Confirmed Signing James Rodriguez

Status
Not open for further replies.
Neither James nor Allan are either "ageing" or "substandard"
FFS why do people think that players are over the hill once their voice breaks?

I can't speak for anyone else but personally I think we're best signing players in that sweet spot between sitting their GCSEs and their A-Levels

Reactions: kev
Neither James nor Allan are either "ageing" or "substandard"
FFS why do people think that players are over the hill once their voice breaks?

It's pretty well understood now -- across a multitude of sports -- that players peak both in terms of performance and value. I'm not against the odd signing like Allan, but we really need to be focusing more on younger players who will improve over the next 5 years, not decline. Relative to their current level, who do you expect to be performing better and providing more value in three years' time: Richarlison or James?

Are there enoigh quality young players to go around though? To a club not in Europe, who has finished 12th? I think we are finding there is not.

The other point I'd take issue with, is that James is substandard. I don't buy that at all. He might not be good enough for the best team in Europe currently, and he may well be on the decline, but relative to our midfield he's anything but substandard. In our last 2 games we've got given the run around by Bournemouth, and scraped a draw at Blackpool.

But James isn't the kind of player who is going to stop Bournemouth giving us the runaround. He's a better player on the ball than he is off it, so not sure how that point works in this case.

Every good player starts somewhere, I guess personally I'd like to see us get players before they hit their prime and see a side come through, rather than us constantly trying to get a player at the tail end of his career who is looking for a payday. Over the years our better players have been the younger, hungrier players as they've got something to prove and make a name for themselves in the game.

I'd rather see him play than the current RW options no doubt, but I just feel it's 'almost lazy scouting' on the club's behalf, in that they don't seem able to go out and get a player who is a better fit who is just waiting for the chance to make a name for themselves.

It's pretty well understood now -- across a multitude of sports -- that players peak both in terms of performance and value. I'm not against the odd signing like Allan, but we really need to be focusing more on younger players who will improve over the next 5 years, not decline. Relative to their current level, who do you expect to be performing better and providing more value in three years' time: Richarlison or James?
I'm pretty sure we will be doing this also.

Are there enoigh quality young players to go around though? To a club not in Europe, who has finished 12th? I think we are finding there is not.

The other point I'd take issue with, is that James is substandard. I don't buy that at all. He might not be good enough for the best team in Europe currently, and he may well be on the decline, but relative to our midfield he's anything but substandard. In our last 2 games we've got given the run around by Bournemouth, and scraped a draw at Blackpool.

Other teams are managing to find them...

On the James point I should clarify I don't think he is substandard. I was referring more to Tosun, Walcott, Gylfi etc. in that. The problem with James is age, cost and injury record. He might even produce a stellar season but it's a short-sighted transfer imo. It would be a dream if he had a magic season, delivered a Champions League place, and unlocked a flood of prosperity over the next decade; but sadly I just don't see that happening at all.

What don’t people understand? We can sign proven quality that will take us to the next level as well as signing younger talents and developing them. The two things are not mutually exclusive!

People are bringing up Bayern - they had Boateng, Neuer, Muller, Lewandoski and Thiago starting for them in the CL final.

No one builds sides anymore Kind Sir... No one is afforded the time to build sides especially at a club like Everton. Also we've got a young side,good quality experience is what we lack,but is also what I think we're looking to sign.

I'd disagree on all points. We've got a few good players, Richarlison, DCL, Holgate and er. Digne is a good more experienced player, after that who is there? The whole squad needs a rebuild. Most sides try to rebuild their squad over a 3 year period. Over the park they put together a squad like that and grew together and did quite well. Moyes when he came in, built a decent squad which grew together and moved us up the table. His problem was he couldn't improve on it and he didn't want to rebuild it.

I'd just rather see Everton spend the limited resources on players who are looking to make a name for themselves in the game. Lukaku was a prime example, he came in, hungry for success, did well and moved on for a big profit. A few more players of that kind of mould and you've got yourself a good side, and a decent transfer war chest. After a while the better players wont need to leave. Other clubs have managed it, why do Everton keep buying expensive flops?

Status
Not open for further replies.