Everton Youth Teams Thread

Desperately need a young right back. Kyle John seems injury prone and I think Iversen was just a stop gap. I don't want Astley shifted out there as I think he's more of a centre back and we already have that scenario at left back with Anderson. Interesting to see which u18s get moved up to plug the gaps if and when we move the blockers on. Simms needs to keep the goals going in and if he's not anywhere near the bench by January needs to go somewhere on loan. This will hopefully open an opportunity for Cannon in the u23s. Players need a clear pathway of what is expected and also then need to follow it and hopefully this time next year it will be Cannon that we are wanting to go out on loan and Kouyate taking over. I know its not that simplistic. Dobbin will hopefully be fit soon and style wise is similar to Richarlison. By this I mean a left forward who can also play central and not that he's on the same level. So hopefully he can also be pushing to be around the fringes of the first team. We've got several options in midfield but Onyango seems to be the most highly thought of he will definitely benefit from the blockers being gone.

Desperately need a young right back. Kyle John seems injury prone and I think Iversen was just a stop gap. I don't want Astley shifted out there as I think he's more of a centre back and we already have that scenario at left back with Anderson. Interesting to see which u18s get moved up to plug the gaps if and when we move the blockers on. Simms needs to keep the goals going in and if he's not anywhere near the bench by January needs to go somewhere on loan. This will hopefully open an opportunity for Cannon in the u23s. Players need a clear pathway of what is expected and also then need to follow it and hopefully this time next year it will be Cannon that we are wanting to go out on loan and Kouyate taking over. I know its not that simplistic. Dobbin will hopefully be fit soon and style wise is similar to Richarlison. By this I mean a left forward who can also play central and not that he's on the same level. So hopefully he can also be pushing to be around the fringes of the first team. We've got several options in midfield but Onyango seems to be the most highly thought of he will definitely benefit from the blockers being gone.
Yeah we need Brands to find a RB equivalent to Nkounkou, I’m not convinced John has the defensive capabilities to make our first team. Liam Higgins at RB for the u18 is the next inline , but another converted to the position, we’ll know more after he’s played a few more u23s game, at the moment id say he’s “ promising”.

That kid who made killer pass to Simms to made it 4-1 should start against West Ham tomorrow.
Don't know who he is.
( just watch hight light) lol
I’m pretty sure it was Ryan Astley , that id say is one of his trademark passes out of defence , an accurate ground pass. He’s a Right footed CB who played left CB last night, herarely carries the ball far preferring to pass it on, I’m not sure if that’s a strength or a weakness as he rarely ventures over the half way line in open play. He had a good game last night, in some ways I’ve been disappointed in his progress, I was hoping for more by now but back on track. His was also the pass out of defence into midfield then someone onto Simms that nearly resulted in a 5th in injury time.

I’m pretty sure it was Ryan Astley , that id say is one of his trademark passes out of defence , an accurate ground pass. He’s a Right footed CB who played left CB last night, herarely carries the ball far preferring to pass it on, I’m not sure if that’s a strength or a weakness as he rarely ventures over the half way line in open play. He had a good game last night, in some ways I’ve been disappointed in his progress, I was hoping for more by now but back on track. His was also the pass out of defence into midfield then someone onto Simms that nearly resulted in a 5th in injury time.

He looks to have grown a bit as well. From yesterday looks as tall as Pennington, who is around 6ft. That was one concern I had for Astley. Another inch or 2 would be very useful. It was a great pass from him, and Simms looks very impressive with his runs and finishing. Really starting to dominate at that level now, which you would want.

Simms slots really well. Looks a more natural finisher than DCL - and Im a massive DCL fan. His link up play looked good there too. He is a right tank of a young fella.

Could do with a loan to Div 1 and play some big boys footie and get used to having lumps kicked out of him. Kids football is just that.

....gets into a lot of one-on-one situations with goalkeepers. That’s commonplace in schoolboy football but less so as you get older. Perhaps defenders push up too much which allows him to sit on their shoulders and run in behind. He’s certainly a goalscorer, though, but he’ll have to leapfrog Kean to be in the mix.

Last edited:

....gets into a lot of one-on-one situations with goalkeepers. That’s commonplace in schoolboy football but less so as you get older. Perhaps defenders push up too much which allows him to sit on their shoulders and run in behind. He’s certainly a goalscorer, though, and he’ll have to leapfrog Kean to be in the mix.

He's scoring a lot, which you would want him to be doing to stand a chance. A goal a game on average gets people to stand up.

The size of him impresses me. He looks a bit bigger and stronger. It was a real shame Bolasie not only missed that chance against Preston but stood in the way to stop what would have been a good goal from Simms, who did everything right.

It's hard for young players. We've said it a lot, but we are moving really to a time where only the exceptional will get a look in. If there was a 20 year old Calvert Lewin now, I am not sure he gets the game time over 2 years to round his game off. You think back to the mid to late 90's and you sense a lad like him would have got opportunities.

The general chat seems to be that his all round game isn't quite there. However if you have pace, good movement and can finish that tends to get you a long way. It's not my preferred option, but he may be a decent option for a year away to go and maybe learn a bit about the other aspects of football.

He looks to have grown a bit as well. From yesterday looks as tall as Pennington, who is around 6ft. That was one concern I had for Astley. Another inch or 2 would be very useful. It was a great pass from him, and Simms looks very impressive with his runs and finishing. Really starting to dominate at that level now, which you would want.

Still far too skinny for me.

Still far too skinny for me.

Thats fair, 18 still isn't he? He was quite a big lad at 16, and stopped growing for a bit and then kept growing again. I mean he looks in terms of height at least the size of Pennington. Gordon has grown another inch or so over the past year or so, so you'd hope Astley gets to 6 ft2/3. It doesn't sound important but I always think it makes a big difference. The first thing I saw with young Brainthwaite was he was 6 ft 4/5 and you are just really wowed by him as you know he can cope.

A slight aside, but it's probably the biggest criticism I can have of Davies really. He's not powerful enough for me, and I'd question if he's been putting the hours in in terms of physique.

Thats fair, 18 still isn't he? He was quite a big lad at 16, and stopped growing for a bit and then kept growing again. I mean he looks in terms of height at least the size of Pennington. Gordon has grown another inch or so over the past year or so, so you'd hope Astley gets to 6 ft2/3. It doesn't sound important but I always think it makes a big difference. The first thing I saw with young Brainthwaite was he was 6 ft 4/5 and you are just really wowed by him as you know he can cope.

A slight aside, but it's probably the biggest criticism I can have of Davies really. He's not powerful enough for me, and I'd question if he's been putting the hours in in terms of physique.

Yeh height is one thing but physicality is another. Gibson isn't massive but he's broad and thick set, Branthwaite both, Feeney never gained muscle and now he's gone (actually considered him the better defensively compared to Gibson).

Yeah height/physicality for Astley is important , can’t do much about height but physicality can be addressed . For me he’s got more composure and playing skill than Feeney, but he, Feeney, is a warning to us .