Old Everton Pictures

Think it was 0-2 Toffees. Last time we met at league level till 2010-11. I think it was 2-2 at BR and the epic 5-3 game at GP. Tangerines should of got a point but just wouldn't stop attacking lol Holloway that!
1270 19.09.70 Morrissey v Blackpool (A) Johnny Morissey opens the scoring at Blackpool, two mi...JPG
1271 19.09.70 Husband v Blackpool (A) Jimmy Husband sends Blackpool keeper,Thomson,, the wrong...JPG

This should have been the result that made the championship ours. After the 30 games played at that stage we led by 8 pts. The RS had virtually given up on winning the league and Dalgleish set about experimenting with line ups and tactics eg Molby brought back into the side as a centre-back. I can remember them playing at Spurs ( TV game I think) in their next game and not being remotely concerned when they scored a last minute winner. They went on to win all their remaining games bar one draw. Unfortunately our run in was distinctly average for the quality we had, winning only 7 of the remaining dozen games.
To then lose the Cup Final as well was devastating. In both the league and in the Final we were the better side. I can recall Terry Venables after the Cup Final saying it was unbelievable that the best team in the country had not won at least one of the trophies.
So, even then, with a side that feared no one, certainly no sign of an inferiority complex with regard to the RS, we did an Everton.

Yes I remember their away game at Spurs on TV and I was laughing at how bad they were. Unfortunately, Spurs were equally bad and gave away a comedy goal right at the end to hand them the points. As for the Cup Final....that was the hardest defeat for me - for them to win the double with a much inferior team to us made me physically ill and I was off work for weeks!

We had a bit of luck against B Moenchengladbach - Rankin's "save" should never have stood - he was close enough to the penalty taker to kiss him! Other times, the luck was out as you say. But, the bitter truth for me is that there wasn't enough quality in the team, or as back up, to get us over the line, despite the big names that we still had.

I know that people talk about the possibly bent refereeing in Greece but maybe they forget how laboured we were against them at Goodison.

As for Old Trafford - we could have gone in at half time 2 - 0 up but for the fact that Whittle tried a speculative shot (to be kind) instead of passing to an unmarked Bally in the centre.

In the 49th. minute, Labone went off, Sandy took his place and we were truly the goose that was cooked.

For me, it's not "Everton that" - just a lack of good investment in the squad and a couple of guys who were showing their age. But what do I know!
Couldn't agree that we laboured against Panathinaikos. It was one of the most one sided games I'd ever seen. A 5-1 scoreline would have been a truer reflection.