Confirmed Signing James Rodriguez

Status
Not open for further replies.
Eto'o was 33 when he signed significantly older than James is and him along with everyone else thought Martinez was a joke.

Just the 60 million followers across instagram and twitter. Them mint shirts will be flying out in no Kevin Campbell 29
Richard Gough 37
Peter Beardsley 30

Great signings.
[/QUOTE]

agreed, I might get one myself! sometimes signing a player like that can be a catalyst to attracting other players and can give existing players a kick up the backside or a boost, it will be interesting to see what formation we play with him though, I dont see him in a 442

Don't really care what his injury record is like tbh. Compared to our midfield this guy is like Messi.

Get him signed. Be nice having a decent player that actually wants to play for us.

really? Hmmmm that’s just silly, especially when you consider how many crocks we have on the books at present.

What don’t people understand? We can sign proven quality that will take us to the next level as well as signing younger talents and developing them. The two things are not mutually exclusive!

People are bringing up Bayern - they had Boateng, Neuer, Muller, Lewandoski and Thiago starting for them in the CL final.

They are when funds are limited.

We signed Kean and within 3 months he is being hounded out with torches and pitchforks for not being good enough might have something to do with it.

Thats simply not true. He gets defended just as much on these forums(not by me)
I dont think its much to have asked for a little more than has been returned by him. Nobody as far as i can see demanded instant success.
Most if not all want something to grasp he is worth pursuing with long(ish) term. Thats all.
Total exaggeration to say he is being hounded out.

I will have absolutely no shame parading round a James Everton shirt as a 30 year old man. Haven’t got a name on since I was about 16 but this guy is world class.

Really hope we get this, as well as Allan and Doucoure over the line. Stick Gordon on the left and you’ve got a great midfield.

really? Hmmmm that’s just silly, especially when you consider how many crocks we have on the books at present.

Signing any player is a gamble injury wise including players that don't have a poor injury record. This guy is certainly not a crock compared to some of the current tossers wearing a blue shirt and if Carlo rates him then that will do for me.

I don't know why outsiders/pundits look at his game starts, They don't know how bad this Everton team really is, It's honestly surprising we managed to finish 12th, Our midfield/creative options is DIRE, If James can give us 20+ games a season that would be perfectly fine.

But James isn't the kind of player who is going to stop Bournemouth giving us the runaround. He's a better player on the ball than he is off it, so not sure how that point works in this case.

Every good player starts somewhere, I guess personally I'd like to see us get players before they hit their prime and see a side come through, rather than us constantly trying to get a player at the tail end of his career who is looking for a payday. Over the years our better players have been the younger, hungrier players as they've got something to prove and make a name for themselves in the game.

I'd rather see him play than the current RW options no doubt, but I just feel it's 'almost lazy scouting' on the club's behalf, in that they don't seem able to go out and get a player who is a better fit who is just waiting for the chance to make a name for themselves.

No I appreciate he's probably not stylistically, but everything he's done in his career suggests, even if he was at say 75% of his peak he'd give us a far greater goal threat than any of our midfielders both in terms of chance creation and scoring.

I agree with you, I'd like us to sign young up and coming players, but it's a very condensed market and one where top European players want to be playing in Europe. Our issue is very much we either take a very big gamble, probably from a smaller league (or at best a Moise Kean) and hope they come good, or we go the other way and hope we can get the best from James. I think both have their ups and downs.

He's coming laads

Screenshot_20200826_161806.jpg

Other teams are managing to find them...

On the James point I should clarify I don't think he is substandard. I was referring more to Tosun, Walcott, Gylfi etc. in that. The problem with James is age, cost and injury record. He might even produce a stellar season but it's a short-sighted transfer imo. It would be a dream if he had a magic season, delivered a Champions League place, and unlocked a flood of prosperity over the next decade; but sadly I just don't see that happening at all.

Are they though? Who have they signed, that is unproven and available at a lower fee, while not in Europe?

I mean it can be done, but we have tried this, with Vlasic, Lookman, Onyekuru to a degree Kean and it's just not worked.

I mean I do share some of your concerns, but I don't think it's a simple solution at all. I also think James is much much better than all of our midfielders, even based on his Bayern form, never mind what he did at Madrid. I don't think we can attract someone with James's Bayern form who is under 25.

I don't know why outsiders/pundits look at his game starts, They don't know how bad this Everton team really is, It's honestly surprising we managed to finish 12th, Our midfield/creative options is DIRE, If James can give us 20+ games a season that would be perfectly fine.
And there lies the key point, which perhaps/probably has meant Carlo has looked for people he knows and can rely upon because we can't rely on prospects.

Starting the season with Rodríguez and Allan in the midfield rather than Davies and Walcott is an immense jump; add Doucoure and it's a mass change.

Status
Not open for further replies.