Everton Transfer Thread - Summer 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
can't think in a vacuum, you think their form would've been the same, playing here?

"once everton has touched you...."
Honestly yes. 2017 was the window we needed to get it right and push on, but we completely missed the boat and it’s put us back years. If we’d signed Robertson and Maguire along with Pickford and Rooney I think there would’ve been a right buzz about the place especially with going into Europe. Let’s face it Baines legs were gone then and Martina spent most of the season at LB! We just needed to add a consistent midfielder into the mix to tie it together

13m for a international rb at his "peak" from a very good team seems good business.

Only ever seen him a handful of times but didn't really stand out, which as a defender isn't a bad thing as he didn't do anything wrong?

Solid signing if it comes off.

I'm worried about our central midfielders still. We can have the best CB's in the world but it'll matter for nothing when the opposition can walk through our midfield like they were.
The only one I would keep is Gomes, I think he's still got quality left in him. The rest are burning money for all I care.
There's every chance we go in with what we've already got and it'll make for a flat season yet again.

I'm not talking about signing people from the 4th tier of Madagascan football like. I'm saying that the likes of Robertson, Mane, Van Dijk, Wijnaldum etc were players who we could have been picking up before they became the household names they are now. I'm saying that we paid a combined £75m for Richarlison and Mina, when both of them had moved within the previous 12 months for about a quarter of that. There is value to be had in the market, same as there always has been. For whatever reason, in the last 5/6 years we haven't been great at finding it.

I think you're conflating a few points here mate. Mane and Van Dijk were signed from the same club, and certainly Van Dijk (likely Mane too) would be out of our current range. Wijnaldum, he is one we could have bought, a bit unfavoured from a relegated team, and Robertson quite unfavoured from a team that got relegated. It's perhaps worth noting if we were to go for (for example) a Cantwell, Brooks, King etc.

As for Richarlinson and Mine, yes they were bought before, both were boight from South America. It's very hard to get permits, we wouldn't have got one for Mina, and maybe for Richarlinson. That though is a very different approach to the one Liverpool have had.

I think we really need to work out where we fit, where other people people fit, and ultimately where a realistic zone model of player for us to buy can come from. I still don't see enough of that currently. I mean with Liverpool, in relation to Mane and Salah it's now well known they were ot first choice, but it was accepted both were fast and direct so if all else failed and they remained erratic they would at least fit what Klopp was attempting to do.

For us it's a question of trying to have an idea of what Ancelotti wants to do. To me its why I'm not as hung up on buying younger players.If Ancelotti required more intelligent, tactically flexible players, maybe some older players make sense if value can be sought. We are right to negotiate hard. I am seeing Arias and Allan linked, if we can get the pair for under £30m we are markedly improving two areas of the pitch for not an enormous sum of money.

Yes, and he has since explained to you that he wasn't talking about signing players for the under 23s. I said I wasn't talking about under 23s either, and yet you've given a load of examples of...under 23s. I'm not saying we're not trying or it's dead easy or whatever. I'm just saying it often feels like we're shopping in a pretty obvious market and it's not really got us anywhere. Look at the sides around us in the table last year and compare the profile of most of their squads to ours. They are generally comprised of cheaper and less well known players, and yet they are competing (and in some cases outperforming) us. I've said before, 90% of the Liverpool squad that's just won the league would have been attainable for us at some point and instead we've overpaid elsewhere. We need to try to identify players who are capable of performing at a very high level for us but haven't yet hit the big time. It's the only way we can build a side to compete in my opinion. They are out there, but we've not been very good at getting them in for whatever reason.
We probably could identify those players but who wants to play for us! I mean if we’d thrown £40m at Roma for Salah d’ya think he would’ve come? I think you are right though, we do seem to completely miss very attainable targets that go on to excel, only need to look at Wolves or under the RS to see that. If feels like we’re doing a Utd under Van Gaal without the allure of the club

Talk of Santiago Arias for £13m, would be good business, I know he is 28, but personally I dont think Coleman can play in the games against teams in the top half of the table, we need a RB for right now and I think Arias can go straight into the team and be at a good level for at least 2 seasons.
Where have you got £13 Million from?
13m for a international rb at his "peak" from a very good team seems good business.

Only ever seen him a handful of times but didn't really stand out, which as a defender isn't a bad thing as he didn't do anything wrong?

Solid signing if it comes off.

If Brands signs Arias for £13mil + misses out on Gabriel then i'll put one foot in the -- do not extend his contract group.

Arias for anything but a loan or perhaps £5mil 3 year deal would be really disappointing.

Status
Not open for further replies.