Everton Transfer Thread - Summer 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would take Zouma as well, there were not may who didn't want him to stay when he left but defiantly not for 20m.
I don't understand this. Why? He's not good enough for Chelsea but yet we want to challenge and he's good enough for us? The truth about Zouma is that his positioning I'd quite poor and always has to make a last ditch effort to rectify his own mistakes. That's why he's found wanting at Chelsea. Big mistake signing him if we're serious about challenging.

A lot of good insight in that post.

I've written about Kean a bit before, so I'll try to avoid repeating too much. I sense you've got a lot of things happening on the deal. An agent who wants to move him on, a player who's quite open to it but Everton are quite keen to keep, with buying sides not massively keen to spend.

Loans don't make a lot of sense when clearly we want some cash coming in. However we do need to cut suad numbers and I wonder at some point if some sacrafices have to be made- he is one that is marketable on loan. I also think, if it's a good loan to Italy, and he scores a few goals- gets to the Euro's etc his value will likely increase far more if he has another disappointing season here. There's a lot of conjecture there, and he may well do well this season. I hope we keep him. I like him. But I suppose I'm just not as attached to players as I was. I trust the DOF and the manager with what they are doing more than single players.

As for January, it's not easy is it? However there can be some value in terms of loan players or people wanting to play in the Euro's etc. You can also lean on teams who are struggling financially, of which there will be plenty. You can sort of see that happening now. The premium players are gone and there's very little market for the "dregs".

Your final point is a good one. We look to bebuilding-strangely- quite a good team spirit and a squad that at present seems to blend together quite nicely. The Milik signing makes it difficult, he would want to play. It's not always straightforward. We have reduced what we have done in the window, and for the most part it has worked nicely. If we didn't sign anyone else, I'd still be very happy with the business. Winning transfer windows, and havign a settled squad are different things.

Love that last sentence mate, “Winning transfer windows, and havign a settled squad are different things.” Brilliant and very much were I am, what we’ve done for to long is speculating with little return on investment, this time we have weaved value and outcome in our signings into the team and squad. We’re looking a good, competitive team and we can be confident, for me that’s the point of signings and widows. Im Optimistic, confident and content in what we have.

I’ve a big interest in Kean. I really rate the raw quality he has, I think he’s explosive, but not very tame. He’s a better player then I thought when we signed him. He needs to learn his trade. Id keep him here. I was struck by something I read last week about Brands. Apparently Silva wanted to sell DCL and bring in another 9, Brands vetoed. If thats true. I think Kean is in the right environment to develop, the backing of a good DOF, with a wold class Italian manager who is one of the best tacticians and coaches in the game. Surrounded now by experienced players in what might be a successful team. I don’t see the value of a sale or loan for us if I’m honest. I think if he doesn't go onto be a good player for us, we have failed. But I dont think we will. That is unless player power kicks in, but I believe Brands does a thorough character check this weather.

On a broader note, some of Brands recruitment has been like this take Kean and Iwobi, the word you would use to describe them is talented and raw. He’s sees something, an upside, that maybe many don’t. I find it quite fascinating.

In January, could be mate, if something became to good to be true we could look at it, be remiss not to be open minded, It might be an unusual market as the recession will bite by then. I could see some players leaving then to, the likes of maybe Walcott, Tosun, etc if they aren’t seeing much game time, or who we don’t shift this window. These are certainly unique times in the footballing economy.

Ive been saying for a while there is a lot to be said for, continuity, stability and consistency in the squad and the dugout. I’m hoping we see that now, with players augmenting coming in rather then rebooting, or worse more layers of players to paper over the cracks, in an inefficient bloated squad. I’d hold DCL up as an example of the development those environmental factors bring, stable squad, good manager, squad balanced, everyone improves.

Think it’s time to begin to reap rather then sew.

Last edited:
3. Ezequiel Garay
Ezequiel Garay left Valencia after four years and is currently considering his next club. There have been rumours of Serie A switch with Lazio. The Argentine could also be lured to the Premier League. As things stand, Everton is in a dire need of a centre back due to recent injuries to Mason Holgate and Jarrad Barnthwaite.

Michael Keane and Yerry Mina as the only fit centre backs is a slightly worrying situation especially considering the injury woes of Mina and fixtures coming thick and fast. Injury to either of them will have serious consequences and potentially derail the Everton express that is running at full speed in the early part of the campaign.

ANALYSIS: Everton possession game to help defence
Ezequiel Garay is a reasonable option and does offer some solidity at the back. Again, he wouldn’t expect to play every game once Holgate and Branthwaite is fit but can act as a cover and do a respectable job whenever called upon.

Once Holgate is fit, Keane and Holgate will be the preferable pair leaving Mina and Branthwaite as third and fourth choice. Signing a high profile name may cause man management issues but in Garay they get a proven centre back who wouldn’t demand playing week in week out.

