Confirmed Signing James Rodriguez

Status
Not open for further replies.
Friday’s edition of AS has an excellent column titled ‘The strange case of James Rodriguez’

The author, Javier Aznar, is clearly a fan, but doesn’t hide away from the player’s issues, and has a few paragraphs which will be interesting for Everton fans.

He starts off by saying: ‘Francis Scott Fitzgerald said he liked to drink because when he drank things happened. I like to see James play because when he is on the pitch things happen: a pass to the space, a shot that only he sees, a custom cross or a giant grasshopper that perches on his shirt in the middle of a World Cup match. He’s that kind of player. Even in his most bland game, he’s capable of that great left-handed punch.

Screen-Shot-2020-09-03-at-10.26.42-187x300.png
‘But James’ career has gradually faded, like that of those child actors, until he fell into a certain insignificance. We blink a little and, suddenly, James is already 29 years old and is about to face the peak of his career by signing for Everton, twelfth in the Premier. What happened? How did we arrive at this situation? Who killed James Rodriguez?’

Aznar suggests the player’s main problem has been himself, he’s ‘maybe too special’ and requires a specific set of circumstances to be at his best. One of those is having Ancelotti as his manager, and whilst Aznar rightly suggests it’s never a good sign when a top footballer needs a particular coach to shine, it’s obviously not an issue for Everton right now.

Perhaps the best part of the column is when James is compared to a linen jacket: ‘For a while James became for Real Madrid that linen jacket that you have in your wardrobe and that may not be for every day, but when you wear it, you feel like the king of the world because nothing suits you better. You are unique with it. It is different from other jackets. But you can’t start your wardrobe there. And if you wear it on a winter day, maybe they look at you strangely, or you freeze with cold. It’s a slight eccentricity, a whim, almost a guilty pleasure. A luxury.’

Again, it’s worth pointing out Aznar is generally positive towards the soon-to-be Everton player, and ends his column by saying: ‘I’ll keep watching him play on the banks of the Mersey, sitting on the edge of the sofa, waiting for that moment. His moment.’

taken from sportwitness

By my reckoning, he would only be the 31 at the end of a 3 year contract. The same age as Gareth Bale. And I don't think anyone denies he could still perform in the Premier League.
As far as I can see James game isn’t about pace either so you’d imagine he will still be able to perform consistently into his 30s provided he stays injury free.

Dunno he's not done much for a while. There are some questions about his attitude which may be unfounded. But mainly because everyone we sign turns out rubbish

Every player we seem to buy has "attitude problems", always crap. He'll be one of the best players in the league, his fitness is the only thing to worry about, but he'll do plenty enough when he's on the pitch.

Status
Not open for further replies.