2020/21 Moise Kean

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wouldn't read too much into his reaction from scoring last night, if he was frustrated with the time he had to play then that's only due to Pickford putting the pressure on, if we hadn't conceded those two stupid goals then he probably would have got longer, as it was Ancelotti needed to make sure we killed the game before changing strikers

Thats all true. He was never a punt. I'd go as far as to say Silva/Brands thought he'd take Calvery Lewin's place as number 1 striker.

However I think the broader point is, that price tags do shift perceptions quite markedly on a player. In a way they should as well, you should expect a lot more from a player who cost 30y than one who cost y (and similar ratio's with wages). That being said, I do think at times the performance is often judged through that prism. A player could play identical games, and if he cost 30y he'd have played terrible and if he cost y he would have played really well.

It's probably why it's sensible for the club to negotiate hard and get prices down, if nothing else it can help lower expectation a bit and give the player a chance.

As a final aside, Kean has been underwhelming. Everton, with our turnover cannot be throwing £25+m on strikers and not having a return. I do think there is talent there though and both can be true simultaneously.
I think it's like anything really. Go to your local cafe and get a full english breakfast for a fiver and you think it was great, pay £20+ for the same thing in a posh hotel and you feel ripped off. It makes perfect sense really, if you know you can get the same for cheaper then you aren't going to be happy.

Agree to a large extent. If we’d paid a few million for him we’d probably all be more patient. The signing was feted as a coup at the time which has added a lot of pressure.

Of course. I mean Nkondou did very well last night, but if we'd paid £25m for him people would be highlighting concerns over his defending. Or probably getting irate he's not starting and he's another dud or whatever. In a round about way that does add pressure.

Whereas if Kean was 250k, we'd be saying, crikey that lad is a ruthless finisher isn't he? Get him in the box and he will score. Give him 6 months to round his game off and we will have a starter there.

I think it's like anything really. Go to your local cafe and get a full english breakfast for a fiver and you think it was great, pay £20+ for the same thing in a posh hotel and you feel ripped off. It makes perfect sense really, if you know you can get the same for cheaper then you aren't going to be happy.

Of course. And I can see that it's not unjustifiable to think that as well. I'm not one for saying fans just have to be endlessly patient, everyone is entitled to their own view, and on such a big acquisition even more so.

Most of what I put, mostly in defence of Moise Kean is with that rather large cavaet to it, which is he should have shown more. I can understand why people won't want to look beyond it.

It's also not inevitable he just develops to iron out his weaknesses. I remember Lookman also had wonderful, unique ability but hasn't ironed it out, and in truth hasn't done so at Leipzig. Neither has Barkley at Chelsea. So it's not inevitable at all.

Of course. I mean Nkondou did very well last night, but if we'd paid £25m for him people would be highlighting concerns over his defending. Or probably getting irate he's not starting and he's another dud or whatever. In a round about way that does add pressure.

Whereas if Kean was 250k, we'd be saying, crikey that lad is a ruthless finisher isn't he? Get him in the box and he will score. Give him 6 months to round his game off and we will have a starter there.

totally this. If you take away the fees and compare him now to calvert-lewin at 20, we'd all be saying kean looks like he can make it here whereas calvert-lewin doesn't look like he'll ever be a goalscorer. One cost £1.5m and the other £25m so that seems to totally go out of the window, there's a chasm of difference between where kean's at and where DCL was at at the same age, in my opinion. He's been a little unlucky that he's playing the only position where those ahead of fully consistent and never injured.

Any other position, we've seen it with holgate and davies, they're getting plenty of gametime because of the options ahead of them have been performing poorly. It takes time, view him as a 20 year old who came through the youth and we'd think he's coming along alright, he's scored the same amount this season already as last season, he's just got to take his chances when they come like last night and he'll get more and more gametime. At least he's played a part in every game this season too, which for me is positive.

Richy scored 2 and didnt crack a smile. They are a pair of silly gets

Difference was Richarlison was hugging and laughing and joking with Iwobi when he scored the 3rd.

Somethings not right with Kean. Be interesting to see if he is still here come the end of the window. I imagine he will solely down to a lack of interest / Everton needing funds for other positions rather than the CF one but I imagine this will be his last season at the club if he wants regular game time.

The comments are not unfair though.
The feelgood factor is there at the moment, you could see players with broad smiles during and after the game.
Kean just doesn't seem to want to be part of it.
Hopefully I am wrong.

It's perfectly fair comment from the guy saying we're all judging body language with little qualifications. It may just be he's angry he's not starting, and angry he didn't get brought on earlier- in which case thats great. It may be that he's angry that he hasn't scored more, or been in the game more. He could just be focussed, and is not massively bothered about goals against League 1 opposition as he's very focussed on his game. I'm sure there are other possibilities which would be positive.

However, especially having seen Lookman before him displaying similar behaviours in an outward sense my initial reaction is he looks unhappy.

This can be turned around. If the club have the view he has a 4 year contract, and a value of X that has to be met, then that is a change in how we operate and a positive. I wouldn't be moving Kean on "on the cheap" by any means.

totally this. If you take away the fees and compare him now to calvert-lewin at 20, we'd all be saying kean looks like he can make it here whereas calvert-lewin doesn't look like he'll ever be a goalscorer. One cost £1.5m and the other £25m so that seems to totally go out of the window, there's a chasm of difference between where kean's at and where DCL was at at the same age, in my opinion. He's been a little unlucky that he's playing the only position where those ahead of fully consistent and never injured.

Any other position, we've seen it with holgate and davies, they're getting plenty of gametime because of the options ahead of them have been performing poorly. It takes time, view him as a 20 year old who came through the youth and we'd think he's coming along alright, he's scored the same amount this season already as last season, he's just got to take his chances when they come like last night and he'll get more and more gametime. At least he's played a part in every game this season too, which for me is positive.

I agree with all of that mate. Kean is a long way ahead of where Dom was at the same age.

Status
Not open for further replies.