After all, with the ownership of a traditional powerhouse secured, a brand new mega stadium in the works to narrow the gap in matchday revenue, and a real chance to make a run at closing the gap on clubs whose incomes were more heavily weighted to now disappeared match-day incomes, I suspect our owners are very comfortable at the top table and have little fear of six outvoting the rest when that six, in their minds, will be seven. Even if Liverpool or United, in particular, are given more TV revenue than us, we'll be getting far more than at least 11 others - with next to no chance of relegation. Our owners' calculation might be that we would have enough to be competitive and the difference maker would not be the financial disparity but the decision-making and strategy (e.g., Ancelotti v. Solskjaer) that they no doubt pride themselves on. It's all a game to these guys...

Their view will be that if we are already up the ladder before it can be retracted, then we have little to fear. In that sense, I would not be surprised if we disappoint a lot of our fans by doing what we did in 1992: leading the breakaway. This time, however, we are almost certainly in a better place to profit from it. That is little consolation, though, if the game is to be taken further away from the vast majority.

Fantastic post - agree with every word

Screenshot_20201011-151520_Chrome.jpg
Here is the Top 6 plus the further 3 to make the 9 up.
I truly hope our club has nothing to do with this .
Utd are a shambles and RS see this as a chance for total domination of the league.
Leicester have won the Prem as many times as them yet wouldnt get a look in.

Stop this nonsense right now before it kills football as we know it.

Status
Not open for further replies.