Confirmed Signing James Rodriguez

Status
Not open for further replies.
Untitled.jpg

Looking at the official twitter page follower count soar at the moment with South American followers...

Colombia's record cap holder and footballing icon Carlos Valderrama in 2017:

“I don’t think there cannot be anyone like me. There is James.

“He is very good and one of the best in the world. Why can he not become the greatest?”

Valderrama three years earlier as James excelled at the 2014 World Cup:

“James Rodríguez will be the next big star, not just now but for the next 10 years.

“He is unique. He’s got more passion than any player I’ve ever seen.

“He has the potential to be the greatest Colombian player ever, and possibly one of the best ever to play the game.”

Arsene Wenger after James lit up the 2014 World Cup:

“For me it was the intelligence of his passing, the suppleness of him and the fluency of his game.

“It also was the speed of his decision making. The penetrative passes he made were just absolutely fantastic.

“You just wanted to see him have the ball and when you want somebody to have the ball it is always a sign of exceptional quality and he definitely has that.”

David Beckham post-2014 World Cup:

“I've heard about him quite a few times, and people told me he was a great talent, but to come on to the world stage at his age and play the way he's played, shows how talented he is.

“His goal [against Uruguay, which won goal of the finals] for me was one of the best of the tournament. As a young player, to have that thought, the way he moved into the ball, the way he turned and struck the ball.”

Jupp Heynckes, then in charge of Bayern Munich, in February 2018:

“In his current form and how he has integrated himself, James is a godsend for Bayern Munich.”

Real Madrid president Florentino Perez after capturing James in 2014:

"A new talent has arrived who oozes quality, capable of leading an extraordinary Colombian side. Here is a player who was one of the revelations of the last World Cup.”

Basketball superstar – and one of James’s sporting idols, LeBron James, while tuned into Colombia’s 2014 World Cup last-16 game against Uruguay:

“Man watching this Colombian game I think I have my fav player in the World Cup!"

Uruguay manager Oscar Tabarez following his side’s 2014 World Cup second-round exit at the hands of a James-inspired Colombia:

"For me, special talents are those who do things completely out of the ordinary.

"Diego Maradona, Lionel Messi, Luis Suárez, James Rodriguez – they do things because they have certain gifts that make them special.

“I believe he's the best player at the World Cup and I don't think I'm exaggerating.

“We tried to limit his influence, but he kept going and made his presence felt. Hopefully he'll continue to progress, because he's very young. Football needs players with these characteristics."

Hugo Castano, the Envigado coach who gave James his senior debut aged 14:

“James is a clear product of his parents’ efforts.

“I’ve never seen a kid of that age training twice a day without complaining. The discipline he was taught was fundamental.”

Castano on James’s resilience:

“He was a good player, talented, but mentally very capable of putting up with things.

“He was tough and overcame adversity, which makes him much stronger, because he went to Argentine football [aged 16, when James left Envigado for Banfield] and suffered and endured a lot ".

Karl-Heinz Rummenigge, the Bayern Munich great and club chairman when James signed in Germany in 2017:

“James is a very versatile player. He’s a goalscorer himself, he sets up a lot of goals and on top of that he’s great from set-pieces.”

From James:

On his favourite player growing up:

“Carlos Valderrama was the one I admired most, really.

"At the time, he was a top player and I had a lot of admiration for him. I met him once and he's a great person, someone who provided the country with a lot of joy.

"He was a very intelligent footballer who could create something out of nothing as well as score goals.”

Explaining his attitude to the game:

“I think I am someone who is happy playing football. It is just that. Whenever I go onto the pitch, I always try to be happy. That is the big motivation I have always had. Nothing else.”

On his devotion to football:

“I basically live for the game. You constantly have to train yourself and take care of your wellbeing – your mind and your body.

"In the morning, I usually train. In the afternoon, I do everything I need to do in order to remain physically healthy. Basically, that is my entire day until about 6 or 7pm.”

Detailing his teenage lifestyle when a promising player with Envigado:

“I’ve always said that the footballer needs to be abnormal.

“While normal people go out and stay up late, the player must eat well, go to bed early and take a nap after lunch, but I never thought it was a sacrifice.”

Status
Not open for further replies.