NEXT: Transfer links of £63k Everton man to bottom Premier League team makes no sense

All of these players are sizeable options and will add quality and experience in areas that Everton require. If even one of them is signed, Everton will make a strong statement.

3. Ezequiel Garay
Ezequiel Garay left Valencia after four years and is currently considering his next club. There have been rumours of Serie A switch with Lazio. The Argentine could also be lured to the Premier League. As things stand, Everton is in a dire need of a centre back due to recent injuries to Mason Holgate and Jarrad Barnthwaite.

Michael Keane and Yerry Mina as the only fit centre backs is a slightly worrying situation especially considering the injury woes of Mina and fixtures coming thick and fast. Injury to either of them will have serious consequences and potentially derail the Everton express that is running at full speed in the early part of the campaign.

Ezequiel Garay is a reasonable option and does offer some solidity at the back. Again, he wouldn’t expect to play every game once Holgate and Branthwaite is fit but can act as a cover and do a respectable job whenever called upon.

Once Holgate is fit, Keane and Holgate will be the preferable pair leaving Mina and Branthwaite as third and fourth choice. Signing a high profile name may cause man management issues but in Garay they get a proven centre back who wouldn’t demand playing week in week out.

NEXT: Transfer links of £63k Everton man to bottom Premier League team makes no sense

All of these players are sizeable options and will add quality and experience in areas that Everton require. If even one of them is signed, Everton will make a strong statement.

Not got the pace we need.

3. Ezequiel Garay

He's hecking 33. Now I'm all for signing older players like Allan but I'd be very surprised if he ticked the box for pace we sorely lack at the back.

LOL, he ran 70 yards and nobody put a tackle, we weren't done by pace, we were done by stupidity.

Well yes, but it came from a bit of miscommunication high up the pitch and Allan/Doucoure being pressed high. There was a 20/30 yard gap between the midfield and defence and neither defender had the pace to push out/one push out, the other have the pace to cover.

Mina gets caught in two minds, should have pressed out but hesitated, and he hits a good shot.

We want to play a high line in most of our games at home. Away is a different matter - we played deep yesterday to negate Palace's pace in behind.

But we need another quick CB, because as it stands we only have Holgate.

We want to play a high line in most of our games at home.
Says who?

Look I'm not against pace in the side, but I feel as tho some people think its the only thing that matters.

We play in a very high paced league and there's no room for the Tosuns of this world, but I feel as tho some people mix up tenacity and pace.

Extra pace at the back wouldn't have stopped the goal, but Mina stepping up and making a tackle might have, if he did it early, Keane was covering behind him and we had people flooding back all over.

We very rarely get done from balls over the top, yes cos we play a deep line, but from what I've seen its only people on here who want us to push up higher.

As far as I can see Carlo doesn't operate a high press, so pushing up isn't what we are looking for.

We need a good CB, if he's pacey, great, but its not a deal-breaker for me.

The best CBs in this league, none of them are praised for their pace, sure most of them arent slow, but pace isn't the first word you think of when I say Terry, Vidic, Rio, Stam, again, none of them were slow, but pacey isnt the first word I would use.

Sure the game has moved on since some of them played, speed of thought is vastly more important then speed of body.

Says who?

Look I'm not against pace in the side, but I feel as tho some people think its the only thing that matters.

We play in a very high paced league and there's no room for the Tosuns of this world, but I feel as tho some people mix up tenacity and pace.

Extra pace at the back wouldn't have stopped the goal, but Mina stepping up and making a tackle might have, if he did it early, Keane was covering behind him and we had people flooding back all over.

We very rarely get done from balls over the top, yes cos we play a deep line, but from what I've seen its only people on here who want us to push up higher.

As far as I can see Carlo doesn't operate a high press, so pushing up isn't what we are looking for.

We need a good CB, if he's pacey, great, but its not a deal-breaker for me.

The best CBs in this league, none of them are praised for their pace, sure most of them arent slow, but pace isn't the first word you think of when I say Terry, Vidic, Rio, Stam, again, none of them were slow, but pacey isnt the first word I would use.

Sure the game has moved on since some of them played, speed of thought is vastly more important then speed of body.
Carlo has never set his line as high as some of the most ambitious pressing sides in the world and I highly doubt he will suddenly decide to start doing so now.

People are in here saying we can't play Mina and Keane together because pace this and pace that but we've just played a team that relies on pace a whole lot in the attack and conceded literally zero from open play in the game. The West Brom game we conceded to two worldies and the one from open play was as you said down to stupidity.

We need a CB for depth no doubt but I agree this fascination with speed is overblown. Just get someone solid and left footed so Keane can spray it around from his natural spot.

I’m thinking we might sell a few of the fringe players after Wednesdays game as it stops the cup games until later in the season and the next window

Status
Not open for further replies.