Everton Transfer Thread - Summer 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Think we’ll get Zaha lads. I for one think that’s a great signing. Can somebody make a fantasy formation with Zaha in please

...here you go, Jimmy, this is where Zaha fits in my fantasy formation;

8451F383-08FD-4DF9-848D-BEF9D0649993.jpeg

10 Under 21 players is madness.

As you say we have 5 currently and that's probably the limit, cos IMO there's a 50% chance that 80% of them wont be good enough.

This window we have clearly gone for some ready-cooked players, but we have plenty of players in and around the squad with potential.

I'll tag him in @Zatara . I think the point thats being made though is we do currently have quite a few younger players. I do agree with @Lanolin in that the players playing are quite experienced. However when you look at the soecific mechanics we have a squad that is fine from an older/younger perspective. I can have that it's not massively young, but it's also not old.

The key point is to get good players in. We are sorting the academy out (but even then the academy wasn't even that bad). There will always be young players around and we will always have talented players, but the immediate strategy is to get the first team competitive. The rest looks after itself. If you have a good team, what young players you have learn from good pro's, learn to win and improve anyway.

I'll tag him in @Zatara . I think the point thats being made though is we do currently have quite a few younger players. I do agree with @Lanolin in that the players playing are quite experienced. However when you look at the soecific mechanics we have a squad that is fine from an older/younger perspective. I can have that it's not massively young, but it's also not old.

The key point is to get good players in. We are sorting the academy out (but even then the academy wasn't even that bad). There will always be young players around and we will always have talented players, but the immediate strategy is to get the first team competitive. The rest looks after itself. If you have a good team, what young players you have learn from good pro's, learn to win and improve anyway.
Yeah I think the make up of the squad from an age perspective is pretty much ideal. There's a mix of youth, older heads, and players in their peak years. I think what will be interesting is who we look to move on. If the likes of Walcott, Sigurdsson, Delph etc leave then maybe we're a bit light on experience in terms of back up. If we move Kean, Davies, Kenny etc on then there's a danger that we start looking a bit lop sided with older players. It's a difficult balancing act.

Yeah I think the make up of the squad from an age perspective is pretty much ideal. There's a mix of youth, older heads, and players in their peak years. I think what will be interesting is who we look to move on. If the likes of Walcott, Sigurdsson, Delph etc leave then maybe we're a bit light on experience in terms of back up. If we move Kean, Davies, Kenny etc on then there's a danger that we start looking a bit lop sided with older players. It's a difficult balancing act.

It is difficult. I also think it's slightly overplayed by people. Ultimately you want good players. The manager plans for the season ahead and in honesty the DOF is probably thinking that way too. If we have a good season and get into the top 6, the wider problems go away and you buy yourself time. Thats one thing that is often missed with football fans, who often want a long term plan, but will also complain part way through a plan- time has to be earned.

Moyes had a great first 15 months here. He also had overall a great first 3 years (albeit a bit up and down). He bought himself time. Martinez had a great first season, again bought himself time.

I also think there's an inevitability we will find some good young players. You rightly pointed out, whats Brands has done with Brainthwaite and Nkondou is consistent with what we always do. Players will emerge. Gordon is emerging as a younger player, and Gibson had a good loan. Without really even trying, you have 4 projects to integrate into the squad. You really dont need much more than that every 2-3 years.

I think the mindset of the club, the DOF and the manager is just a bit ahead of most fans. We have seen several new dawns so are a bit sceptical, but Ancelotti probably won't even be aware of them, never mind let it be bothering him. His mindset will be that he wants to compete at the top end. If some young players ar taken along with it fine, but it's a secondary concern. There will be no desire to try to imitate RB Leipzig. I understand people might want us too, but it's not going to happen.

It is difficult. I also think it's slightly overplayed by people. Ultimately you want good players. The manager plans for the season ahead and in honesty the DOF is probably thinking that way too. If we have a good season and get into the top 6, the wider problems go away and you buy yourself time. Thats one thing that is often missed with football fans, who often want a long term plan, but will also complain part way through a plan- time has to be earned.

Moyes had a great first 15 months here. He also had overall a great first 3 years (albeit a bit up and down). He bought himself time. Martinez had a great first season, again bought himself time.

I also think there's an inevitability we will find some good young players. You rightly pointed out, whats Brands has done with Brainthwaite and Nkondou is consistent with what we always do. Players will emerge. Gordon is emerging as a younger player, and Gibson had a good loan. Without really even trying, you have 4 projects to integrate into the squad. You really dont need much more than that every 2-3 years.

I think the mindset of the club, the DOF and the manager is just a bit ahead of most fans. We have seen several new dawns so are a bit sceptical, but Ancelotti probably won't even be aware of them, never mind let it be bothering him. His mindset will be that he wants to compete at the top end. If some young players ar taken along with it fine, but it's a secondary concern. There will be no desire to try to imitate RB Leipzig. I understand people might want us too, but it's not going to happen.
Yeah I totally agree. The only issue is that big 'if' in your second sentence. That's what it all boils down to. If you're successful the age profile makes no difference, because you're making hay while the sun shines, and you'll make money through success which will allow you to reinvest. The issue is that if you're not successful, it can go downhill very quickly. You can't sell players to make money because they have no value, you're not going to get any better with what you've got because they're past an age where they'll be improving, so you just hit a brick wall. As you say, you can buy yourself time, but if you don't then there's a problem.

In an ideal world you want a blend of ages, partly because you want young players to do the running for old heads and old timers to teach the kids what they know, and partly because you want to make sure you have a constantly evolving squad, where you don't have to rip everything up and start again because all your players go over the hill at the same time. If you look at the better sides, that's how they do it, players are phased out and younger players who have gained experience at the club become key players in their place. It's what Ferguson did so well at United, right until he lost interest at the end and left them to slide down the league because they needed a total refresh when he went.

Last edited:
A lot of the comments about the move being unlikely seem to be around the cost of it.

I just thought it was interesting that the cost of Bale in reality (if it’s the 50% of wages that has been reported), is much cheaper than Zaha and it’s not even too expensive in real terms.

For me the blockers of the move are Bale himself - his ego might be too big to drop out of the CL, and whether the reported costs are true - would Real only want the 50% covered and no loan fee?

£150k a week + £7.5mil loan fee for 12months.

If he was open to join Id not think twice. £2.5mil a league place, could he take us up 3 positions...probably yes.

Would it be another massive marketing coup? Yes.

We would have 2 world class players in the team with Bale + James with Richarlison, Digne and Allan the level below.

We could be knocking on the top 4.

If we look at the 'experienced' over 29 players of Coleman, James, Allan then 2 of those have been new signings and the other shouldnt be starting along with all the others of that age group in the squad. In fact, only James and Allan should even be in the squad for ability.

The rung below, Gomes, Doucoure, Mina, Digne, and Pickford are 25-27. I see those guys as improving over the next 2 seasons while the older two perhaps keep at the same level (hopefully).

Then the group of 23/24 are the true core we have coming through.

The guys older than 25 have to help that 23/24 core group come through over the next couple of seasons and step up their gears.

Then we bring in a conveyor belt behind them of young stars with the odd sprinkle of top quality players added at 2 a summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.