What does Everton FC mean to you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Winning still gives me a good feeling, losing doesn’t hurt as much as it used to unless...
1) it is against them lot
2) it is due to the lads in blue not giving a ****!
3) 1 & 2 combined, still ruins my entire week and still kicks off my ulcer!

I started going in 83 with my dad. I now go with my daughter who is 5 and my partner. My best season was under Smith were I missed 3 games all season due to going to Florida, then again I had only missed two games all season before the pandemic so was on for my best season. I have spent thousands of pounds on Everton, not just season tickets, away trips but also I make sure I get the kits every year. I remember going to Wembley against Chelsea with my 18 year old brother who didn’t have a ticket. We bought one for £360 outside and he only had £150 so I gave him the money just so he could go his first cup final.
Would I change anything? No. Would I support anyone else? Never. I love them, I miss them, they are my world with my kids. I don’t expect to see them win a trophy again in my life time, but every year I believe they will and despite years and years of misery. I wouldn’t change a thing.
I hope my daughter grows up and continues the family trend of Everton FC.

When I was younger, Everton meant everything to me. If we won, I would be walking on air and couldn't wait for the next game to hurry up and come around so I could watch us (hopefully) winning again; if we lost or drew, I would feel so empty and disappointed and couldn't wait for the next game to come around so I could watch us trying to get back on track. Basically I would wish the weeks away just wanting to the games to arrive as quickly as possible.

Now I'm a lot more detached from the results. Winning is still fantastic and losing is still disappointing, but I don't allow the outcome of a game of football dictate my mood etc. for the rest of the weekend or week... life's just too short for that.

Everton to me is family , I was born into an Everton mad house in Clubmoor , its the thing I miss most being thousands of miles away , two of the best and worst moments supporting Everton are stitched into my memory as though they were yesterday - The King Derby in the GSE and The West Ham FAC S/F replay respectively.

I sacrificed , relationships , money , nearly lost a left arm in a car crash going to Swaziland to watch the 83 Milk Cup Final still have the metal plate as it was the only TV station showing the game live , I now have twin sons in their 30,s who - you guessed it " Are Everton Mad "

used to be mad about them, spent money i never had following them risked jobs staying off ect while life was based around them, would not go on holiday if we were at home , once went to a family wedding and left to go the game and came back afterwards (that went down well) used my days off for them rather than my family when we are at home, but now I still want them to win ect but it means less , I honestly think I have lost the love of the game , not just Everton.
I used to get wound up by then , not anymore ,said a while back I wouldn't go every game while Kenwright was around the king of mediocrity and have stuck by it, still watch every game and the kids teams if I can but the longer i don't go the less I miss it.
if you had said I would be like that 4 years or so a go people would have said you were mad.

Used to care a lot up until about 21 or so, then I thought what's the point if having a hobby if it's more stress than enjoyment.

I just check the score after the match now. It's much more relaxing this way.

Haven't watched football properly for years. As a group of mates we gradually stopped and that's that really. Never think about sitting down on my own and watching football.

I was asked to work a Saturday, in my youth (this was 1983,jobs in this city were like hens teeth).
I said no,Everton are playing.
I was told we really need you to work or your no use to us.
I enjoyed the match, and signed on ,on the Monday.

used to be mad about them, spent money i never had following them risked jobs staying off ect while life was based around them, would not go on holiday if we were at home , once went to a family wedding and left to go the game and came back afterwards (that went down well) used my days off for them rather than my family when we are at home, but now I still want them to win ect but it means less , I honestly think I have lost the love of the game , not just Everton.
I used to get wound up by then , not anymore ,said a while back I wouldn't go every game while Kenwright was around the king of mediocrity and have stuck by it, still watch every game and the kids teams if I can but the longer i don't go the less I miss it.
if you had said I would be like that 4 years or so a go people would have said you were mad.

Age does this to you. Kids watching today think diving and play acting is what the game is about. I can’t stand it. I get to few games these days, but the results each week still come as a kick in the gut if it’s gone badly. I can just about take a loss of a point if the team have really tried, but it’s like none of them give a toss on occasions. I’m hopeful for the future but as has been said ‘it’s the hope that kills you’......

Everything.

Big part of my identity, which is a shame as they ruin every weekend, but wouldn't change it.

Reactions: JLW

Status
Not open for further replies.