Everton Transfer Thread - Summer 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why do people keep saying a new striker "if kean goes"?

Has anyone at the club made any suggestion he could leave? Have there been any credible links of him leaving? Feels a bit soon to just give up on him and essentially take a loss on him when he has had a brazil international and a young, more experienced striker who was scoring goals ahead of him.
People say it cos there's rumblings about going back to Italy .
No rumblings about DCL or Richy .
So put 2+2 together and get 5.
Riaola is his agent who likes to move his players around regularly .Plus the lad might want to go home ....it happens.

Do I want him to go ?
Not down to me , if Carlo wants him out and has someone in mind to replace him that will happen.

So , like I said ....if Kean goes.

I don't think that 5 is an acceptable target for Kean this season. However if he does spend the season as second string striker to DCL and Richarlison, I think it's lunacy to expect the lad to score more than 10. In fact 40 league goals from the 3, with DCL and Charlie getting 15+ each, and Kean getting into double figures, would represent an excellent return.

What sort of figures do you think they should be returning?
I'd be looking for 10 goals from at least 20 starts and loads of sub appearances.

It should also be said Brands has signed Virginnia, Kean, Brainthwaite and Nkondou already. We have also made space in the squad for Gordon, and it looks like there's a desire fro Simms and Gibson to join that list.

I'd like us to be more aggressive. Once the academy ban is over that will help. But there are some examples of what people want.
I think it's a case of deciding whether it's a focus or just something we do on the side. I think Virginia, Branthwaite and Nkounkou currently just fall into the same bracket as Gibson, Bowler, Adeniran etc under Walsh, and going back to Stanek, Sambou, Foulds, Henen etc under Martinez and too many to mention under Moyes. There's nothing different really about what Brands has done, we've always picked up young lads from elsewhere. Some of them make it and some of them don't, we'll see how it goes with these ones but currently they are just under 23 players really. I think there's a difference between picking up a handful of under 23 players spread over a couple of years and making a concerted effort to target the youth market.

We arent buying a striker. CB on loan, RB cheap purchase or option to buy. Maybe a GK if its really cheap like 3m for Romero, but we arent splashing money on a striker unless we get 40m for Gylfi

I think it's a case of deciding whether it's a focus or just something we do on the side. I think Virginia, Branthwaite and Nkounkou currently just fall into the same bracket as Gibson, Bowler, Adeniran etc under Walsh, and going back to Stanek, Sambou, Foulds, Henen etc under Martinez and too many to mention under Moyes. There's nothing different really about what Brands has done, we've always picked up young lads from elsewhere. Some of them make it and some of them don't, we'll see how it goes with these ones but currently they are just under 23 players really. I think there's a difference between picking up a handful of under 23 players spread over a couple of years and making a concerted effort to target the youth market.

I think that is true, and you can make a pretty reasonable argument Walsh targetted younger signings more than anyone in ourb recent history.

I suppose it's always worth just giving a little balance. Things are never quite black and white, and some young players have been recruited. It's not a flick you can switch though, clubs still face the same pressures, the same expectations, the same perceptions so I'm not sure we could just one day decide to recruit lots of young players. I'll be honest, I'm also not sure it would be a particularly workable or sensible strategy.

What I also get from (particularly English) footballer is pathways become important. Every team has good young players, but you have to be brave to set up pathways. I think Brands has done this to a certain degree.

I think the balance is ok currently. If we go much younger we run the risk of not being competitive.

I think that is true, and you can make a pretty reasonable argument Walsh targetted younger signings more than anyone in ourb recent history.

I suppose it's always worth just giving a little balance. Things are never quite black and white, and some young players have been recruited. It's not a flick you can switch though, clubs still face the same pressures, the same expectations, the same perceptions so I'm not sure we could just one day decide to recruit lots of young players. I'll be honest, I'm also not sure it would be a particularly workable or sensible strategy.

What I also get from (particularly English) footballer is pathways become important. Every team has good young players, but you have to be brave to set up pathways. I think Brands has done this to a certain degree.

I think the balance is ok currently. If we go much younger we run the risk of not being competitive.

I said a few times, Carlo ain't here for a long time, he wants to compete from next season, he doesn't wanna operate a creche with a team of 20-year-olds.

But we do have a decent core of younger players, which I'm sure will be added to in the next few windows.

Its a short term risky policy we have operated this summer, but at least we know that we have bought "quality" that has performed at a very high level in the past.

Yeah it's not really something I have strong feelings on, I just think there's been a few posts recently that have suggested the Branthwaite and Nkounkou signings count as Brands putting this strategy in place when really it's a continuation of a policy we've had for as long as I can remember.

Status
Not open for further replies.