Everton Transfer Thread - Summer 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have to move a lot out, we will see how that goes.
Just one quick point, as people have less money, it will be harder to sell players. We are fortunate many are out of contract,

GK: Pickford / Lossl
RB: Coleman
CB: Mina / Branthwaite / Gibson / Holgate / Keane
LB: DIgne / Nkounkou
RM: James
CM: Davies / Gomes / Gbamin / Doucoure / Allan
LM: Iwobi / Gordon
CF: Richarlison / Kean / DCL

Aside from Lossl, Coleman and Gibson these players (including the expected 3 arrivals) contracts expire in 3 years or more.

So yes, the rest expire in the next 2 seasons.

If we can bring in a right back, keeper and another wide midfielder we could be looking at our best squad of the premier league era.

I put a scenario up yesterday whereby BALE could sign
It would mean a bit of skullduggery financially wise but with USM its not impossible.
City were after koubailly but Messi might be the limit of their financial outlay.
Napoli are looking to sign the Arsenal CB Sokratis for free so maybe they are preparing for Koubailly exit
I know from media reports that Italian football is struggling financially
Usmanovs wallet and Carlo knowing the player well might make this happen
Couthino I do not think because of the scum connections

Yes to all of this.

Bale would need to take a wage cut, I didnt see that, but it could happen. China looks most likely, but you never know, Crucially Ancelotti has managed these lads before so knows all about them.

I wouldn't discount Coutinho. I sense he misses the city a bit. Having James on board, and Ancelotti will certainly raise eye brows.

If somehow USM lodged 20 m into a Swiss bank account for Bale thats 7M A YEAR so 140 k a week after tax 280k before tax
Pay him 120k aa week legit and thats 400k a week
Far fetched I know but I would say if Carlo pushed for Bale then something could be done

The PL are under severe pressure without doubt. Every international broadcaster will be looking at that, and seeing if the Chinese get a lower deal, and if they do watch them repeat. There will also be pressure on the domestic broadcasters to begin to follow suit and negotiate down. It's not the same product, Fans not being there makes it an inferior product. I was watching the darts for a bit last night, and it's not as good without fans so I switched off. They are within their rights to say they've paid for full stadiums and it's not beign delivered at all.

Wider than this, I would expect every commercial sponsor to be reviewing sponsorship deals. That doesn't mean they all cancel, but they are reviewed. It may mean some seek to to downgrade sponsor values. Clubs will not make this public, and will probably insist on confidentiality clauses, as once one sponsor gets wind of it, they will all be after it. This will be going on though. Those clubs who have signed relatively recent, and large new sponsor packages will be most suspectible (there's the smallest amount of customer loyalty).

I happen to agree with your broad picture too, the pressure placed on them gets worse. It seems twitter is full of experts who seem to treat FFP as akin to the commandments of Moses, as if ordained by god and passed down (and often seem to be American, perhaps they are just more au fait with regulation in sport). I saw the decision to merge years as a holding decision. It bought time, and allowed for some clubs to keep spending this summer without collapsing the market.

It also worked to the assumption, everything gets better by next March, or in reality everything is already better (so to show up in next March 2022's accounts which will show this season). I think thats an incredibly foolish assumption to have made. This really is the start of the process. Even when grounds partially re-open, with a couple of thousand allowed in, now allowed to sign etc, these people will not be buying merchandise. I also think uptake of commercial boxes will be greatly down. I don't see it recovering to pre Covid levels for some time.

I know some on here think we will be singularly punished. If everyone loses money and you punish one business not others, that looks like unfair competition and you end up getting sued at CAS. It's really that simple. CAS are an objective body, who couldn't care less who is the percieved favourites or have the most entitled fans etc. They look at the facts. If you have rules that favour certain clubs, and you enact those rules, you lose in court. City have just proven this.

It looks like we keep spending, within reason. And yes I expect the legislation around FFP to completely break down through this crisis. Above all else it is inflation busting legislation, at a deflationary period. It's just not needed.

I think we need to think about it for what it is mate, football is going into recession. As you eloquently put it, there are significant pressures on clubs, with footfall, Tv, commercial revenue all at risk. Before any of this really we were seeing a slow down in the exponential growth in Tv rights.

The pandemic has been hugely and subtlety unhelpful. even down to people pausing Sky sports for a few months and realised they can well live without and watch match of the day instead.

Its inevitable really, all industry's go through boom and bust and football is heading toward a recession.

What this means for Sustainability and Cost in the PL and FFP in Europe (which was in trouble any way) is anyone guess. For me i think its pretty nailed on that both will be shelved for the next couple of years, they were rules to regulate a boom, not a recession and i think in the next while, governing bodies will want clubs to get revenue in any way they can, PL and Uefa - dont forget they have their noses at the trough to.

I think the crash is happening, but its often in the months after the true effect is felt so in 6 months time you are going to start hearing tales of woe, we might even see the loss of transfer window so clubs can trade. It also begs the question for me, is with the loss of growth in the game that has always printed money will we see owners look for a return on their investment now and takeovers etc and values drop.

Its going to be interesting to see how it all unfolds, but i think we are definitely heading into the first football recession in a long time and many of the rules governing the boom, like sustainability and cost PL rules, FFP and maybe even transfer windows going out the window.

Yes to all of this.

Bale would need to take a wage cut, I didnt see that, but it could happen. China looks most likely, but you never know, Crucially Ancelotti has managed these lads before so knows all about them.

I wouldn't discount Coutinho. I sense he misses the city a bit. Having James on board, and Ancelotti will certainly raise eye brows.

Do you really want Bale? He's completely lost all drive and determination to succeed in football, he's happy to sit on the bench at Real and pick up his paycheck - must like Ozil at Arsenal. Wouldn't go near him at this stage of his career.

Status
Not open for further replies.