Confirmed Signing James Rodriguez

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bayern choose not to sign him -- despite liking him -- for the benefit of long-term development of their younger players. Those younger players then go on to help them with the CL a year later.

For us it's even riskier: we can't afford failed large signings like the top clubs in Europe (whether it's because of injuries or failing to adapt); we need resale value to bridge that gap; and it's easier for us to embed youth in our team.

I'm not against a couple of older signings at the right price and in the right positions, like Allan. But for James I think I'd only be happy with it on loan or at a heavily discounted fee.
Madness mate.

We are Everton. We have no right to be turning down players like James.

We've got loads of younger players. How about some actual proven footballers?

Oh for sure. If he gets to the form he reached at Bayern - a league far more similar to ours than Spain - he's going to be one of the best players in the division.

I saw somethong from Rob Palmer, saying he was great in 2014, but so were Walcott and Sigurdsson. And you're thinking-eh what? They were both ok, but never in the same bracket. One used to be bench fodder for an Arsenal team that won nothing, the other flopped at Spurs, via Reading and was at Swansea. There isn't half a lot of rubbish spoken.

Bayern choose not to sign him -- despite liking him -- for the benefit of long-term development of their younger players. Those younger players then go on to help them with the CL a year later.

For us it's even riskier: we can't afford failed large signings like the top clubs in Europe (whether it's because of injuries or failing to adapt); we need resale value to bridge that gap; and it's easier for us to embed youth in our team.

I'm not against a couple of older signings at the right price and in the right positions, like Allan. But for James I think I'd only be happy with it on loan or at a heavily discounted fee.

But Bayern can go and sign Sane in the summer to replace him. We can't get anywhere near that quality. Like, if you're European champions you don't need to be scraping anyones begging bowl for players.

I saw somethong from Rob Palmer, saying he was great in 2014, but so were Walcott and Sigurdsson. And you're thinking-eh what? They were both ok, but never in the same bracket. One used to be bench fodder for an Arsenal team that won nothing, the other flopped at Spurs, via Reading and was at Swansea. There isn't half a lot of rubbish spoken.

Hahahahaha no way did someone actually say that. Incredible what goes on in some people’s heads.

It's absolutely insane isn't it. He's on a totally different level to those sort of players. The only sensible comparison is to say, when we were blasting around £50m, we expected to be aiming at top tier players... and not Gylfi and Co.

I think it is a quasi-fair "argument". He looked poised to challenge the Messi/Ronaldo level. He didn't. Still doesn't mean he is crap tho. He would still be one of the best players we have had in decades.

*edit* missed that he mentioned Walcott/Iceland. That's a pretty daft argument, neither of them were anywhere near his level or expectations. Ever.

We don't have to be Bayern Munich to sign young players of high quality that suit the team's style. There are many teams with less financial resource than EFC doing a far better job at recruitment for the long-term.

Richarlison won't be with us much longer if we keep finishing 12th, regardless of signing James or other past-their-peak talent. He'll stay if we have a good team that can get into Europe. And even if we do that, he's not staying when one of the mega-clubs comes in. We're deluded if we think Richarlison is staying with us until he's 32. We should accept he's going to leave and keep the conveyor belt moving by investing in the next Richarlison before he goes.
We are equally deluded if we dont acknowledge that we need quality immediately. Lets not rewrite history either, a lot of us were complaining about spending 50 mill on Richy at the time. He was seen as a gamble at that price. Bayern have everything in place to manage both those aspects though and constantly have that blend of proven quality and potential in youth.

We are devoid of any leadership on the pitch, with very few genuine quality players. Theres a lot of young potential but also a lot of average so so players on big wages who have never achieved much in professional football. James Rodriguez at 29, raring to go on a 25mill transfer fee is a snip. Exactly the type of signing we need imo.

It's absolutely insane isn't it. He's on a totally different level to those sort of players. The only sensible comparison is to say, when we were blasting around £50m, we expected to be aiming at top tier players... and not Gylfi and Co.

It's just a lack of nuance.

If you want to say he's not the player he was in 2014 then fine, I'd agree with that. But a guy at 50% of where he was in 2014 would waltz into this team. Hes not declining from the same point as Walcott and Sigurdsson.

Status
Not open for further replies.