Everton Transfer Thread - Summer 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
To be fair some of it is wind up stuff, others I think it’s people not wanting it to fail and get panicky due to past experiences of these things. Fans pay too much attention to these “ITK” type accounts these days, even Alan Myers doesn’t learn sometimes and need to wind it in.

When was the last example of a transfer being this close and then falling through tho?

Player on merseyside, loads of credible sources saying it’s pretty much done?

Suppose you could say Gabriel but it was outside the transfer window so it’s not like he was on the verge of signing.

Manny Fernandez? Odija-Ofoe?

To be fair some of it is wind up stuff, others I think it’s people not wanting it to fail and get panicky due to past experiences of these things. Fans pay too much attention to these “ITK” type accounts these days, even Alan Myers doesn’t learn sometimes and need to wind it i
I spent all day walking in the trough of bowland with no phone signal yesterday fully expecting that when I got home these transfers would be completed. This is Everton though we go at our pace!!

I think we need to think about it for what it is mate, football is going into recession. As you eloquently put it, there are significant pressures on clubs, with footfall, Tv, commercial revenue all at risk. Before any of this really we were seeing a slow down in the exponential growth in Tv rights.

The pandemic has been hugely and subtlety unhelpful. even down to people pausing Sky sports for a few months and realised they can well live without and watch match of the day instead.

Its inevitable really, all industry's go through boom and bust and football is heading toward a recession.

What this means for Sustainability and Cost in the PL and FFP in Europe (which was in trouble any way) is anyone guess. For me i think its pretty nailed on that both will be shelved for the next couple of years, they were rules to regulate a boom, not a recession and i think in the next while, governing bodies will want clubs to get revenue in any way they can, PL and Uefa - dont forget they have their noses at the trough to.

I think the crash is happening, but its often in the months after the true effect is felt so in 6 months time you are going to start hearing tales of woe, we might even see the loss of transfer window so clubs can trade. It also begs the question for me, is with the loss of growth in the game that has always printed money will we see owners look for a return on their investment now and takeovers etc and values drop.

Its going to be interesting to see how it all unfolds, but i think we are definitely heading into the first football recession in a long time and many of the rules governing the boom, like sustainability and cost PL rules, FFP and maybe even transfer windows going out the window.

Good post. I'll try to take bit by bit.

Absolutely on the first point. We can go around the houses on what it means, and get complex, but it's just a recession. I suspect a very deep andsharp recession but a recession. The issue you have, is football fans, particularly in this country can't get their heads around what that means. They just assume the bubble can keep going forever and you can keep spending money- you can't.

The TV revenues is a good point. I saw that actually price per game was already reducing. They were getting around this by increasing the number of games. This is a foolhardy strategy for a couple of reasons. It doesn't seek to hold the value up so speeds up a devaluation process, and secondly the quality of games being shown goes down so again the value gets lower. The Covid situation just acts as a motor for those trends. The value in football was already decreasing. When people start cancelling sky subscriptions wait to see what happens next.

The crash has come but the after affects haven't. Football exists one step behind that. As people become unemployed, businesses downsize, investment in the country declines etc all the key income channels go down. Even small things like stadium tours become harder. Big pre-season lucrative friendly tours become harder. I know I go on about them, but clubs like Liverpool, or United will not just have been banking on pre-Covid levels of income (call it 100) but will have wanted 100 + 20. Liverpool are particularly guilty of this, they hedge massively on the growth, as venture capitalists tend too. Sometimes people will borrow money onthe back of never ending growth, and when the growth doesn't come you're in big trouble.

I think the era of big takeovers has gone really. The Newcastle takeover, whether or not it was a seismic takeover (which is highly doubtful) the PL have effectively put the message out countries aren't welcome to invest. You'll probably get a lot more spivs involved looking to make a quick buck, putting money up for a couple of years then dissappearing if it doesn't work. Essentially like throwing money on a roulette wheel and hoping to hit. So you worry for clubs really, I certainly wouldn't want to be taken over in this context.

