2020/21 Ben Godfrey

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am a Norwich City fan and we are in the process of being asset stripped of our young first team players.
It Ben Godfrey is to go, then I'm pleased that he is joing your team where he will not be wasted and I think your manager will improve him.

He came to us from York City for £1m + 10% of the profit. When he joined us there was talk that he would eventually become a CB. He had a season long loan (2017-18) at Shrewsbury where he played as a DM.
The following season (2018-19) he started as a CB from the first match and after an awful first month we stormed through the Championship to win it.

As for last season (2019-20) our owners didnt have the money to invest in the team to build around the youngsters and we got relegated (obvious before the season started). So people ask why our defence conceeded so many goals:

a) 3 or our 4 CBs were injured for most of the season. Godfrey hardly gets injured and when he did need an op (i think for a hernia) he was out for an incredibly short time. So were playing DMs as CB, one of which was 34 year old Tettey!

b) We didnt have much for our two deep central midfield players - the quality DM player we got in on loan from Spain had his loan ended in Jan 2020 (I think he really wanted to play as a DM and not an emergency CB). So were left playing Tettey as a CB.......result we had no DM!

c) Too open tactics wise and not physical enough.

So we have lost left back Lewis to Newcastle, Godfrey to you.......we might be losing Cantwell to Fulham or Leeds soon. That leaves us with 20 year old Aarons (practically every big club in europe is interested in him)
and 22 year old Buendia.

I would like to see you last the course and win the Prem! As for us,,,,,,,,,,,,,

I am a Norwich City fan and we are in the process of being asset stripped of our young first team players.
Being a team that's experienced that a few times as well, and making some tidy profits along the way, I guess it's only fair you get a good price for him.

Good luck for the rest of your season. As an Aussie, I'll look forward to seeing the Green & Gold back in the PL! ;)

York get 2.5 m if the Godfrey money
I heard today that will keep them in business for at least 2 years if they get no other money in
If Norwich spend 10 m on a replacement that’s another 1 or 2 clubs saved
Made round to go around

The Godfrey 10% may be the difference in keeping York going but its not the difference between life or death for Norwich City. We dont need to sell any of young players this transfer window but some players naturally want to stay in The Premiership due to the quality of the football and the wage levels, so we dont stand in their way.

Being a team that's experienced that a few times as well, and making some tidy profits along the way, I guess it's only fair you get a good price for him.

Good luck for the rest of your season. As an Aussie, I'll look forward to seeing the Green & Gold back in the PL! ;)

Thanks but its green and yellow.
We will rebuild again.......we have some youngsters in the first team squad that we may be able to keep
(19 year old striker Idah, 19 year old Martin (Cantwells replacement), 18 year old Mumba) and 17 youngsters out on loan plus a few more not yet ready to loan but are looking good..........its just so frustrating that we cant keep the ones that had already become first team regulars.

BTW. we wasted an approximate £17m on Naismith (transfer and wages)....so some of our money has been wasted in the past.

It Ben Godfrey is to go, then I'm pleased that he is joing your team where he will not be wasted and I think your manager will improve him.

He came to us from York City for £1m + 10% of the profit. When he joined us there was talk that he would eventually become a CB. He had a season long loan (2017-18) at Shrewsbury where he played as a DM.
The following season (2018-19) he started as a CB from the first match and after an awful first month we stormed through the Championship to win it.

As for last season (2019-20) our owners didnt have the money to invest in the team to build around the youngsters and we got relegated (obvious before the season started). So people ask why our defence conceeded so many goals:

a) 3 or our 4 CBs were injured for most of the season. Godfrey hardly gets injured and when he did need an op (i think for a hernia) he was out for an incredibly short time. So were playing DMs as CB, one of which was 34 year old Tettey!

b) We didnt have much for our two deep central midfield players - the quality DM player we got in on loan from Spain had his loan ended in Jan 2020 (I think he really wanted to play as a DM and not an emergency CB). So were left playing Tettey as a CB.......result we had no DM!

So we have lost left back Lewis to Newcastle, Godfrey to you.......we might be losing Cantwell to Fulham or Leeds soon. That leaves us with 20 year old Aarons (practically every big club in europe is interested in him)
and 22 year old Buendia.

I would like to see you last the course and win the Prem! As for us,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Not a fan of Delia for some comments back in 2004, but never an issue with the fans. I remember you brought a fair few to Goodison in a League Cup game recently, which was impressive.

As for whats going on, it's a quite a shame really. You've had some rather good players which may be moving on ala Lewis, Godfrey, Aarons, Cantwell, for yourselves, you probably committed suicide with the rather expansive football you played last year.

I'm excited for Godfrey, infact i've said it'll be a "coup" for us, because I genuinely think with some coaching from Ancelotti, he could be our leading CB in the future. He'll need some adjustment, but his composure on the ball, how he brings it out, suits Ancelotti entirely.

Good Luck for the new season, and if you need a Tom Davies, we've got one you can have lol

and 22 year old Buendia.

Thanks for the post. I like Buendia and hope he doesn't go to Turkey.

Not a fan of Delia for some comments back in 2004, but never an issue with the fans. I remember you brought a fair few to Goodison in a League Cup game recently, which was impressive.

As for whats going on, it's a quite a shame really. You've had some rather good players which may be moving on ala Lewis, Godfrey, Aarons, Cantwell, for yourselves, you probably committed suicide with the rather expansive football you played last year.

I'm excited for Godfrey, infact i've said it'll be a "coup" for us, because I genuinely think with some coaching from Ancelotti, he could be our leading CB in the future. He'll need some adjustment, but his composure on the ball, how he brings it out, suits Ancelotti entirely.

Good Luck for the new season, and if you need a Tom Davies, we've got one you can have lol

Thanks, the last one we got from you was Naismith! Aaarrrggghh!
The last CB you got from us was Dave Watson for £1,000,000 (I think) and he went on to play for England (theres an omen for you!)....we got him from Liverpool for£200,000. I think Godfrey will step up to the next level with you
and will not be wasted.

CB and GK have been our priorities in my view mate. So a good addition , particularly with our injuries. Sadly have to accept Pickford is our keeper I think. Think Carlo wants to keep James on the right , cutting in.

We can help you with a GK too, how about Krul?

Thanks, the last one we got from you was Naismith! Aaarrrggghh!
The last CB you got from us was Dave Watson for £1,000,000 (I think) and he went on to play for England (theres an omen for you!)....we got him from Liverpool for£200,000. I think Godfrey will step up to the next level with you
and will not be wasted.

Waggy was alright for us wasn't he? :lol Bit before my time mind.

Genuinely was surprised Naismith didn't work out for you. Was always a solid, if not limited footballer, but always tried.

Godfrey just fits the mould Ancelotti likes, he always wants ball playing defenders, who can play from the back, and I think ultimately all you have to do, is look at Calvert-Lewin, to see the progress that can be made, when you have a top drawer manager, helping every day.]

All parties win. We get a promising defender, who fits the system, you get money which you can hopefully invest in better areas, York get a little bit of dough and Godfrey gets to work with Ancelotti who's worked with Nesta, Maldini, Terry, Ramos, Cannavaro... need I go on? He'll improve tenfold.

Just watching his Youtube vid he seems very quick and plays on the LCB side a lot which is kind of ideal for us.

He is mainly right footed CB but due to our injuries last season he played at left CB and he can kick with his left foot!

During our Championship winning season he also had a games sort of playing LB / left centre back

Play an experienced CB alongside him and you will have a very good pair.

Status
Not open for further replies.