Everton Transfer Thread - Summer 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dunno if it's been mentioned, but just been listening to the All Together podcast and Alan Myers was asked about what he thought we would get as far as further incomings are concerned

He said:

A left back on loan
A centre back on loan
A right back from "not too far away from here", which I took to mean Dalot
And a winger who would be a "cherry on the cake" and a present from the owner

Usually a bit more evasive than that
When he said a present from the owner to whom was he referring
Usmanov shops in Harrods while Moshiri shops in M&S

A lot of the comments about the move being unlikely seem to be around the cost of it.

I just thought it was interesting that the cost of Bale in reality (if it’s the 50% of wages that has been reported), is much cheaper than Zaha and it’s not even too expensive in real terms.

For me the blockers of the move are Bale himself - his ego might be too big to drop out of the CL, and whether the reported costs are true - would Real only want the 50% covered and no loan fee?
They want shot of him
No one will buy him
Getting him out and saving half the wages will probably do
Seemingly rumours abound we got James for free
Spanish,French and Italian football are in the mire financially

He's not world class but he isn't "poor".

Chelsea wanted to sign him
Man City signed him
England international

Yet apparently 12th place Everton is too good for him...

....football is as much about attitude as it is about ability. Players have to play like the game matters and I think Stones went to City thinking he was the finished article. I thought he was an outstanding prospect but he’s not outstanding now and his injury record would be a huge concern.

I find it mind blowing that people would say no to Stones.

Stones would be our best defender.
i'm just not sure when he has shown that he definitely would be.

16 PL apps last season when City showed no consistency - something Stones has been labelled with on a personal level
Then 42 appearances over the course of City's 2 dominant PL seasons prior.

He can't stay fit. Pep has said similar:

" There are players who can play every three days for 11 months, others struggle more to be fit and we try to find the key to playing every three days.”

“He has to be fit,” said Guardiola. “After two or three games he fell down and he cannot play. We tried to help him, we tried to do the best to help him since the first day of the three and a half years we are here. We do everything for him.

“He has the conditions to become one of the best, yeah. He has the conditions to do it, but to be the best central defender you have to play one entire season, every three days being there.

“He’s still young. As a player he has his future in front of him, it depends on him. It’s in his hands and in his head to become one of the best.”

I understand people saying that stuff like the above and the fact he hasn't kicked on for City means they don't want us to be lumbered with him. We've been there so many times.

i'm just not sure when he has shown that he definitely would be.

16 PL apps last season when City showed no consistency - something Stones has been labelled with on a personal level
Then 42 appearances over the course of City's 2 dominant PL seasons prior.

He can't stay fit. Pep has said similar:

" There are players who can play every three days for 11 months, others struggle more to be fit and we try to find the key to playing every three days.”

“He has to be fit,” said Guardiola. “After two or three games he fell down and he cannot play. We tried to help him, we tried to do the best to help him since the first day of the three and a half years we are here. We do everything for him.

“He has the conditions to become one of the best, yeah. He has the conditions to do it, but to be the best central defender you have to play one entire season, every three days being there.

“He’s still young. As a player he has his future in front of him, it depends on him. It’s in his hands and in his head to become one of the best.”

I understand people saying that stuff like the above and the fact he hasn't kicked on for City means they don't want us to be lumbered with him. We've been there so many times.

He could still be a top defender in a more normal system. That City team probably play the most aggressive system in European football. They get caught 2 v 3 or even 2 v 4 all the time on the transition against better opposition. It's very hard to look good as a centre half in that team.

He could still be a top defender in a more normal system. That City team probably play the most aggressive system in European football. They get caught 2 v 3 or even 2 v 4 all the time on the transition against better opposition. It's very hard to look good as a centre half in that team.
Kompany and Laporte managed it on a regular basis

....football is as much about attitude as it is about ability. Players have to play like the game matters and I think Stones went to City thinking he was the finished article. I thought he was an outstanding prospect but he’s not outstanding now and his injury record would be a huge concern.

Agree mate I just think realistically if Tomori doesn't sign and we missed out on Gabriel then we are on to our 3rd choice CB - regardless of who it is they likely will not be of a high calibre.

Depending on Holgates injury I would be happy with just adequate cover which Stones would provide.

Being an England international isn’t a sign of quality, their number one is Jordan Pickford.

Stones mistake sent England out of the World Cup

Man City signed him and he flopped, can’t even defend in a team that hardly needs to defend
To be fair I think that's a big part of the problem. The way they set up is very unforgiving for defenders, someone like Keane would be an absolute laughing stock there because he'd just be caught out time after time. I've always thought Stones would have been much better going somewhere where he would actually be coached as a defender first and foremost. He's got all the skills you need, but Martinez and Pep are hardly the coaches i'd want as a young centre half trying to make my way.

Status
Not open for further replies.