I am watching with interest, you are seeing the freying at West Ham already. Other clubs are in that bracket but they probably keep it under wraps longer. You probably realise, that how well you can present to an investor, or a bank manager, or a creditor probably buys you some time this summer. It seems obvious that West Ham, with their owners just don't win any trust so they're not being given much credit. Others will.

As you say though, this is all perfectly normal in the real world. Recessions happen. One thing that does not happen in recessions is that the existing order and size of businesses emerges exctly the same as it did before the recession hits. We will see a major shakeup over the coming years.

When was the last example of a transfer being this close and then falling through tho?

Suppose you could say Gabriel but it was outside the transfer window so it’s not like he was on the verge of signing.

....I distinctly remember the panic when Niasse left FF without signing only to return shortly after to complete the deal as the window shut. In hindsight, wish he wouldn’t have bothered.

....I distinctly remember the panic when Niasse left FF without signing only to return shortly after to complete the deal as the window shut. In hindsight, wish he wouldn’t have bothered.

From the outside, these things do take time. With James there is image rights payemnts etc to all be agreed. Quite a lot of Ts and Is to be dotted and crossed. Loyalty payments from Madrid, maybe disagreements over who owned what bit of commercial property. I can't say I'm massively concerned.

Leroy Fer
Eva Bangera

Ummm...

Lol Fabrizio Raveneilli

All clubs go through failed deals, then we have the “Everton that” mentality still going on and as I say, people give too much credence to ITK folk who lets be honest are only interested in attention and gratification, according to some of them they were signed, done some days ago and people get mad when the club hasn’t confirmed it .

25m isn't a bargain for a player whose only above average season was 4 years ago and when he played with Bernardo and Mbappe.

We must have seen a different player in 2017/18 (Monaco) and 2018/19 (Atletico).

I thought he was still class in that final season (why his fee was enormous) in a side who lacked their stars.

First year for Atletico i also thought he was a solid 7/10 player...which is in a defensive system that took away alot of what he offers. This year hes suffered.

Even £120mil Joao Felix looks like a dice roll in that Atletico side last season.

£25mil bargain.

Keane and Coleman I understand, tbf I dunno why I didn't put Mina in ahead of Keane. You'd think if we get James, Doucoure and Allan sorted we'll focus on RB next.

Also on Gomes, he thrived when he had Gana's energy around him. I reckon Allan and Doucoure could well help the good parts of his game shine again, though as you say we may just go 442.

Did he thrive? I remember everyone being impressed and hoping after half a season he would add consistency but he never did.

Other than at Valencia hes not been at the top level consistently.

Pace in the team would really allow us to improve our game. Emerson and lemar would be brilliant
Only have to look at the RS. Very slow midfield but on breaks that front 3 is so quick. Pace and power is everything in this league. Those 2 would provide that

Emerson and James makes an ideal pairing for me. Emerson like a bullet train down the flank and James cutting inside.

Likewise on the left with Digne hugging the line and Lemar cutting inside.

Well balanced and exciting players.

We must have seen a different player in 2017/18 (Monaco) and 2018/19 (Atletico).

I thought he was still class in that final season (why his fee was enormous) in a side who lacked their stars.

First year for Atletico i also thought he was a solid 7/10 player...which is in a defensive system that took away alot of what he offers. This year hes suffered.

Even £120mil Joao Felix looks like a dice roll in that Atletico side last season.

£25mil bargain.

Did he thrive? I remember everyone being impressed and hoping after half a season he would add consistency but he never did.

Other than at Valencia hes not been at the top level consistently.

Emerson and James makes an ideal pairing for me. Emerson like a bullet train down the flank and James cutting inside.

Likewise on the left with Digne hugging the line and Lemar cutting inside.

Well balanced and exciting players.
If we're signing a winger I don't want solid defensively in the second paragraph

From the outside, these things do take time. With James there is image rights payemnts etc to all be agreed. Quite a lot of Ts and Is to be dotted and crossed. Loyalty payments from Madrid, maybe disagreements over who owned what bit of commercial property. I can't say I'm massively concerned.

...nor me. I imagine he’s not centrally involved in discussions, it’ll be his representatives and he’ll just want it sorting.

Status
Not open for further replies.